EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-26-2021, 06:48 PM   #67
MakeMuricaGreater
Second Account Already
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82M4 E92M3 E71X6M 992TurboS

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDriftYou View Post
Replaced mine with the Turner plate and poly/solid bushings, did it before they cracked. It is a proper PITA to replace, you have to drop the whole subframe, took us about 5 hours
The Turner plate and their bushings set are the ideal solution. Glad I did the same!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 07:18 PM   #68
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

How much differential noise do you hear using the ECS bushings? Is it noticeable at all or very faint where you can only hear it if you really listen for it?

I came from solid aluminum diff bushings on my last car so I know my tolerance for NVH lol

I'm considering the turner kit but using a softer bushing like the power flex purple. Seems like that setup is 25% stiffer than stock with absolutely zero added drivetrain noise.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 07:29 PM   #69
MakeMuricaGreater
Second Account Already
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82M4 E92M3 E71X6M 992TurboS

It's slightly noticeable but nothing close to what I have on my E92 M3. The wife noticed it and felt a bit of the difference in vibration, but only in lower RPM's. She too has adjusted.
Appreciate 1
hellokitty2891.00
      06-26-2021, 07:46 PM   #70
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
How much differential noise do you hear using the ECS bushings? Is it noticeable at all or very faint where you can only hear it if you really listen for it?

I came from solid aluminum diff bushings on my last car so I know my tolerance for NVH lol

I'm considering the turner kit but using a softer bushing like the power flex purple. Seems like that setup is 25% stiffer than stock with absolutely zero added drivetrain noise.
I have the powerflex purple with the turner mount and now I'm curious what the ECS are like
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 08:03 PM   #71
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
Quote:

I have the powerflex purple with the turner mount and now I'm curious what the ECS are like
I don't think you'll notice a huge difference between the two unless you were lapping around the Nurburgring lol.

I would not change what you have right now since that's an OEM+ setup with really no downsides. ECS appears to make some noise which is what I am trying to avoid.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 08:12 PM   #72
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
Quote:

Here is a video I just found of the ECS kit. It seems to be very loud (I realize the car in question was gutted). However I'm looking for OEM+ so it looks like Turner Bracket + Power Flex Purple here I come lol

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 11:12 PM   #73
iDriftYou
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP 6 Speed

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeMuricaGreater View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDriftYou View Post
Replaced mine with the Turner plate and poly/solid bushings, did it before they cracked. It is a proper PITA to replace, you have to drop the whole subframe, took us about 5 hours
The Turner plate and their bushings set are the ideal solution. Glad I did the same!
I have VTT motor mount plates and ecs trans mounts (6MT), NVH is noticeable but I still daily my car, my biggest issue with the factory diff mounts was the drivetrain lash, completely eliminated after the ecs diff plate but clutch engagement is a lot less forgiving as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 11:57 PM   #74
peekeesh
Private
Rep
Drives: F48 and F80

sorry to bring this thread back but would a cracked bushing can cause a clunking sound from the rear? i hear noises when travelling on slow speeds and sometimes when reversing..

https://youtube.com/shorts/HJfg2vS2zyg?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 01:43 AM   #75
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekeesh View Post
sorry to bring this thread back but would a cracked bushing can cause a clunking sound from the rear? i hear noises when travelling on slow speeds and sometimes when reversing..

https://youtube.com/shorts/HJfg2vS2zyg?feature=share
Yes. You can easily check the condition of the bushing by crawling under the car.

You can see the diff bushing pretty well without lifting the car up if you crawl from under the rear.

Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      09-20-2021, 11:21 AM   #76
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Howdy!

So, I recently picked up a new to me f80, and during the PPI, the shop found the rear diff bushing craked. Signifigantly. They quoted a price too fix it, and I began to research the signs and symptoms as well as the fixes.

The noises I hear in your vid are different, but similar to what I heard. Whenever accelorating, or braking, I would hear a muted "thud". My impression was as the diff torqued, the stud in the busing rotates against the bad bushing, blowing through the rubber and banging agains the bushing housing.

Now, you sounds like something is very loose. Possiby it is the bushing, and it is just really torn. Or possibly, one of the front diff bushings are bad as well?

After much research and chatting with my shop, we agreed the Turer solution with stock bushing would be fine. Except, Turner ran out of the plates the week I went to buy one. Bummer.

Luckily, I did a quick search and a used plate popped up on Ebay, so I checked it out. It was a dismantler who was also selling the front diff plate with ECS bushings already installed. The sweet part od the deal was the $199 price. So I bought the set. I then decided to go for the "Street", purple poly bushings from Powerfelx as the shop and I felt it would not be too much increase in NHV.

Quoted install was 1250.
Actuall install cost was 1100.
Cost of pasrt was 199 for the plates from Ebay, 250 from PF.

I was very anxious when I picked up the car as I was weary of any over the top NVH. But I was pleasantly surprised to find the NVH was minimal. Thiis car already makes a bunch of noise (#becauseracecar), and being this is my weekend toy/semi-dd that the wife rarely drives, I was fine with some extra race car noise. The noise isnt neccessarily louder, just more clear. The "thud" is gone, but now as the torque shifts around as your speed changes, you get a distict "bump". But for me, that is the feedback I was hoping for from this upgrade. I can feel when the car has "seated" the torque, and I feel better geting on the gas hard now.

The best part is the rear end feels WAY more planted than before. Applying the power and torque is more manageable, and the power gets to the ground more efficiatly (butt dyno, so YMMV).

Anyway, I hope this helps others who are faced with havint to replace the rear diff bushing, or are looking to upgrade/bolster the rear end a bit.

josh
Appreciate 2
      04-21-2022, 01:10 AM   #77
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Heads up PowerFlex released their own diff kit including bracket and bushings. Much cheaper as a kit compared to buying everything separately.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Powerfle...-M2-M3-M4.html
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 07:35 AM   #78
kenf80
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I am getting the diff bushing replaced under warranty in a couple of weeks. I am going turner diff bracket and 2 OEM updated poly bushings.

Seeing as the dealer will be dropping subframes and all would you recommend I replace the front bushings as well even though they are fine? Thinking of just getting it done in 1 hit.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 11:26 AM   #79
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenf80 View Post
I am getting the diff bushing replaced under warranty in a couple of weeks. I am going turner diff bracket and 2 OEM updated poly bushings.

Seeing as the dealer will be dropping subframes and all would you recommend I replace the front bushings as well even though they are fine? Thinking of just getting it done in 1 hit.
Yes, is a must. You don't want the to have differential movement due to different styles of bushings (soft vs harder),plus it will prevent different loading/unloading off rear axle.
Keep it consistent, I bought the kit with the purple bushing inserts.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 11:29 PM   #80
F80COMP
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 COMPETITION

has anyone found a tool to remove the rear bush without having to fully dropping the subframe?
      04-21-2022, 11:36 PM   #81
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F80COMP View Post
has anyone found a tool to remove the rear bush without having to fully dropping the subframe?
No.

josh
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 12:17 AM   #82
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here is the tool but i think you still need to drop the subframe.

https://www.akgmotorsport.com/produc.../bushings-f80/

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 04:40 AM   #83
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
Yes, is a must. You don't want the to have differential movement due to different styles of bushings (soft vs harder),plus it will prevent different loading/unloading off rear axle.
Keep it consistent, I bought the kit with the purple bushing inserts.
I'm thinking keeping the OEM front diff bushings IS consistent, aren't the upgraded OEM foam/poly bushings just a replacement for the liquid filled rubber OEM bushings?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 12:23 PM   #84
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
You don't have to drop the subframe all the way out.

You can remove the rear subframe bolts and back the front subframe bolts (forward bolts on the rear subframe) out to the last several threads, and that will allow you to lower the back of the subframe down six inches or more.

Then support the subframe with jacks tands, unbolt the diff brackets from the subframe, and use a floor jack to lower the diff out of the way. It will move more than enough with the driveshaft still connected once you have the brackets unbolted.

Doing it this way gives you more than enough room to get whichever tool you choose in there to remove the bushing. The bushing tool I had was the wrong size, so I ended up just hole-sawing and cutting the old bushing out. Once that's removed, the poly bushing presses in easily by hand.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 10:16 AM   #85
Samf82m4
Private
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 6MT

I'm tackling this project this weekend and will film / take pictures throughout the process. I'm following the common solution that a lot have discussed, dropping the subframe partially using the bmw repair bolts, support the diff as I remove the bolts holding it in, then lowering the diff slightly to remove the rear bushing with a bushing remover, and sliding the front mount over the drive shaft and out.

Hoping all goes well lol. This will be my first big project with my quickjack
Appreciate 2
      08-05-2022, 11:28 AM   #86
TheMaster1971NL
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

Quote:
Heads up PowerFlex released their own diff kit including bracket and bushings. Much cheaper as a kit compared to buying everything separately.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Powerfle...-M2-M3-M4.html
I have this kit with powerflex purple and it is solid. Together with the OS Giken diff it's a big upgrade 💪🏼
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 01:52 PM   #87
Samf82m4
Private
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 6MT

My car feels amazing now!!!! As promised, here is my DIY: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1944563
Appreciate 2
ra2289303.50
jmciver1832.00
      08-14-2022, 08:34 PM   #88
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

Ive thought about this too. I just ordered the 2018+ OEM poly diff bushing.

I don't want diff whine for a little more rigidity, not worth it imo.

Im sure this will be fine.

ecutek - bend calibration pro tune - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+
Appreciate 1