R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-12-2022, 04:10 AM   #23
Jim45678
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 f80

that sounds really really great! Thank you for sharing!
I'm adding this as my must have exhaust mod! I do understand that i can use other resonater with same parameters as AeroTurbine TR252?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 03:27 PM   #24
Xer0449
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' Evo GSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim45678 View Post
that sounds really really great! Thank you for sharing!
I'm adding this as my must have exhaust mod! I do understand that i can use other resonater with same parameters as AeroTurbine TR252?
I don't see why not - so long as you get the hangers in the right spot it should be fine.

If I were to do it again, I'd try these just because I've had such a good experience with them in the past.

Make sure to report back with a sound clip!
      01-12-2022, 09:11 PM   #25
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Per Active, you cannot add resonators to the single midpipe. There is not enough space.
Well, I think this thread just proved to you that... I think it was Elizabeth Holmes that said something to the extent of: "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you get convicted of 3 wire fraud felonies and go to prison".
Appreciate 3
Xer0449101.50
Jim45678164.00
ckendri40.50
      01-13-2022, 08:19 AM   #26
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sporty View Post
Well, I think this thread just proved to you that... I think it was Elizabeth Holmes that said something to the extent of: "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you get convicted of 3 wire fraud felonies and go to prison".

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 01:17 PM   #27
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Just added some small resonators to my VRSF rear pipes.

Sounds nice and clean and mellow. Super quiet with these and CTS high flow cats. Might need a louder muffler now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-26-2022, 05:41 PM   #28
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
Just added some small resonators to my VRSF rear pipes.

Sounds nice and clean and mellow. Super quiet with these and CTS high flow cats. Might need a louder muffler now.
There ya go
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 04:04 AM   #29
N44RP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
The spot I located the resonators was the best place my fabricator and I saw; I think it would be fine to be earlier but the closer the resonators are to the rear the better imo for rasp reduction. Glad you like it sir
Downpipes plus single midpipe on the stock muffler was really loud to me (valves open)
Did adding two resonators reduce the overall volume much?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 08:24 AM   #30
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by N44RP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
The spot I located the resonators was the best place my fabricator and I saw; I think it would be fine to be earlier but the closer the resonators are to the rear the better imo for rasp reduction. Glad you like it sir
Downpipes plus single midpipe on the stock muffler was really loud to me (valves open)
Not much sound reduction thankfully; I still think the car is quiet compared to my M3
      04-27-2022, 07:05 PM   #31
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Those resonators you see above reduced the volume a LOT.

Mine wasn't super loud in the first place with the high flow cats, but I would guesstimate a 30% reduction in volume with the resonators installed. Big difference.

The sound is also much cleaner and has zero rasp at any time. I was keeping my valves closed for the first few minutes of driving (cold pipe) to keep it from rasping. Now I can immediately hit Sport at startup and it sounds tame and clean.
Appreciate 2
deli333142.50
JAI///M3528.00
      04-27-2022, 07:42 PM   #32
N44RP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

Mine wasn't super loud in the first place with the high flow cats, but I would guesstimate a 30% reduction in volume with the resonators installed. Big difference.

The sound is also much cleaner and has zero rasp at any time. I was keeping my valves closed for the first few minutes of driving (cold pipe) to keep it from rasping. Now I can immediately hit Sport at startup and it sounds tame and clean.

You have catless downpipes, single mid pipe, and twin AeroTurbine TR252 resonators?

Interesting that commander says it didn’t reduce his volume much. I believe I’ve experience more along the lines of what you experienced (on a different platform though)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 07:44 PM   #33
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Quote:

Which resonators are those?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 08:14 PM   #34
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Per Active, you cannot add resonators to the single midpipe. There is not enough space.
I can confirm that you cannot use the Active resonated rear pipes with the single midpipe, because there is not enough space.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 09:00 PM   #35
JAI///M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80  [0.00]
Just stumbled on this thread and looking to add a single mid pipe. I'm a little confused about the resonated option though. Active offers their single mid either resonated or non-resonated…?

Is the statement about not having enough room for a resonator strictly for adding 1 resonator on the single pipe section and not the connector pipes…?
Appreciate 2
      04-28-2022, 06:34 AM   #36
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAI///M3 View Post
Just stumbled on this thread and looking to add a single mid pipe. I'm a little confused about the resonated option though. Active offers their single mid either resonated or non-resonated…?

Is the statement about not having enough room for a resonator strictly for adding 1 resonator on the single pipe section and not the connector pipes…?
Active does not offer a resonated version of their single midpipe. They only offer resonators for their equal-length midpipes.

The resonated portion of the Active Autowerke equal-length midpipe will not fit on their single midpipe.

If you are adding custom resonators like we have, you can put them wherever you want.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 07:30 AM   #37
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I tried adding the TR252 resonators to my AA non-equal-length midpipe, and there was room on the passenger side pipe near the differential, but not on the driver side. I'll have to find some shorter resonators - anyone have a suggestion?

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 10:20 AM   #38
JAI///M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Active does not offer a resonated version of their single midpipe. They only offer resonators for their equal-length midpipes.

The resonated portion of the Active Autowerke equal-length midpipe will not fit on their single midpipe.

If you are adding custom resonators like we have, you can put them wherever you want.
Quote:
Quote:

Ok thanks for the reply. I guess that's what I'm a bit confused about. I think I wrongfully assumed the connector pipes where that same between their equal length and single mid pipe systems, but it's seems they are different.

That being said, on the AA website, the single mid has an option for resonated. I'm guessing this is a new option…?

Regardless I think the best route for me is to start non-res and weld them in later if I feel like I mess them. Thank for the info. This thread helped me
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 10:25 AM   #39
JAI///M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundelM3 View Post
I tried adding the TR252 resonators to my AA non-equal-length midpipe, and there was room on the passenger side pipe near the differential, but not on the driver side. I'll have to find some shorter resonators - anyone have a suggestion?
If you look on summit racing's website you can find a ton of resonator options in various sizes. Sorry I don't have any specific recommendations.
Appreciate 1
rborane240.00
      04-28-2022, 10:55 AM   #40
ONLYACTIVE
Rep

Drives: RAPTOR

Quote:

FYI guys, we now offer resonators for our Single F8X MP, we redesigned them now that they will fit both the EL and the Single.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 01:25 PM   #41
JAI///M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80  [0.00]
Ok makes sense thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 01:36 PM   #42
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLYACTIVE View Post
FYI guys, we now offer resonators for our Single F8X MP, we redesigned them now that they will fit both the EL and the Single.
Nice!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 07:43 AM   #43
deli333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

This is it, we have been saying this long time for the people who says they are embrassed with low rpm sound (up to 2-3k , some says 4k )but people are too bandwagoon with equal length thingy.

I love how it sounds especially on startup valves open, does not sound obnoxious at all

btw

@1000hp there are many variations that you can fit resonators to single mid pipe. even this topic there is 4 people including me.
Appreciate 1
JAI///M3528.00
      04-29-2022, 08:49 AM   #44
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deli333 View Post
This is it, we have been saying this long time for the people who says they are embrassed with low rpm sound (up to 2-3k , some says 4k )but people are too bandwagoon with equal length thingy.

I love how it sounds especially on startup valves open, does not sound obnoxious at all

btw

@1000hp there are many variations that you can fit resonators to single mid pipe. even this topic there is 4 people including me.
I've had the EL, too. It sounds great outside the car but I didn't like the sound from the driver's seat most of the time. Especially with downpipes.
Appreciate 1
deli333142.50