Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-22-2023, 12:26 PM   #1
ThickM3
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Oil temperature super low and fluctuations- no op temp

Guys,

I have been having this issue where my oil temp gauge on the right side of dash will barely move and it fluctuates many all over but in low range. It happened ever since I got car. I don't believe it's tune based. It happened when I got the car with dinan stage 2 module. I put to stock and then stage 2 bm3. Then I put to stock for a drive to test again and it still barely registered. So I do not believe it is tune based
I also have LED wheel where I can see obd2 reading for oil and water temps. It's always low. It's like 150 max to 160 on hour + drives. Drove 7 hours and max temps 170 I saw. It will jump up to like 170 for a second but then falls to like 155 and rhe needle does follow accordingly... so the needle will follow at 160 if ob2 says 160. It will follow to 170 of obd2 says 170... so it does work but it just never heats up. Never really seen 180+ only a few times for like 5 seconds.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? I changed the oil thermostat to a brand new OEM on I got from my father in law that works in bmw parts counter... it also did not help and had the same issue and that thermostat was leaking from factory so took it off as it didn't change My issue anyway. I also see my water/ coolant very low sometimes too. Like it's already cooling at like 170 or so and doesn't get to 200. Like thermostat opens way too early or is stuck

I'm having a hell of a time trying diagnose this... please... anyone have any experience and good feed back?

I'm losing my mind. I can't even check my oil 90% of time because the car thinks it's still cold
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 12:36 PM   #2
Danlnyc88
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp, 2017 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thicsilverf30 View Post
Guys,

I have been having this issue where my oil temp gauge on the right side of dash will barely move and it fluctuates many all over but in low range. It happened ever since I got car. I don't believe it's tune based. It happened when I got the car with dinan stage 2 module. I put to stock and then stage 2 bm3. Then I put to stock for a drive to test again and it still barely registered. So I do not believe it is tune based
I also have LED wheel where I can see obd2 reading for oil and water temps. It's always low. It's like 150 max to 160 on hour + drives. Drove 7 hours and max temps 170 I saw. It will jump up to like 170 for a second but then falls to like 155 and rhe needle does follow accordingly... so the needle will follow at 160 if ob2 says 160. It will follow to 170 of obd2 says 170... so it does work but it just never heats up. Never really seen 180+ only a few times for like 5 seconds.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? I changed the oil thermostat to a brand new OEM on I got from my father in law that works in bmw parts counter... it also did not help and had the same issue and that thermostat was leaking from factory so took it off as it didn't change My issue anyway. I also see my water/ coolant very low sometimes too. Like it's already cooling at like 170 or so and doesn't get to 200. Like thermostat opens way too early or is stuck

I'm having a hell of a time trying diagnose this... please... anyone have any experience and good feed back?

I'm losing my mind. I can't even check my oil 90% of time because the car thinks [...]
Could be the oil temp sensor
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 02:33 PM   #3
ThickM3
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danlnyc88 View Post
Could be the oil temp sensor
Which one is that? The one on the side of the block under the j pipe?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 03:12 PM   #4
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickM3 View Post
Which one is that? The one on the side of the block under the j pipe?
if I'm not mistaken oil temp is measured by level sensor.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 03:19 PM   #5
ThickM3
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track/S View Post
Damn... are you sure? There is one oil temp sensor on side but does the oil level also measure temp? I can measure the oil just fine as long as the car thinks it's hot enough
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 04:49 PM   #6
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
Damn... are you sure? There is one oil temp sensor on side but does the oil level also measure temp? I can measure the oil just fine as long as the car thinks it's hot enough
Yes, a month ago I sold an oil level sensor to a customer who had problems with the oil temperature, the sensor solved his problem, car X1 2.0d but the oil lever sensor is same.

The sensor that you mention is coolant.

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 05:00 PM   #7
ThickM3
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes, a month ago I sold an oil level sensor to a customer who had problems with the oil temperature, the sensor solved his problem, car X1 2.0d but the oil lever sensor is same.

The sensor that you mention is coolant.

Yes but were they also having issues with measuring oil? I can still measure my oil as long as it's above 150 degrees. I already changed that sensor in the front there that you circled in red hoping it would help. It did not. There is also this oil temp sensor on the side of the block that I need to try.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 05:04 PM   #8
ThickM3
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

This is the one I'm talking about. It's #12 in diagram

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_5589
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 05:31 PM   #9
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:

This is the one I'm talking about. It's #12 in diagram
Coolant sensor.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 05:33 PM   #10
ThickM3
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Coolant sensor.
Well is it only coolant an not oil? It says/ oil coolant.. I'd have to have to replace the oil level sensor in the pan... I can't find any literature that the oil leveling sensor does temp too. Can you send me any links?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 05:45 PM   #11
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
Well is it only coolant an not oil? It says/ oil coolant.. I'd have to have to replace the oil level sensor in the pan... I can't find any literature that the oil leveling sensor does temp too. Can you send me any links?

It is a sensor that can be used for oil and coolant. I don't have any literature, speak from experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 05:55 PM   #12
ThickM3
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

It is a sensor that can be used for oil and coolant. I don't have any literature, speak from experience.
Okay so your bet is its my oil level sensor then? I have no codes. Thermostat was swapped and no change. Your bet is the oil level sensor sending unit
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 06:03 PM   #13
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
Okay so your bet is its my oil level sensor then? I have no codes. Thermostat was swapped and no change. Your bet is the oil level sensor sending unit
Yes, my bet is the level sensor.
Appreciate 0