Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-04-2022, 09:09 PM   #1
Nick7700
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 F83 Atlantis Metallic

Bootmod3 Flash to stock and other questions

I've searched but found so many threads on flash to stock using BM3. I have a few questions I wanted to confirm before I do it myself.
Last year after I got the crank hub done from my installer. I asked him about what tuning I should get. He recommended BM3 and I did see that it is widely popular and used in this forum, so he did the flash update for me on my laptop. He put Stage 1 93 octane tune. So fast forward to today and with my state inspection coming up, I wanted to flash it back to stock so that I can get the inspection done and for it to pass. I heard that it would fail with the tune. I wanted to do it on my own instead of driving an hour to his shop just to flash it back to stock then drive back there again to put the tune back on. Plus, I wanted to learn and do it on my own.
So today when I hooked up the laptop to BM3 and was able to log on. Here are some questions that I have before I proceed to flash to stock.
1. What is the re-lock DME?
2. What does that mean?
3. Will I do any harm by clicking on that option?
4. What is the CustomROM Convert and what does it do?
5. I've also read some of the threads on bench unlock or lock. Can someone explain to a newbie some of these terminologies? A basic tutorial so that I can understand. Also, the do's and don'ts when flashing. TIA
2024 BMW X6 M60i Isle of Man Green / Ivory White
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2022, 09:52 PM   #2
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7700 View Post
I've searched but found so many threads on flash to stock using BM3. I have a few questions I wanted to confirm before I do it myself.
Last year after I got the crank hub done from my installer. I asked him about what tuning I should get. He recommended BM3 and I did see that it is widely popular and used in this forum, so he did the flash update for me on my laptop. He put Stage 1 93 octane tune. So fast forward to today and with my state inspection coming up, I wanted to flash it back to stock so that I can get the inspection done and for it to pass. I heard that it would fail with the tune. I wanted to do it on my own instead of driving an hour to his shop just to flash it back to stock then drive back there again to put the tune back on. Plus, I wanted to learn and do it on my own.
So today when I hooked up the laptop to BM3 and was able to log on. Here are some questions that I have before I proceed to flash to stock.
1. What is the re-lock DME?
2. What does that mean?
3. Will I do any harm by clicking on that option?
4. What is the CustomROM Convert and what does it do?
5. I've also read some of the threads on bench unlock or lock. Can someone explain to a newbie some of these terminologies? A basic tutorial so that I can understand. Also, the do's and don'ts when flashing. TIA
You need to flash back to stock and re lock DME. That will get your software to OEM condition. This is essence the option to "uninstall BM3 and return to stock."

After this, google BMW smog drive cycle and do this process. Your emissions sensors should be ready after doing this. Having a hand held scanner helps with getting emissions ready as well since you can hear when certain monitors become ready.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 2
cotmfk2043.50
      06-05-2022, 11:16 AM   #3
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

You don't need to re-lock when flashing to Stock. That's only needed before you sell your BM3 license. It was used in the past to fool BMW as they only looked for an unlocked DME to deny warranty. The new BMW dealership software finds out no matter what…

Some newer BMW SW updates will re-lock your DME into "hard lock" which requires the computer be removed and mailed to an expert. They hook up wires and unlock the hard lock, then mail it back. If you re-lock one of these you can be stuck hard locked again.

The new 2021+ computer was "uncrackable" but the Russians found a way in. I'm on the fence about suggesting the last method.

CustomROM convert is only for older style single maps without the AntiLag/Flex abilities. If you bought a custom map without these features then converting the old Standard map would add these features.
      06-05-2022, 12:41 PM   #4
Nick7700
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
You don't need to re-lock when flashing to Stock. That's only needed before you sell your BM3 license. It was used in the past to fool BMW as they only looked for an unlocked DME to deny warranty. The new BMW dealership software finds out no matter what…

Some newer BMW SW updates will re-lock your DME into "hard lock" which requires the computer be removed and mailed to an expert. They hook up wires and unlock the hard lock, then mail it back. If you re-lock one of these you can be stuck hard locked again.

The new 2021+ computer was "uncrackable" but the Russians found a way in. I'm on the fence about suggesting the last method.

CustomROM convert is only for older style single maps without the AntiLag/Flex abilities. If you bought a custom map without these features then converting the old Standard map would add these features.

So I tried hellokitty's method this morning to re-lock DME and it got an error. Tried again and it still errored. Then when I saw TopJimmy's post, I tried just the flash without re-locking DME and it successfully went back to stock. Thanks, guys!
Also, by the way, do I have to drive the vehicle a certain number of miles so that it'll be cleared or ready before the inspection?
Appreciate 1
hellokitty2895.50
      06-05-2022, 12:49 PM   #5
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Also, by the way, do I have to drive the vehicle a certain number of miles so that it'll be cleared or ready before the inspection?
Some say there are "drive cycles" to follow. I used my Car Scanner app and a Vpeak adapter to check for readys, and drove some highway and city till it was happy.
      06-05-2022, 05:51 PM   #6
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So I tried hellokitty's method this morning to re-lock DME and it got an error. Tried again and it still errored. Then when I saw TopJimmy's post, I tried just the flash without re-locking DME and it successfully went back to stock. Thanks, guys!
Here ya go
Attached Images

2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 2
      06-06-2022, 04:28 PM   #7
Nick7700
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So I just got a scanner off Amazon model Foxwell NT301. I know I didn't drive it to that certain mileage point yet and I will follow hellokitty's diagram he sent. But today I took a snapshot of the readings it currently at. Can you guys tell me which one should be the one that'll be "ready" when it's good to go? Am I supposed to look at the CAT, EVAP, or O2S? It's good to know which one that the inspection system is checking.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MJBO2613.00
      06-06-2022, 05:11 PM   #8
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Depending on your state you need all readys or all but one.
      06-06-2022, 10:09 PM   #9
Nick7700
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Here ya go
I just followed this method earlier and it worked. All of the ones not ready are good and ready now. This method works great. Thanks for your help hellokitty & TopJimmy!

All ready now:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
hellokitty2895.50
TopJimmy5457.00
      06-07-2022, 11:41 AM   #10
RumplyM4
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

let us know if you pass!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 01:45 PM   #11
Mp3Supply
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumplyM4 View Post
let us know if you pass!
Is this a California thing!?!?! I'm in VA and have always passed with my tune active on stage 1. Some states really suck
Cosmetic: Full Body PPF, RSC Front Splittler, AUTOTECKNIC V1 Front Grill, M-Perf CF Side Vents, RSC CF Side Skirts, RW Carbon Rear Winglets, Painted Black Exhaust, Amber Deletes,
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 11:49 AM   #12
ElectroThermal
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80M3

Quote:
let us know if you pass!
Agreed, if you could let us know the outcome of your inspection.

There's a rumor up here in MA that they've updated their OBDII scan of the car this past year, and similar to dealers, can now detect if there has been any tampering of the ECU - even if it's reverted back to stock.

I'm due for inspection by the end of the month and running a slightly modified stock tune on BM3 (cold start disabled) and curious to see if the horror stories of the new inspection process are realized.
      06-10-2022, 12:42 PM   #13
Nick7700
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroThermal View Post
Agreed, if you could let us know the outcome of your inspection.

There's a rumor up here in MA that they've updated their OBDII scan of the car this past year, and similar to dealers, can now detect if there has been any tampering of the ECU - even if it's reverted back to stock.

I'm due for inspection by the end of the month and running a slightly modified stock tune on BM3 (cold start disabled) and curious to see if the horror stories of the new inspection process are realized.
Update not-so-good news.

The car failed the emissions test. I drove the car for a while and before I stopped at the station, I checked again with my scanner to verify that everything was good before I bring it in. It read all good on the scanner. I dropped it off and waited for them to do the inspection. The service advisor came back and said that the inspection failed the emissions test, everything else was good besides that. They said that I got flagged and to call the motorist assistance center (MAC) within 60 days and schedule an appointment with them. Now I'm at a lost? Should I have completely removed BM3 and taken that out of the picture? Is there a way to do that now then call MAC afterward and bring it in? I'm open to suggestions.

Here's the report.....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 05:27 PM   #14
ElectroThermal
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80M3

Ouch, yeah that's the same result I've seen from others here in MA. From what I've read, that referral to the MAC was triggered by their system detecting the ECU/DME was flashed away from stock at some point. They're flagging these cars as having "tampered emissions systems" and an automatic fail/referral to MAC.

The only way I've heard of people passing after being flagged was to have BMW update/re-flash and lock the DME. The dealer would likely have to charge you for this unless there's a way to claim some type of issue with the car that could suggest to them to try a software update.

Hopefully others that have a bit more experience with this new inspection process can chime in, but sounds like they're making it increasingly harder to own anything fun.
      06-14-2022, 06:25 PM   #15
Nick7700
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroThermal View Post
Ouch, yeah that's the same result I've seen from others here in MA. From what I've read, that referral to the MAC was triggered by their system detecting the ECU/DME was flashed away from stock at some point. They're flagging these cars as having "tampered emissions systems" and an automatic fail/referral to MAC.

The only way I've heard of people passing after being flagged was to have BMW update/re-flash and lock the DME. The dealer would likely have to charge you for this unless there's a way to claim some type of issue with the car that could suggest to them to try a software update.

Hopefully others that have a bit more experience with this new inspection process can chime in, but sounds like they're making it increasingly harder to own anything fun.
So, I called the MAC center and the inspector told me to get the software updated with the BMW update and then schedule an appointment for a re-test to verify it has that update. They gave me 60 days to get this done.

He said that even thou the readiness was ready after I flashed back to stock the code doesn't match BMW's code. This is what he told me over the phone. Maybe you guys are familiar with what he's talking about and knows what he's talking about. He said that the MA. system database stores all of the records from previous years and mine didn't match. He also told me that lately he's been seeing lots of BMWs getting flagged. This was what he told me.

Does this update need to be updated at the dealership or can one of the coders Kubax in here do this update? Does anyone know?
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2022, 06:37 PM   #16
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So, I called the MAC center and the inspector told me to get the software updated with the BMW update and then schedule an appointment for a re-test to verify it has that update. They gave me 60 days to get this done.

He said that even thou the readiness was ready after I flashed back to stock the code doesn't match BMW's code. This is what he told me over the phone. Maybe you guys are familiar with what he's talking about and knows what he's talking about. He said that the MA. system database stores all of the records from previous years and mine didn't match. He also told me that lately he's been seeing lots of BMWs getting flagged. This was what he told me.

Does this update need to be updated at the dealership or can one of the coders Kubax in here do this update? Does anyone know?
It appears that MA has adopted the same system that CA has had in place for the last several years.

Basically, even if you flash back to stock, your DME version will not match that specific year, make and model in the database.

I got state reffed even though I went back to stock...

Your only option now is to take it to a BMW dealer and ask them to perform a DME re-flash to the latest version. Bring the smog notice with you. They'll charge you $200 or so.

This is the ideal time to ask the dealer to get your emissions monitors ready for you as well. The tech will perform the drive cycle as part of the cost. Dealers are required to get a car ready for smog at the customer's request.

Appreciate 4
      06-14-2022, 07:30 PM   #17
coldsoup
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3

So this means anyone in CA or MA has to have their car flashed at the dealership and only at the dealership after bm3 if they want to pass inspection???
Appreciate 1
MJBO2613.00
      06-14-2022, 08:55 PM   #18
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsoup View Post
So this means anyone in CA or MA has to have their car flashed at the dealership and only at the dealership after bm3 if they want to pass inspection???
I can't say for certain but here is a tidbit from the CA BAR:

Modified Software Standards

On July 19, 2021, a modified software check was added to the BAR-OIS Smog Check inspection. Software approved through a California Air Resources Board (CARB) Executive Order should not cause a vehicle to fail for modified software.

Vehicles identified with illegally modified software will fail the Smog Check inspection. The vehicle inspection report will show Modified Software for the overall inspection result. Once the vehicle is restored to an OEM-approved or CARB-approved software configuration, the vehicle may be retested at any licensed Smog Check station, unless otherwise directed by BAR to a Referee or STAR station. Consumers seeking to dispute inspection results may contact the Smog Check Referee by calling (800) 622-7733.

Appreciate 2
      06-20-2022, 01:42 AM   #19
RumplyM4
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Have you tried to flash back to stock and re-lock dme?? That might get your software back to oem that is registered with the database.
Flashing back to stock and leaving your dme unlock might not be using the oem software
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 09:26 AM   #20
WordOnRoad
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70/F80

Quote:
Have you tried to flash back to stock and re-lock dme?? That might get your software back to oem that is registered with the database.
Flashing back to stock and leaving your dme unlock might not be using the oem software
That won't work. The DME will now report a software mismatch from what the state's machine knows (like what hellokitty's blurb says).

Flash back to completely stock, go to BMW and get an update. This clears up the mismatch, then you can get an inspection.
IG: 475_f80
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 10:20 AM   #21
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordOnRoad View Post
That won't work. The DME will now report a software mismatch from what the state's machine knows (like what hellokitty's blurb says).

Flash back to completely stock, go to BMW and get an update. This clears up the mismatch, then you can get an inspection.
+1.

Flash back to stock and re-lock will not get you there. The ONLY way is to get a DME update from the dealer.

Appreciate 4
      06-21-2022, 07:42 PM   #22
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Gents,

It is my belief and let me know if I'm wrong. BM3 uses a generic modified stock map not your vehicle specific stock DME CalID and CVN, that's why your failing. Both of these have been reported to DMV and when the CVN and CalID are checked and dont match "red flag" even if your sensors all say "Ready".
No need to go to BMW for that, get your original OEM stock map flashed back on from BM3 or whoever tuner you have.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ght=smog+check
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 1
Logicoeur991.00