Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-22-2023, 08:43 PM   #1
Aust1nYellow
Rep
Drives: bmw m4 coupe

New to BMWs

Hello everyone I'm Alan from Pomona, Ca. I am looking to get an extended warranty & figured what better way to get either suggestions or advice as to what extended warranties you folks are using & also which to stay away from. I called BMW of Ontario, Ca & Matt in finance suggested Premier Protection but the prices are a bit high. Assurant owns Motor Warranty Services of North America, which interestingly enough is the same company that owns Carmax's Maxcare warranty services. So if any of you have any input I appreciate in advance your advice. My car btw is a 2016 M3 w/54400 miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 12:16 PM   #2
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
Your better off putting the $ into a savings account for repairs. When I got my 16 M4 in 2019 it had 2yrs CPO, in 2022 I got them to throw in BMW Gold 1yr on my 2018 M4 as factory was about to expire. I don't think I would ever get an extended warranty on a 7yr old car. You could of gotten a 1-2yr newer car instead.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 09:33 PM   #3
Aust1nYellow
Rep
Drives: bmw m4 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
Your better off putting the $ into a savings account for repairs. When I got my 16 M4 in 2019 it had 2yrs CPO, in 2022 I got them to throw in BMW Gold 1yr on my 2018 M4 as factory was about to expire. I don't think I would ever get an extended warranty on a 7yr old car. You could of gotten a 1-2yr newer car instead.
Picking up the car saturday, march 25th and even though I have the check from the finance company, I can still walk away. Thank you for the advice, will take it into consideration.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 11:59 AM   #4
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aust1nYellow View Post
Hello everyone I'm Alan from Pomona, Ca. I am looking to get an extended warranty & figured what better way to get either suggestions or advice as to what extended warranties you folks are using & also which to stay away from. I called BMW of Ontario, Ca & Matt in finance suggested Premier Protection but the prices are a bit high. Assurant owns Motor Warranty Services of North America, which interestingly enough is the same company that owns Carmax's Maxcare warranty services. So if any of you have any input I appreciate in advance your advice. My car btw is a 2016 M3 w/54400 miles.

I bet the prices for the warranty is like 8+ thousands of dollars lol. I decided to opt against an extended warranty. If things break, I’ll just pay for it out of pocket. If things drastically go wrong, I’ll probably ask BMW corporate for like a one time good will and pay out of the pocket of the difference.

There are lots of BMW shops in the area so you don’t have to go to the dealership for all your repairs and the prices are extremely competitive. Mind you, a repair is still a repair and will still cost a lot lol. It is a BMW M car after all.

IMO there’s like only one thing worth the warranty and that’s a spun crank hub with bent valves. But I’d say the majority of people don’t end up bending the valves and they can just re-time and replace the hub which is around ~4K ish now? If the valves got bent and need a new crank hub, that’s the most expensive thing I can think of that can go wrong.

You may get a repair here or there like cracked bushing (this part changed in 2018), leaking diff seal, valve cover seal, leaking coolant expansion tank, leaking intercooler (this should be covered by emission warranty, I think that is 8 years in California).

But yeah, weigh your pros and cons and see if you are risk adverse or not. I’ve heard that some 3rd party extended warranties are a hassle to deal with unless it’s a warranty from BMW directly. One thing to keep in mind is to ensure that the extended warranty will pay the shop rate or else you’ll be on the hook for the difference which IMO defeats the purpose of an extended warranty.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2023, 12:52 PM   #5
G-Ram
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

if the car had a thorough inspection prior to purchase, I would save the extended warranty money, put it under the mattress / in the freezer etc and carry on.

Did it with two different vehicles ( AMG C63 and M4 ) and really wish I had saved the money.
Appreciate 1