European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

01-30-2020, 03:51 PM   #1
propete1031
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Thumbs up /wave! PCW Exhaust and BM3 Stage One review...

I'm back!

A bit of a hiatus since the E46 M3 11 years ago but alas, new job, bit of a pay rise and I'm back in the game with a 2017 M4 cab CP in dark grey. Apologies for the cabriolet bit but it's soooo worth it :E

So. Just took a trip down PCW today, have to say I'm impressed with the results !
Got the exhaust work done and a stage one bm3 remap including the GTS transmission flash, I've got to say, f*** me that was all worth it! Loved every minute of my 4 hour drive back home, the results are fantastic. I've had the M4 for 10 months already but these mods have transformed it into what every M4 car should have been from stock!
  • First the exhaust mods from Paul at PCW, fantastic guy and a true professional, I watched him do the whole job, brilliantly executed to the highest standard, no concerns there. The results are fantastic and just what I wanted. Burbles much more pronounced, a deeper louder sound over all and all the pops and bangs you could ask for which are completely customisable from the bm3 remap!
  • Casual mode exactly the same (which is what I wanted in case you need to tone it down to stock anytime) and the cold start and GTS roar are gone so my neighbours and wife are happy at 6am on Monday mornings :E
  • Wow what a difference bm3 has made! a-side from the above, the power is sooo much more usable now (even in the damp conditions today it's REALLY noticeable, the delivery is much more gradual and planted, it's miles faster with that extra horsepower, not just because it's more hp (which of course is noticeable in itself), but because it's delivered in a better way BMW implemented and now the car has so much more control over that power! Thing I really love is the integrated sports display on the iDrive has also been updated to a maximum of 660BHP, class! It's so professionally done. The remap must have updated this bit of the car and you can see actual figures of how much you're using (in the 500 range for me), That's the benefit of doing a full remap I guess rather than just tricking the car with a bolt-on chip.
  • Finally the GTS transmission update is awesome too! No more kangarooing but also the changes are miles smoother now and faster with a much more seemless feel. I used to find the gear changes so aggressively clunky that it would kick the car to the right and even break traction sometimes, I didn't notice that once today...

Anyway, in sure you lot already know the impact of these mods but I just feel better for sharing ok! if anyone is in the Poole or Bournemouth area and wants to see, let me know I'm more than willing to share! haha

Right time to get me a pair of MP4S for the rear!

Peace
      02-27-2020, 07:59 PM   #2
Yun350
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 525d mpsort

Great to read the review of BM3 I’m considering getting this at a later date but knowing that it brings such a smile to the face, I’m keen to get this on
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2020, 03:42 AM   #3
propete1031
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yun350 View Post
Great to read the review of BM3 I’m considering getting this at a later date but knowing that it brings such a smile to the face, I’m keen to get this on
You won't be disappointed! I highly recommend you consider the PCW exhaust mod as well to complete the package Car sounds savage now and it's completely customisable through the BM3 interface
      03-01-2020, 11:32 AM   #4
Steveo
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Any drone at any revs?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 09:28 AM   #5
propete1031
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
Any drone at any revs?
Hi Steveo,

No, certainly not in Comfort mode, sport mode it's a little more there perhaps but I really haven't noticed it, it's a great mod. I usually switch between modes a lot anyway and only hit Sport Plus when I need it.
      04-08-2020, 03:59 AM   #6
jamiesecker
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP

Great write up, cheers.
When this situation is over It would be good to meet as be keen to see the differance if possible?
I am only in the New Forest so not to far away if oay with you?

Cheers,

Jamie
      04-09-2020, 04:19 AM   #7
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Not a good idea turning cold start off if you still have your primary cats. It's designed to protect them from damage at startup.
Not worth risking the cost of new cats for the sake of 30 seconds louder noise imo.
      04-12-2020, 02:20 PM   #8
wilse23
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp F82

Great post. I have seen a lot about PCW and heard great things. Can I ask what work he did to the exhaust and how much it cost? Does he have different options for the exhaust side of things?
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 04:05 AM   #9
propete1031
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesecker View Post
Great write up, cheers.
When this situation is over It would be good to meet as be keen to see the differance if possible?
I am only in the New Forest so not to far away if oay with you?

Cheers,

Jamie
Sold the car now buddy so can't do that now Good luck though (it's definitely worth it!)
      07-10-2020, 04:08 AM   #10
propete1031
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilse23 View Post
Great post. I have seen a lot about PCW and heard great things. Can I ask what work he did to the exhaust and how much it cost? Does he have different options for the exhaust side of things?
Cheers
Hi mate it was about £400 if I remember rightly, that plus the stage 1 flash was about £700 and I had it done all at the same time through Paul at PCW. The best money I've ever spent on a car!

I believe he can taylor the sound how you want but to be honest I'd recommend you get the full treatment and then tone it down if you want using the bootmod3 flash which allows you to control all the baffles, when it kicks in, what revs, how aggressive etc. It's awesome! Still super quiet in comfort too
      07-14-2020, 07:59 AM   #11
dsmclark
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4 Clubsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
Not a good idea turning cold start off if you still have your primary cats. It's designed to protect them from damage at startup.
Not worth risking the cost of new cats for the sake of 30 seconds louder noise imo.
Isn't it just to get heat in them so they are more efficient? cold start even with both sets of cats is embarrassingly loud on these cars
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 08:20 AM   #12
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmclark View Post
Quote:
Isn't it just to get heat in them so they are more efficient? cold start even with both sets of cats is embarrassingly loud on these cars
It is, but in doing so it prevents unburnt fuel getting into the cats. Unburnt fuel kills cats & renders them useless.
      07-14-2020, 08:49 AM   #13
dsmclark
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It is, but in doing so it prevents unburnt fuel getting into the cats. Unburnt fuel kills cats & renders them useless.
guess I need to decat it then! haha
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 09:11 AM   #14
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmclark View Post
Quote:
guess I need to decat it then! haha
Indeed. Lol, and you think it's loud now!
      07-14-2020, 09:25 AM   #15
dsmclark
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Indeed. Lol, and you think it's loud now!
Oh its perfect now! its just the cold start. with secondary cat and centre resonator delete it sounds like gravel in a beer can on cold start
Appreciate 0