ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-01-2019, 09:37 PM   #133
MR_X
Old guy
Rep
Drives: tricycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
Hopefully someone in the US will just file a class action law suit against bmw for the SCH issue.

Then everyone else in the world can breath easy as bmw will cover it under goodwill for everyone for xyz number of years
The issue with the SCH issue is that the S55 isn't the only motor that uses this design. N55 among others, uses it also but there are no issues. The one thing I did find out though, is that the torque requirements on the S55 is a lower than other motors.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 11:57 PM   #134
PizzaHut
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1995 Nissan 300ZX TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danlnyc88 View Post
I love how this thread offers 0 help and just has a bunch of goody two-shoe squares acting like they haven't broken a law or done something shady in their entire lives. Congrats on being the perfect human being clowns. I'm willing to bet these are the kind of people that hold more baggage and secrets than normal folks.

Please take your .02c, advice, lecture or whatever you guys are trying to do and take them to your own kids and please move the fuck on if you have nothing to offer.
Well said.

I'm sure those "we don't mod our cars so our shit doesn't stink" crowd are the same type that will be first in line to claim a "good will" warranty repair once their cars are out of warranty.

Once out of warranty, BMW doesn't have to do jack shit for your stock M3/M4 either, then when your crank spins and destroys your motor 1 month after your warranty ends, I'm highly doubtful that you'll be okay with footing a $35K bill. They will cry like little girls to BMW saying it's a bad design and they should warranty it beccause they stayed stock! Wahhhhh... Hyprocrites.
Appreciate 2
      11-02-2019, 01:50 AM   #135
RevNev
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriyos_F82 View Post
It's not that simple. When the car is scanned, BMW corporate receives FASTA data from the car which is like a data log. That tells them everything they need to know.
Tells them what exactly is what we need to know? There's plenty of assumptions but does the data provide dates and times when a perceived modification likely occurred? How do they eliminate the possibility that a dealership mechanic had a play with Bootmod3 on a customers car at the last service or pre-delivery check? The data indicates it's had a flash tune, but who did it, the dealership or the customer?

Under Australian law they'd have to prove the customer was responsible for the modification voiding warranty particularly when the car isn't modified hardware wise and was presented for repair visibly stock.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 05:13 AM   #136
MR_X
Old guy
Rep
Drives: tricycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevNev View Post
Tells them what exactly is what we need to know? There's plenty of assumptions but does the data provide dates and times when a perceived modification likely occurred? How do they eliminate the possibility that a dealership mechanic had a play with Bootmod3 on a customers car at the last service or pre-delivery check? The data indicates it's had a flash tune, but who did it, the dealership or the customer?

Under Australian law they'd have to prove the customer was responsible for the modification voiding warranty particularly when the car isn't modified hardware wise and was presented for repair visibly stock.
We have similar laws here. The issue is (someone correct me if I'm wrong here please), is the limited amount of data in FASTA when the car gets uploaded. The data will only show the car running with a bad timing. There will not be any data when the car was running as it was supposed to. Now this depends on how deep they will look into it. I seen a few get away with it but I also seen others get caught.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 09:42 AM   #137
Ilvez
Enlisted Member
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport, F10

Interesting thinking on some folks over here: "Sure, I used dynamite to light the fireplace and house exploded. Lets sue the builders."
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 10:04 AM   #138
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilvez View Post
Interesting thinking on some folks over here: "Sure, I used dynamite to light the fireplace and house exploded. Lets sue the builders."
But what if the builders lined the fireplace with C4 explosives? Could blow up with a regular match as well...

The crank hub design is a bad one, now if the owner throws a rod out the side of the block, I get your point.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 10:14 AM   #139
Kev608
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

The ethics of this are simple. Is the crank hub slip a known issue? Does it happen to completely stock, un-modified, un-tuned cars? Is BMW aware of this? Have they done anything to rectify the issue?

I own a business. If one of my products has a known issue, I stop selling that product. If a customer returns to complain about the issue, I resolve it with no questions or qualms. Whether or not they did something to exacerbate the issue makes no difference. That issue was known to me and if I am running an honest business, I need to support them no matter what.

Last edited by Kev608; 11-02-2019 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: Speeling
Appreciate 8
      11-02-2019, 10:54 AM   #140
RevNev
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_X View Post
We have similar laws here. The issue is (someone correct me if I'm wrong here please), is the limited amount of data in FASTA when the car gets uploaded. The data will only show the car running with a bad timing. There will not be any data when the car was running as it was supposed to. Now this depends on how deep they will look into it. I seen a few get away with it but I also seen others get caught.
I had the impression that most who had spun cranks hub warranty claims rejected took the car in for repair modified, aftermarket exhausts, piggy back tuning boxes, modified air intakes etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 11:00 AM   #141
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

Things break. That's way there's a warranty.
The incident rate is so low that bmw doesn't feel the need to do a recall. Ask a bmw tech and they always say they're never heard of this failure.

Based on this forum it occurs almost always with stg 2 or e85 or higher. The forum is disproportionately tune so obviously there's more failures here.
The car was not designed to handle 550 hp +
Appreciate 2
Ilvez24.00
Evren86.00
      11-02-2019, 11:52 AM   #142
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabmw View Post
Things break. That's way there's a warranty.
The incident rate is so low that bmw doesn't feel the need to do a recall. Ask a bmw tech and they always say they're never heard of this failure.

Based on this forum it occurs almost always with stg 2 or e85 or higher. The forum is disproportionately tune so obviously there's more failures here.
You do understand that SCH fails on a bone stock car right?

Check these polls out.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1560274
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/po...ts&pollid=9283
      11-02-2019, 01:20 PM   #143
Ilvez
Enlisted Member
Estonia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
You do understand that SCH fails on a bone stock car right?

Check these polls out.
So what? Many sportscars have had fair share of annoying technical faults (Porsche IMS, MB AMG breaking cylinder head bolts and S55 has crank hub issue). This does not make them bad cars. You just deal with it. If this affects less than 1% of the stock cars then by all means and standards it is a very good design.

Cars are complex products and are expected to break down occasionally. Just stop putting all the blame on manufacturers doorstep who has its own set of constraints to work with.

Its all about the owners attitude and risk awareness - if one has stock S55 car under warranty there is no risk. If warranty expires and you feel uneasy, get it fixed, there are plenty of good proven solutions around.

Now, if one tunes the engine and does not fix the hub - then don't bitch and moan later on about getting hub out of whack. If one is aware of the risks and did not do any preventive action - its just plain ignorance and stupidity. Or conscious decision to run the risk.

In either way, complaining later on about bad design is completely pointless and unintelligent activity if one itself shot himself in the foot. Even more from ethical perspective, trying to hide the tunes and cash in from the BMW is simply fraud.

If you happen to f#¤% up - take it as a man and not blame the world for your bad decisions. Shit happens, deal with it.
Appreciate 3
SYT_Shadow11490.00
blockdoc373.00
SMGCFP584.50
      11-02-2019, 04:58 PM   #144
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

Subscribed to see the outcome here. You have to be really crazy to clamp down waste gates for max boost on a stock motor under warranty. This car doesn't need anymore power it needs traction. But as they say, racing never comes cheap....
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 05:09 PM   #145
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

LOL i love this thread please keep going. people act like BMW doesn't pay teams of people to sweep issues known on their platforms under the rug to increase their bottom line. yall living in la la land
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 06:01 PM   #146
Kev608
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
LOL i love this thread please keep going. people act like BMW doesn't pay teams of people to sweep issues known on their platforms under the rug to increase their bottom line. yall living in la la land
To be fair, this is every manufacturer. They are in the business of selling cars, not fixing them for free. They only recall a part if the potential cost of not doing the recall outweighs the actual cost of replacing the parts on the cars that people actually bring in, which I am guessing is less than half of the vehicles produced. If the faulty part poses no real threat to human lives, it is cheaper to let shit break and repair as needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 07:08 PM   #147
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

It's a nice thing people are more aware about honesty. I remember just few years back it was more okay as long as one doesn't get caught. I like our society moving towards to a more respectful direction.

However, BMW is a multinational corp who has not been always honest in their business practices in several countries. There is some grey area. Also the SCH issue itself has some grey area. I kinda see it as a business 'game' that has to be played in an appropriate way. (to me it would be a very stressful thing to deal with though)

In short, I am glad to see opinions about honesty but also it might be a bit too harsh to bash the OP.
Appreciate 1
Kev608180.50
      11-02-2019, 10:34 PM   #148
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

There should be a class action lawsuit with all the crankhub failures against BMW. BMW needs to be responsible for ALL failures since it happens on stock cars as well.
Appreciate 3
      11-03-2019, 02:33 AM   #149
PizzaHut
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1995 Nissan 300ZX TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabmw View Post
According to that logic, it can't handle 425hp either since they spin on stock cars as well.
Appreciate 2
      11-03-2019, 03:31 AM   #150
Ilvez
Enlisted Member
Estonia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
There should be a class action lawsuit with all the crankhub failures against BMW. BMW needs to be responsible for ALL failures since it happens on stock cars as well.
Cars are designed to fail. SCH is too low probability event and it affects too few cars in stock form.

Suing BMW will not fix SCH.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 07:26 AM   #151
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaHut View Post
According to that logic, it can't handle 425hp either since they spin on stock cars as well.
And what about the 99.9 % that dont fail.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 03:51 PM   #152
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFragileHalogen View Post
It's a nice thing people are more aware about honesty. I remember just few years back it was more okay as long as one doesn't get caught. I like our society moving towards to a more respectful direction.

However, BMW is a multinational corp who has not been always honest in their business practices in several countries. There is some grey area. Also the SCH issue itself has some grey area. I kinda see it as a business 'game' that has to be played in an appropriate way. (to me it would be a very stressful thing to deal with though)

In short, I am glad to see opinions about honesty but also it might be a bit too harsh to bash the OP.
I don't think people are inherently honest or even moving towards that...just look at our politics; everyone's moral compass is different.

although i can say with good conviction that bottom line $$$>honesty for any publicly traded company
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 05:07 PM   #153
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
I don't think people are inherently honest or even moving towards that...just look at our politics; everyone's moral compass is different.

although i can say with good conviction that bottom line $$$>honesty for any publicly traded company
Yeah right. People for power (politics) and for money (corporations) are not about honesty. But at least (I hope) more of us everyday people are beginning to aware of it. Well otherwise we will all die sooner.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2019, 11:34 AM   #154
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS Lime Rock Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev608 View Post
To be fair, this is every manufacturer. They are in the business of selling cars, not fixing them for free. They only recall a part if the potential cost of not doing the recall outweighs the actual cost of replacing the parts on the cars that people actually bring in, which I am guessing is less than half of the vehicles produced. If the faulty part poses no real threat to human lives, it is cheaper to let shit break and repair as needed.
This.

The number of failed crank hubs is likely very low to the overall total F80/F82 sold so they choose to repair individual cases as they come up which is a business decision. BMW AG is probably aware that the crank hub is close to threshold on the stock tune but they still choose to repair on a per need basis. I'm fine with this and if you spin it in stock form you are guaranteed a warranty repair. What I don't understand is tuning this engine knowing that this is a potential failure point that could be catastrophic which will very likely not be warranty covered. It's like walking around licking door handles, one of them is bound to be no bueno.

OP I hope you come out of this unscathed or at least as little as possible.

Good luck