Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-16-2019, 05:33 PM   #45
M3hf80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Okay I've been dealing with the same issue for awhile now so let me chime in.

I have a 2016 6MT F82, owned the car since 9k miles and now it's about to be 17k (I don't drive much since it's my weekend).

The proper functions should be to rev match in
1. Efficient mode - YES
2. Sport mode - YES
3. Sport Plus - NO

3 months after I bought the car, I noticed the same thing that you're currently experiencing. At random times, my car would not rev match in sport or efficient mode which bothered me but I didn't think much of it at the time. The car would also sometimes rev match in Sport plus but it all happens at random times during the drive, I've noticed that there are no patterns. For those of you that own 6MTs, when you're in efficient or sport mode you notice the different in shifting compared to Sport Plus, so when I have that "awkward" shift out of nowhere, I'm aware that the rev match is off.

As time goes on, I tend to notice that it's happening more and more frequent than I'd like so I brought my car to the nearby dealership (Most reputable one in the area). I had a talk with their master technician and he was not aware of this issues, and expressed that he doesn't like the feature of rev matching at all and suggested that I went aftermarket to turn off the feature, but after long back n forth discussion he decided that it's best for me to leave the car with him for a week to do some testing. After a week, he gave me a call to notify me that he had reset the transmission adaptation software. The problems went away for a few month but eventually came back but it would happen once a month so I considered it "solved".

Fast forward to few months ago, I decided to install BM3 stage 1 tune on my car. The rev match functions came back immediately the day after, I reflashed the car and the problems went away for a bit but then comes right back. I don't believe this has anything to do with the tune or transmission, I think it's more of a adaptations issue.

My solution is to cycle thru the driving modes everytime it happens and the problem goes away within seconds. For example, I'm always driving in S/S/S so when it stops rev matching all of a sudden, I would go into Sport plus then efficient then back to sport and the rev match function would work again!

Anyways, I'm subbed to this thread to see if anyone has a permanent solution to this problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 10:25 AM   #46
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3hf80 View Post

I have a 2016 6MT F82, owned the car since 9k miles and now it's about to be 17k (I don't drive much since it's my weekend).

1. Efficient mode - YES
2. Sport mode - YES
3. Sport Plus - NO

3 months after I bought the car, I noticed the same thing that you're currently experiencing. At random times, my car would not rev match in sport or efficient mode which bothered me but I didn't think much of it at the time. The car would also sometimes rev match in Sport plus but it all happens at random times during the drive, I've noticed that there are no patterns. For those of you that own 6MTs, when you're in efficient or sport mode you notice the different in shifting compared to Sport Plus, so when I have that "awkward" shift out of nowhere, I'm aware that the rev match is off.

As time goes on, I tend to notice that it's happening more and more frequent than I'd like so I brought my car to the nearby dealership (Most reputable one in the area). I had a talk with their master technician and he was not aware of this issues, and expressed that he doesn't like the feature of rev matching at all and suggested that I went aftermarket to turn off the feature, but after long back n forth discussion he decided that it's best for me to leave the car with him for a week to do some testing. After a week, he gave me a call to notify me that he had reset the transmission adaptation software. The problems went away for a few month but eventually came back but it would happen once a month so I considered it "solved".

Fast forward to few months ago, I decided to install BM3 stage 1 tune on my car. The rev match functions came back immediately the day after, I reflashed the car and the problems went away for a bit but then comes right back. I don't believe this has anything to do with the tune or transmission, I think it's more of a adaptations issue.

My solution is to cycle thru the driving modes everytime it happens and the problem goes away within seconds. For example, I'm always driving in S/S/S so when it stops rev matching all of a sudden, I would go into Sport plus then efficient then back to sport and the rev match function would work again!

Anyways, I'm subbed to this thread to see if anyone has a permanent solution to this problem.
If what you describe is true then it seems like it must be an issue with the actual sensors in the transmission gates. Since it happens with both the oem tune and BM3 then it must be something with the rev match sensor itself rather than the engine software.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 10:53 AM   #47
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
My revs always match in Sport+

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 11:30 AM   #48
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3hf80 View Post

1. Efficient mode - YES
2. Sport mode - YES
3. Sport Plus - NO

If what you describe is true then it seems like it must be an issue with the actual sensors in the transmission gates. Since it happens with both the oem tune and BM3 then it must be something with the rev match sensor itself rather than the engine software.
For the conditions M3hf80 describes, this is an interesting theory and makes sense. For me however I think it's more of a software issue since rev match is either on in all modes, or off in all modes. The toggle is the sport + button but only if pressed in the sequence I describe. The mystery continues.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 10:34 PM   #49
M3hf80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just thought I'd report back, today while I was driving on the freeway, the same problem occurred again. I was cruising in 6th gear sport mode, dropped it down to 5th to slow down and the car did not rev match. Sped up and shifted into 6th and then down shifted again and noticed it did not rev match. Cycled through all throttle modes and nothing seemed to rev match on up or down shifts for about 5 minutes.

Then rev match came back once I exited the freeway but after 3min of driving local, rev match went away again until I restarted the car in my garage. Most odd experience I had up to date.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 11:52 AM   #50
M3hf80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

anybody got an update?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 06:04 PM   #51
davigar
Rep
Drives: BMW 330I F31 M and E-46 M3

Hi, I have an f31 330i manual. It rev matches in all modes: eficciency, confort, sport and sport+. If i push dsc off button 5 sec it dissables the rev matching function, but the engine returns to comfort and steering wheel in Sport mode. My car, in confort mode has more lag and less torque at low-mid rpms, so i want my car running in sport or sport+ without rev matching to enjoy all the car possibilities.

My car rev matches very well in downshifts, but in upshifts are boring. You canīt do it as fast as you want because the cluth seems to slipp and ecu cuts engine power half second. But when I shut down this function, you have to do the downshifts very slow or rev match yourself to do it smoother.
I think this engine has a lot of rotational inertia compared to 2.0tfsi engines, which works very fine without any auto rev matching function.

For me, the ideal function will be: rev match enabled in efficiency, confort and sport modes and dissabled in sport+ but working only in downshifts, upshifts are better without.

Many thanks
en
Appreciate 0