Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

09-23-2019, 03:18 AM   #1
CrossyN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Anyone tried Carplay with the new iPhone 11?

Had my M4 for 2 years now but using Android, just bought an iPhone 11 yesterday with IOS13 and then subscribed to Carplay through BMW... but it isn't working at all. The phone is 100% synced and spotify is working etc but zero signs of Carplay.
The phone hadn't been paired to the car before Carplay was ordered so its a brand new fresh connection. Just wondering if BMW need to update their software to work with IOS13?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 06:57 AM   #2
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Hello,
Should be fine but I have customers that are complainin about the same thing.

Delete all personal data in iDrive, delete car from iPhone, delete iPhone from the car, also try disabling and enabling WiFi and Carplay in iDrive.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 01:15 PM   #3
CrossyN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just updating, it's working now.

I have to say though, I know they will never see this... but BMW please, there are probably thousands of proper skilled programmers out there... probably ex Microsoft/Apple employees who would love to work for you and replace the utterly clueless pack of mooks you have working on your software right now.

On what level of reason is it OK to pair your iPhone to iDrive, go through several Carplay prompts and accept them all, have your iPhone showing that Carplay is enabled, the phone is paired and all media options active, yet in order to actually get Carplay to display you then have to (completely unguided and unprompted) go into iDrive profiles, dig three menus deep, and then explicitly turn on Carplay??? Even though Apple themselves say that Carplay should and will just work when your phone is paired to the car.

Idiots. There are better UX designers out there BMW, please go and find them.

I'm not even going to get into the fact that Carplay is only displaying across half the iDrive panel either with 50% of the display being a black empty zone.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 01:56 PM   #4
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

BMW OEM system is the iDrive, not CarPlay. If you want CarPlay in the iDrive menu then select CarPlay once and it will be in the menu to select. This is the OEM design as no manufacturer will prioritize an aftermarket system over their own OEM system in the main display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFI View Post
Just updating, it's working now.

I have to say though, I know they will never see this... but BMW please, there are probably thousands of proper skilled programmers out there... probably ex Microsoft/Apple employees who would love to work for you and replace the utterly clueless pack of mooks you have working on your software right now.

On what level of reason is it OK to pair your iPhone to iDrive, go through several Carplay prompts and accept them all, have your iPhone showing that Carplay is enabled, the phone is paired and all media options active, yet in order to actually get Carplay to display you then have to (completely unguided and unprompted) go into iDrive profiles, dig three menus deep, and then explicitly turn on Carplay??? Even though Apple themselves say that Carplay should and will just work when your phone is paired to the car.

Idiots. There are better UX designers out there BMW, please go and find them.

I'm not even going to get into the fact that Carplay is only displaying across half the iDrive panel either with 50% of the display being a black empty zone.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 02:36 PM   #5
CrossyN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
BMW OEM system is the iDrive, not CarPlay. If you want CarPlay in the iDrive menu then select CarPlay once and it will be in the menu to select. This is the OEM design as no manufacturer will prioritize an aftermarket system over their own OEM system in the main display.
I didn't suggest or even hint that they prioritise Carplay over their native iDrive. What I said was that after you pay for a Carplay subscription through BMW Connected services, physically pair your phone to the car, enable everything that can be enabled, Carplay should not be completely invisible with zero trace of any guides on how to find it. You shouldn't then have to Google it (which is almost impossible due to the vague search criteria), or in my case by chance speak to someone who had already been through this stupid dance, then dive 3 menus deep into the iDrive system to turn on what should have turned on when you subscribed to it. That is objectively bad UX design.

Regarding it only filling up half the iDrive panel, that's not the end of the world but there are other cars with similar sized displays that use all the screen real estate with Carplay. I can forget about that but the workflow just to turn on Carplay is outright amateurish software design.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #6
4151zero
HOV clogger
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 and i3 BEV

My 2017 with 1 year ACP subscription keeps dropping CP with my old Iphone 8 and brand new 11, where I have to re-pair everything because the CP symbol disappears and doesn't allow functionality. Which menu's did you go 'into ' to turn it back on ?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 02:56 PM   #7
4151zero
HOV clogger
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 and i3 BEV

My 2017 with 1 year ACP subscription keeps dropping CP with my old Iphone 8 and brand new 11, where I have to re-pair everything because the CP symbol disappears and doesn't allow functionality. Which menu's did you go 'into ' to turn it back on ?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 03:47 PM   #8
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

I turned on CarPlay with my new phone and turned it off 20 min later.
1 how the heck do I get back to reg bmw stuff? All other car makers have a simple return to car functions button and get out of CarPlay.
2 why do my voice prompts stop working?
3 why do the basic I drive things go bye bye

Maybe all in the manual, but seriously all of this is intuitive in other brands implementation of CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #9
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Hit up kubax86 for fullscreen carplay fyi.
      10-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #10
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
I turned on CarPlay with my new phone and turned it off 20 min later.
1 how the heck do I get back to reg bmw stuff? All other car makers have a simple return to car functions button and get out of CarPlay.
2 why do my voice prompts stop working?
3 why do the basic I drive things go bye bye

Maybe all in the manual, but seriously all of this is intuitive in other brands implementation of CarPlay.
1. Click "MENU" button on your iDrive controller.
2. It uses Siri when in CarPlay
3. All iDrive things are retained
Appreciate 0