Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

10-23-2019, 09:15 AM   #1
CanIDeductIt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i, Macan Turbo

Pulse of the used F80 M3 market

Hi all. First post, long time lurker. I've been in the market for an M3 for a couple of months now, and trying to figure out a game plan for acquiring the right car without having to sit on the sidelines another 6 months. There are vehicles of interest to me out there, but so far nothing that's within a day's drive. So I'm trying to weigh whether more of the 2018's will start to come off of lease in the coming weeks/months and will hit the market or, maybe I should just expand my net and consider buying sight unseen and having something shipped to my location. As much as I'd love to fly out somewhere and make a nice road trip back home with the new car, work and family schedule simply doesn't permit that in the coming months.

Anyone seeing anything or have any thoughts on what the near future might hold on inventory levels? On a side note, I found a car that is pretty close to what I'm looking for, but it has Carbonstructure seats. I like the practicality and idea of them, I'm just not able to find any locally to see in person and after reading every thread here about them and seeing all of the photos I still can't make up my mind on their aesthetics.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 09:32 AM   #2
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

First question; Have you driven one yet? When I was first contemplating a F80 I wasn't sure if I wanted the Comp with a DCT. I test drove one and wasn't impressed with the harshness of the DCT. I then test drove a Exec non-comp with a 6spd and loved the way the car drove. I then knew that a Comp 6spd was what I wanted. The Exec package didn't matter so much, but a sunroof was a must. This made my search even more difficult as I wanted YMB/BLK/ZCP/6spd/Sunroof. Everytime one hit the market it seemed to sell quite quickly.

I ultimately found a 2018 listed here for a lease transfer and did it without seeing or driving the car. I did have a PPI at a BMW dealer and the car was spotless. I flew up to northern FL from S. FL and drove the car home.

Right now prices seem to be softening a little more on the car. But that expected as at the 2yr mark all cars hit another depreciation curve. I don't know how many 24mo leases BMW did with the M3, but more of the 3/36 leases will start showing up at dealers soon. A lot are hitting the Manheim auctions right now.
      10-23-2019, 09:37 AM   #3
CanIDeductIt
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the informative response. Yes, I've had a chance to drive a few locally, both DCT and 6MT, and both ZCP and non ZCP. The DCT was impressive and seemed more refined than the E90's I drove some time ago, but the manual is for me. I'm fortunate to not have a congestion filled commute and know I'd kick myself for getting the DCT. I'm more on the fence with the ZCP, it would be nice to have and I've read great things about it, but for my use I think I could either take or leave it. For what it's worth, the only long distance sight unseen scenarios I'm considering are from BMW dealers on cars with plenty of warranty left.

There's one that's so close to what I want and has ZCP, just can't decide on the carbon structure interior.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 09:48 AM   #4
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysworkin1 View Post
Thanks for the informative response...

There's one that's so close to what I want and has ZCP, just can't decide on the carbon structure interior.
My pleasure. I only wanted leather so the carbon was not an option. The ZCP is definitely worth it. My car has most of the Exec options less the HUD and self parking thingy.
      10-23-2019, 10:00 AM   #5
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysworkin1 View Post
Thanks for the informative response. Yes, I've had a chance to drive a few locally, both DCT and 6MT, and both ZCP and non ZCP. The DCT was impressive and seemed more refined than the E90's I drove some time ago, but the manual is for me. I'm fortunate to not have a congestion filled commute and know I'd kick myself for getting the DCT. I'm more on the fence with the ZCP, it would be nice to have and I've read great things about it, but for my use I think I could either take or leave it. For what it's worth, the only long distance sight unseen scenarios I'm considering are from BMW dealers on cars with plenty of warranty left.

I have a 2015 with 67k miles, manual, carbonstructure.

I have never ever regretted carbonstructure. I have occasionally wished I had a full leather dash but honestly I'd rather have carbonstructure seating with it's wear and comfort characteristics vs. a full leather dash that's a bit nicer to look at. YMMV
      10-23-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
CanIDeductIt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
I have a 2015 with 67k miles, manual, carbonstructure.

I have never ever regretted carbonstructure. I have occasionally wished I had a full leather dash but honestly I'd rather have carbonstructure seating with it's wear and comfort characteristics vs. a full leather dash that's a bit nicer to look at. YMMV
Great input. I've read to find a thread where someone regretted going with Carbonstructure. That said, there's so few cars out there with it I guess those who have it knew what they wanted. I'm trying to put myself in theoretical spot where if I was ordering new would I go with the cloth. I fully believe it's the more practical option for warm and cold weather conditions and wears better than leather, I'm just not sure about the aesthetics.

Regarding the used market overall. I'm trying to gauge whether fresh used options will continue out at a trickle in the coming months, or whether we'll start to see a bump in quantities available. If the latter, I'm more inclined to sit on my hands for a bit and hope for something more local to pop up.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 10:50 AM   #7
$hah$
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 MG/MT/ZCP & 2023 X7

Garage List
2023 BMW X7  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
I would say 2017's are prob coming off leases. It is a little early to see 2018's right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 10:59 AM   #8
backhill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & 2015 Sierra HD

To follow on DocL and be more direct to your question: more 2018s will be hitting the market that are coming off a 2-year lease, with more to follow for the 3 year leases. So in the next 12 months itll look like the 2017s do now. The one thing to remember is that MY2018 started production mid-2017 and began to be delivered fall of 2017. So right now (the past 2-3 months) is when you start seeing 2018s pop up off the 2 year lease and it'll continue to grow. Looking at Manheim, there are from MY15 through MY18, 10, 26, 19, 12, cars respectively at auction right now.

Regarding how many pop up, just go on cars.com and filter how many listings are 7 days or newer to give you an idea, plus this site, plus whatever else you find. The amount out there is healthy relative to previous generations.

IIRC, ZCP did not allow Carbon Structure interior. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me if it changed for 2018.

More off-topic, theres a Jahre on Manheim right now in Illinois that ends in a few hours.

Edit: This one

https://chicagocarsonline.com/2017-B...8/Details.aspx
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 03:13 PM   #9
TheActionKid
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3 SMG Steel Gray/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhill View Post
To follow on DocL and be more direct to your question: more 2018s will be hitting the market that are coming off a 2-year lease, with more to follow for the 3 year leases. So in the next 12 months itll look like the 2017s do now. The one thing to remember is that MY2018 started production mid-2017 and began to be delivered fall of 2017. So right now (the past 2-3 months) is when you start seeing 2018s pop up off the 2 year lease and it'll continue to grow. Looking at Manheim, there are from MY15 through MY18, 10, 26, 19, 12, cars respectively at auction right now.

Regarding how many pop up, just go on cars.com and filter how many listings are 7 days or newer to give you an idea, plus this site, plus whatever else you find. The amount out there is healthy relative to previous generations.

IIRC, ZCP did not allow Carbon Structure interior. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me if it changed for 2018.

More off-topic, theres a Jahre on Manheim right now in Illinois that ends in a few hours.

Nice spot - the 30 Jahre is the F80 M3 to own!
Appreciate 1
RElias21562.50
      10-23-2019, 03:36 PM   #10
CanIDeductIt
Private First Class
Rep

There was a part of me that thought supplies might be tight until the G80 sedans are out, but I guess the pricing and auction volume is showing otherwise. The 2018 ZCP I was looking at has the Carbonstructure interior so must have been an option for that year. Too bad I can't locate one locally to check out. I'm surprised at how many 2018's are out there with reasonable mileage, and some of the PCO'd. Also sill amazed at the disparity in condition of similar age and mileage cars. Have looked at 3 owner cars that look showroom quality inside and, and one owner leases that look like they should have 100k miles on them. Shouldn't be surprised, but still am.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #11
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhill View Post

ZCP with CS Cloth was 100% an allowed option combination. IMO it may be the best of the options as well, but YMMV. Definitely check it out, it's a great 'cloth' interior, I should've specced it on mine (But the full leather dash and door cards are also a must have so......there's no ideal solution for me from OEM build sheets).

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 12:51 PM   #12
CanIDeductIt
Private First Class
Rep

Replies like these help me out a lot on this decision. This car I'm looking at is exactly as I'd option it were to I order it brand new, aside from the Carbonstructure. Not that I'm against it, rather I just haven't seen it in person to consider it. I've probably scoured and found every photo and video of it available, and I love the way the seats look and know they're more practical and functional. It's the door inserts that I'm unsure of and the lack of dash leather with the extended leather option.

I'm pretty torn on what to do. Could sit out and hope for something closer and with leather to hit the market or look at all of the positives on this one and go for it knowing that I'll probably like and might even prefer the cloth after some time with it. As I said earlier in the thread, I've yet to read that anyone regretted going with carbonstructure.
I've never had a leather dash in any of my prior cars so not sure that's a huge deal. The cloth door inserts are unique and I'm sure will grow on me. I'm sure on a the first 20 degree day of the year I'll be thankful for the cloth.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 06:42 PM   #13
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Cloth seats are dope man. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a car with them if it had everything else I wanted. Back in the e46 days cloth seats were highly desirable.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #14
T1M3LESS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 CS

Love my carbonstructure cloth/leather seats.
Mine is spec'd ZCP, 6MT and CSAT. At least for me, I wouldn't spec it any other way -- other than a full leather dash.

Here are some older pics -

IG | T1M3LESS
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11478.00
      10-25-2019, 11:56 AM   #15
CanIDeductIt
Private First Class
Rep

Nice! I'm 95% percent sure if I get it it's going to grow on me. I actually love the way the seats look. For some reason am unsure of the door inserts, and can't figure out why. At the end of the day, on the rare occasion when I actually get to wring it to red line, the subtleties of the interior will be the furthest thing from my mind.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 12:17 PM   #16
dantm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Xdrive

Carbonstructure

I have it in my 2015 and absolutely love it. I live in TX and the heat with leather is horrible, and the cloth just feels batter when its hot in the cabin. Also, they are truly sporty seats and I get a ton of compliments on them every time I drive it to a meet.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 02:10 PM   #17
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Cloth seats are really awesome! I have my E90 and E92 like that, so much better

The CS unfortunately came with leather
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 03:28 PM   #18
N55Msport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11'E90 15'F30 16'F80

16' six speed here adding my 2c....I have Sakhir Orange leather. My seats are warm! Meaning little to zero airflow. If I was to change anything it would be having CS seats/interior especially in Florida.
Appreciate 0