EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

04-05-2019, 06:41 PM   #67
vulpes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP

Mines also starting to get louder post RIS mileage.

There's hope yet!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #68
Srac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019MY F82 M4 CP SO

Does anyone notice any difference in sound between Efficient, Sport, and Sport+? Apart from the burbles I can't tell any diference, be it idling or WOT.

Also, I feel like I hear the exhaust valves working hard, opening and closing everytime I press/lift the accelerator.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 02:48 AM   #69
vulpes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP

AFAIK the exhaust vales are closed in efficient, and open in both sport modes, but it's somewhat throttle position dependant.. but yes I do notice a difference in sound between modes.

I also believe the valves have a relationship with the OPF on the later cars, I read somewhere that they close in order to start the filter regeneration process, this is why I've not unplugged mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 10:14 AM   #70
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY19 M4 CP (SMB)

Haven’t noticed any difference between pre and post PPF for flap operation. Efficient has them closed until you hit high revs, sport/sport+ open all the time. Mine is much louder idling and driving ... although still too quiet overall!!
Appreciate 1
Colinv64013.50
      06-13-2019, 07:14 AM   #71
eau_rouge
Germany
Rep
Drives: Alpina B3 G21 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srac View Post
Great news! After 6.000 km the exhaust is significantly louder. Today just finished 7000 km and it made a crackle for the first time ever (when you release the accelerator at high RPM) and burbles are also noticeable louder. I'm not sure if the soft recall had anything to do with it.
Maybe I won't need to burn 5k euros on a new exhaust after all.
I am having the same problem. After 10k km, it's still very quiet and I dont have the feeling that anything changed.

What "soft recall" did you had? Did they do something to your car?
2005 E46 M3 S54 - TS/GN5TT - 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 04:19 PM   #72
M4UFO
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 Comp

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [0.00]
I only done 500mls in my 2019 M4 comp so far but the start up is a little softer which isn't a bad thing as my 2015 M4 was loud first thing in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 05:01 PM   #73
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY19 M4 CP (SMB)

I'm pretty happy now with the volume of mine - have no desire to sound like a boy racer and it means I can skip efficient mode which is pointless. Noticing big difference between S and S+ in terms of burbles now it's all opened up a bit. I've also settled on ASD fully off and means it can be a smooth, quiet cruiser but just about enough exhaust noise into cabin when pressing on.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 03:26 AM   #74
hoybhoy
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus ST, Porsche 997, M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eau_rouge View Post
I am having the same problem. After 10k km, it's still very quiet and I dont have the feeling that anything changed.

Any update on this 'soft recall'? I got my 68 plate m4 comp yesterday and it is very quiet 😔
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #75
Srac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019MY F82 M4 CP SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by eau_rouge View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoybhoy View Post
Any update on this 'soft recall'? I got my 68 plate m4 comp yesterday and it is very quiet ��
I don't know the name of the soft recall. I don't think it changed anything regarding the sound. It was just a software update. My car has achieved pick volume at 15k kms, am now at almost 20k.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #76
hoybhoy
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus ST, Porsche 997, M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srac View Post
I don't know the name of the soft recall. I don't think it changed anything regarding the sound. It was just a software update. My car has achieved pick volume at 15k kms, am now at almost 20k.
That's good to hear. I wonder if I turn off that redic active sound then I would be able to hear it better? Mines has done nearly 3k miles and I aint getting any pops or bangs, only in neutral 😡
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 09:13 PM   #77
M4UFO
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 Comp

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [0.00]
I been driving around in comfort mode since I got the car because I wanted to get all my carbon bits in the front and rear but all done now.
Car been dropped by 20mm and fitted wheels spacers she looks the part now. Switch too sports mode for the first time and pop’s an crackle are very faint I mean what the point for an M car to sound like that. Very disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 06:08 AM   #78
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp (Evolve Tune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhm_SIIM4 View Post
Hi all,

So I’ve just replaced my ‘16 M4 standard with a new (September ‘18 build date) M4 Competition Pack with the new Petrol/Gasoline Particle Filter. Car feels great and I’m liking the suspension and TCS setting better - however it is really a lot quieter than my non-CP one.

In some ways this is a helpful as I couldn’t really use S/S+ engine in towns/villages in the old one as it was often embarrassingly loud. But on the other hand it is really a bit quiet - and now I’ve turned off ASD which made a bloody racket especially on the motorway and had to go - its positively civilised even in S+.

Also, the burbles/pops are there but pretty quiet - I can’t hear them at all on the go - if I park up and rev the engine they’re there and it is clearly different to my previous one - but I was kinda expecting it to be more overt.

So I am wondering whether the filter is taming the exhaust - any other experience? Hopefully with the reported 0.1atm extra boost there is no loss in power. It certainly feels quick enough.

Other observations with the switch to a 2-year newer CP.

1. Suspension/ride much firmer - which I like - and rides B-roads as well or better - clever stuff. I will get flamed for this but the overall solidity vs the non-CP feels more Porsche like.
2. Steering feels a little heavier and more natural - maybe coding, maybe wider tyres but slightly better in my view.
3. MDM mode seems more playful
4. The MPSS tyres are lethal compared to the 4S tyres I had on my last one - in damp conditions
5. DCT seems smoother - in S3, much less thuds through gears - doesn’t want to spin its wheels on the 2nd to 3rd change anymore but doesn’t seem slower. Probably a good thing as it was a bit silly before.
6. And I got San Marino Blue for a sensible price now its been added as a ‘standard’ colour.

Richard.
ok i have lots of experience with the late opf m4. i have a san marino one 7 months old, running 550bhp stage two at min. So my first mod was to map car and have the opf opened from the top and gutted, its like a honeycomb very restrictive. Straight away you get your proper M4 comp sound.

I wanted bit more power no now have mid pipes by AA single pipe so less rasp, VRSF downpipes and standard backbox, as no need to remove, then i went stage two map. Yes warranty could be an issue but sod it, i mod all my bmws.

So either stage one or two tune really gives you sound back, but you need to loose the opf. The american guys luckily dont have this issue.

Appreciate 2
Colinv64013.50