Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

10-22-2019, 09:23 PM   #1
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M3 ZCP / '20 X3 M40i

Question Anyone else running WS90 this winter season?

Tomorrow, I am installing a set of the new Blizzaks WS90s (245/45f18 on BBS SR) and I am excited to try them out. Anyone else driving the M3 this winter (in the snow/ice and salt)? What tire are you running? This is my first winter with the F80 (but I drove the E46M ZCP and E60 M5 in 6 harsh winters ~10 years ago). I live in Minnesota.

This tire is supposed to be a noticeable step up in handling, ice traction and thread life (the ways WS80 was falling behind). I know there have been similar threads but many new tires were released since then and I am looking to hear from folks that braved a few winters.

Also has clearance been an issue on competition package with the BMW M performance front lip? Looks low af.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 10:11 PM   #2
JTM09
BMW addict
Rep
Drives: German cars

This will be winter #3 for me. Blizzak LM. F80 is a tank in the snow.

This will be my first winter with BMW M perf splitter + lip tho... a bit nervous. At stock ride height, we should be ok.
      10-22-2019, 11:11 PM   #3
kss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AY F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keca10 View Post
Tomorrow, I am installing a set of the new Blizzaks WS90s (245/45f18 on BBS SR) and I am excited to try them out. Anyone else driving the M3 this winter (in the snow/ice and salt)? What tire are you running? This is my first winter with the F80 (but I drove the E46M ZCP and E60 M5 in 6 harsh winters ~10 years ago). I live in Minnesota.

This tire is supposed to be a noticeable step up in handling, ice traction and thread life (the ways WS80 was falling behind). I know there have been similar threads but many new tires were released since then and I am looking to hear from folks that braved a few winters.

Also has clearance been an issue on competition package with the BMW M performance front lip? Looks low af.
I bought a F80 ZCP last November and went with the BMW tire and rim package with the 640M square 18 inch setup with the continental contiwinter contact performance winter tires and I hate those tires when there is a lot of snow and ice.
I will never buy continental winter tires again - we had a brutal winter last year and I will never buy those again. The only other issue is that the lip acts as a snow pole and when the snow is deep watch for ice forming on the lips and the rims, but I still drove all winter - had a couple of hairy situations. Not ideal in extreme conditions, but doable.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 12:25 AM   #4
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah I got that front setup too - splitters and lip. Looks so good.

I might refresh the lip after 1-2 winters if it gets worn.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 09:47 AM   #5
karlskry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Silverstone/Sakhir

Going in with a new set of blizzaks and a square 18" setup this winter- 245/45/18 pizza cutters. My old v8 e60 rwd was a tank in the snow even with cheap hankook snow tires, do I expect the f80 will do well also. My only concern is the lower ride height like you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 09:51 AM   #6
The NC Professor
TNCP - 2016 F80 /// M3
Rep
Drives: BMW 2016 /// M3

I'm considering the Pilot Alpin PA4. The Bizzaks are on my radar, but I just read an article comparing the two and the performance rating on the Pilot Alpin PA4s seemed a tad better for braking and the like.

Has anyone every run the Pilot Alpin PA4s? I have a 2016 M3.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 11:18 AM   #7
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM09 View Post
This will be winter #3 for me. Blizzak LM. F80 is a tank in the snow.

This will be my first winter with BMW M perf splitter + lip tho... a bit nervous. At stock ride height, we should be ok.
Good luck with your 80k snow plow.

xD
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 11:21 AM   #8
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlskry View Post
Going in with a new set of blizzaks and a square 18" setup this winter- 245/45/18 pizza cutters. My old v8 e60 rwd was a tank in the snow even with cheap hankook snow tires, do I expect the f80 will do well also. My only concern is the lower ride height like you mentioned.
The low ride height is a big issue.

I got stuck on snow a lot last year... Especially when going up ramps half once the front wheel would reach the top of the ramp the body of the car would be floating on top of the snow so I couldn't make it up. Lol
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 11:42 AM   #9
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
The low ride height is a big issue.

I got stuck on snow a lot last year... Especially when going up ramps half once the front wheel would reach the top of the ramp the body of the car would be floating on top of the snow so I couldn't make it up. Lol
this is my biggest concern. Looking at the front of the car, there isn't much clearance even with stock suspension height.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 02:05 PM   #10
CRRobert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 Avus Blue ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The NC Professor View Post
I'm considering the Pilot Alpin PA4. The Bizzaks are on my radar, but I just read an article comparing the two and the performance rating on the Pilot Alpin PA4s seemed a tad better for braking and the like.

I ran the PA4 on my 340IX, and they are definitely more of a performance winter. It worked great for the cold dry days or wet. Light snow was ok, but was easy to get 4 wheel drift going, especially on ice. Better than all seasons. I don’t currently plan to run them on my M3, have another vehicle with dedicate Nokian snow tires, plus I am more worried about other drivers without snow tires. If i were to run them on my M3, would have to stay home for the few days that we get the snow over ice that we can get, but be good for the dry cold days.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 03:00 PM   #11
The NC Professor
TNCP - 2016 F80 /// M3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRRobert View Post
I ran the PA4 on my 340IX, and they are definitely more of a performance winter. It worked great for the cold dry days or wet. Light snow was ok, but was easy to get 4 wheel drift going, especially on ice. Better than all seasons. I don’t currently plan to run them on my M3, have another vehicle with dedicate Nokian snow tires, plus I am more worried about other drivers without snow tires. If i were to run them on my M3, would have to stay home for the few days that we get the snow over ice that we can get, but be good for the dry cold days.
Thanks for the wisdom! Perhaps, I'll just stick to the Blizzaks. I have a few winter trips planned for Pittsburgh and Chicago. I'd hate to get stuck with tires that are not adequate for the "possibilities" of snow storms.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 04:41 PM   #12
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:

Yep, ran them last year in our snowy winter in the Utah mountains.

While semis and 4runners were in the ditch driving up the pass, my M3 did just fine and never even hinted at losing traction.

The winter set goes on this weekend too.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 03:54 AM   #13
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRRobert View Post
I ran the PA4 on my 340IX, and they are definitely more of a performance winter. It worked great for the cold dry days or wet. Light snow was ok, but was easy to get 4 wheel drift going, especially on ice. Better than all seasons. I don't currently plan to run them on my M3, have another vehicle with dedicate Nokian snow tires, plus I am more worried about other drivers without snow tires. If i were to run them on my M3, would have to stay home for the few days that we get the snow over ice that we can get, but be good for the dry cold days.
Thanks for the wisdom! Perhaps, I'll just stick to the Blizzaks. I have a few winter trips planned for Pittsburgh and Chicago. I'd hate to get stuck with tires that are not adequate for the "possibilities" of snow storms.
The PA4 reviews are all over the map. I've seen everything from "went up 12" snow through the mountains - no problem" to "if you get more than 2" of snow, it may not be ideal".

I was close to getting them since with my last Nokian R2s, the dry acceleration was terrible. Handling in the dry was ok (I guess it was no worse than a Camry or Accord at that point) for winter time but any time you accelerated even on the highway, the traction light was flickering and cutting power. By season 3 as they wore down they were better in this respect but snow performance dropped a little. They were still phenomenal in the snow, ice, slush but definitely a compromise tire. There's one member here (dapper?) who's older posts swayed me away from the PA4. He picked them up a couple of seasons ago and as time went on his reviews of the tire seemed more in line with what I expected, which is that they are great on the dry but a compromise on snow. If I lived a little further south, I'd definitely do the PA4 but I'm now feeling like I'd rather live with the security of the more serious Nordic tires.

In that respect there is a new Continent Viking 7 which takes the place of the SI in the USA and the Viking 6 in Europe. It has placed at the top of a bunch of tests now. Seems once again as a more serious snow/ice tire with dry compromise. The Nokian R3 that replaces the R2 is still close to the top but dropped a little as other tires improved. Blizzaks don't seem to do well on those overseas tests which I always found strange. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but the older Blizzaks were constructed in such a way that they lost their winter abilities once they got to 50% worn. Also keep in mind that Blizzak makes Nordic tires as well as performance winters so they can perform vastly different.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 08:17 AM   #14
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Do you have links to some of those more recent tests?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 02:55 PM   #15
CRRobert
Private First Class
Rep

I will clarify a little further on my PA4 experience. If it was cold and snowy they were fine, anything more than a couple of inches on unplowed roads became an issue with ground clearance instead of capability of the tire. I felt they were also good when it was slushy since it seemed to evacuate the slush better where the Mag Chloride slush can even effect winter tires like the R2 i used to have on another car. We just would get the warmer days, then rain would turn to snow so you would get a thin layer of ice under the snow, and that is where the more dedicated winter tires/studded tires are better, and that is really the only condition where the PA4 was an issue for me, but it was worth it to me for the better handling when a couple of days later, it was dry and sunny. Love Colorado weather.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 03:20 PM   #16
CRRobert
Private First Class
Rep

I would add that if I only had the M3 for the winter, I would go with the PA4 or the newer PA5 if size I wanted available . I personally like Nokian and would go for unstudded Hakka 8 over R3 if I had to go with a more dedicated winter tire for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 07:23 AM   #17
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Do you have links to some of those more recent tests?
Here's the Autofil test results:

https://alltyretests.com/continental...7-test-review/

This one takes a little more work as it's in Russian so you need to work through google translate.

https://shina.guide/press/21402/

There's one more online as well, also an overseas test.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 04:17 PM   #18
The NC Professor
TNCP - 2016 F80 /// M3
Rep

Continentals

Quote:

I ended up purchasing the Continental DWS 06 tires. I actually like the tires. The side walls are noticeably softer, the ride is quiet; but I don't feel any performance limitations from the Michelin PSS I had on for summer.

After having them mounted I did notice a slight "pulling to the right" which aggravates me. The Michelin PSS were not doing that. The tread pattern of the Continentals is actually wider at the grooves. So given the physics of the entire thing I'm going in for a wheel alignment. That should fix that.

The reason I went with the Continentals over the Blizzaks is because the Blizzaks get very gummy when operating over 45 degrees F. They are already sticky but really get gummy when operating at the aforementioned temperature. I live in the mid Atlantic region. I don't get as much snow (if any) as northern areas of the country, but I get enough cold and wet and possible snow (that closes down my town!) that I thought this was the best tire for me. I heard from a girl that is in the M Flight Facebook group that runs the DWS 06s in Colorado. I see now why she loves them. I'm sure they do well in the snow. At least that's what she said with all confidence.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 09:11 AM   #19
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
I have had Sottozero's, PA2&3's, Hakka R2's, and even regular Michelin Alpin tires way back when. Have always stayed away from Blizzaks, even on non high HP cars, have Blizzaks LM's now as thats what came with the used set I bought. I absolutely hate them. No Blizzak is a good choice for a performance car, they are loud, squirelly and wander in dry conditions, all around just plain suck in non-snow conditions for any powerful car.

On my M5 I wont even use Nokians because they are too exp to burn up as fast as I do, the Sottozeros and Pilot Alpins are equal from my experience except for price.

Blizzaks on an M car are for people who are either cheap or drive it easy. I dont think I can burn up my Blizzaks in just this season, but might replace them no matter what for next year.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 09:52 AM   #20
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

The way i see it if you are going to have a dedicated winter setup, get a WINTER setup. Not some half baked version where its more like a all season tire than a snow tire.

It also depends on where you live and how much snow you are expecting to drive on. If there are days that you have to head out no matter what then I would get the best snow tire setup money can buy. When conditions are bad and you are stuck out driving you will be glad you did....
      12-05-2019, 10:42 AM   #21
fknlo
Private
Rep
Drives: s2k, f80, Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
I dont think I can burn up my Blizzaks in just this season, but might replace them no matter what for next year.
WS80's would barely make it through the season on the drive wheels of my GTI, I don't even want to know what the M3 would do to them. Days where it gets warm would murder them and they'd sound like peeling velcro with any kind of acceleration. Maybe the WS90's are better in this regard?

I still haven't 100% figured out if I'm going to replace the PA4's on the rear of mine with Hakka R3's or not. The PA4's are great for driving around the front range corridor but I don't know how they'll handle the mountains.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 04:44 PM   #22
cire
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

I run the 245/45/18 square setup WS 90's on my F80 M3. I live in Calgary Alberta. We have had several winter storms this year and they are excellent. Not sure how many winters they will last but after a few years not driving the car in the winter, I finally decided to and I am glad I did.
Appreciate 0