Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

02-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #1
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

iDrive to display torque and horsepower in real time?

So - is this true? If what I heard is correct (read it somewhere on this forum) that would be AWESOME........
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
gee-m-w
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S4

I don't think the computer actually knows that value. But it could relate the RPM to a dyno run and give you an approximation. Heat and atmospheric conditions would trend those numbers down.
      02-10-2014, 07:37 PM   #3
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
So - is this true? If what I heard is correct (read it somewhere on this forum) that would be AWESOME........
I am shocked it took that long, GTRs nav screen is very cool with the displays.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide
And also - assuming this is true, how would it be calculated? Would it be a "simple" program that would assume that at a given rpm, assuming full throttle is being applied, that a given crankshaft horsepower and torque are being produced? Or - on the other hand - would the system truly be able to state, without making "assumptions," what the true real time horsepower and torque at the crankshaft are at any given moment in time, regardless of conditions?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
iDrive has native Sport Displays that show torque and horsepower, and the figures adjust when you add the M Power Kit. I'm sure the figures will be different for the new F8X as well. They look like this:

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 02-10-2014 at 07:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
iDrive has native gauges that show torque and horsepower.
Standard feature for the F3x, not just the F8x, correct?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #7
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Yes, they have this feature but so does the 335, so it's nothing new.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #8
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Standard feature for the F3x, not just the F8x, correct?
Correct!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #9
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig View Post
Yes, they have this feature but so does the 335, so it's nothing new.
You mean the F30 or E90?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #10
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M sa View Post
You mean the F30 or E90?
I'm sure he meant F3X.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 07:48 PM   #11
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Neat
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 07:49 PM   #12
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

That's pretty lame, IMO.

This is pretty bad ass in the Vette ZO6.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/...ntcmp=features

From the same company that has been kicking BMW's arse lately in the comparos.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #13
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

Quote:
And also - assuming this is true, how would it be calculated? Would it be a "simple" program that would assume that at a given rpm, assuming full throttle is being applied, that a given crankshaft horsepower and torque are being produced? Or - on the other hand - would the system truly be able to state, without making "assumptions," what the true real time horsepower and torque at the crankshaft are at any given moment in time, regardless of conditions?
It's BMW so the algorithms would be programmed to read low of course
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #14
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
That's pretty lame, IMO.

Wow! You should get a Z06! Then you wouldn't be lame.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #15
JS919
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
That's pretty lame, IMO.

Cadillacs are lame, IMO. Not sure what else Government Motors makes that compares to a current BMW?

The Z06 may be bad ass but I'd bet the F8X outsells it 10-1. Most people wouldn't want it as a daily driver, but if you got an $100,000 for track car they are pretty sweet.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #16
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
Cadillacs are lame, IMO. Not sure what else Government Motors makes that compares to a current BMW?

The Z06 may be bad ass but I'd bet the F8X outsells it 10-1. Most people wouldn't want it as a daily driver, but if you got an $100,000 for track car they are pretty sweet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
Wow! You should get a Z06! Then you wouldn't be lame.
You must be 18 years old for such a weak response.
Let a man teach you young buck how it works. When you start making personal attacks on someone in a debate, you lose. END OF STORY. You need to explain why I'm lame without actually saying it. You need to back up why you think I'm lame.
Check out Jonas for a much better response.
For Jonas, GM has unfortuantely spanked BMW's 335, and M5 and barely lost to the 328. I'm a totally BMW fanboy with a LIFETIME CCA membership. You need to read your car mags a lot more. I read them ALL, and I keep seeing BMW coming in LAST plast in comparo's.

The point of my post was to show that we get pseudo torque and HP readings, while GM is giving a full on track lap timer WITH a camera all built in. It's like having a GoPro and Solo II and going through the trouble to integrate the two onto the vid. This is suppose to be the most track oriented car for BMW, isn't it? And guys here are all hoping to get a torque and HP readout???
I guess that's kind of cool??

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #17
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Let a man teach you young buck how it works. When you start making personal attacks on someone in a debate, you lose. END OF STORY. You need to explain why I'm lame without actually saying it. You need to back up why you think I'm lame.
For Jonas, GM has unfortuantely spanked BMW's 335, and M5 and barely lost to the 328. I'm a totally BMW fanboy with a LIFETIME CCA membership. You need to read your car mags a lot more. I read them ALL, and I keep seeing BMW coming in LAST plast in comparo's.

The point of my post was to show that we get pseudo torque and HP readings, while GM is giving a full on track lap timer WITH a camera all built in. It's like having a GoPro and Solo II and going through the trouble to integrate the two onto the vid. This is suppose to be the most track oriented car for BMW, isn't it? And guys here are all hoping to get a torque and HP readout???

Aren't we supposed to get the ///M laptimer thingy as a standard feature on the F8X?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 09:55 PM   #18
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

Oh wow, you slapped him good

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 09:55 PM   #19
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Yea my moms 428i does that if you switch to sport display. You get a tick mark on how high your last rev went. Wish I had some pics to share
      02-10-2014, 10:25 PM   #20
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Aren't we supposed to get the ///M laptimer thingy as a standard feature on the F8X?
Laptime would be pretty awesome if you could overlay video, or even just use the iPhone to shoot video on the track.

tlp has a few vids where he overlays his Solo data onto his GoPro and it's an awesome learning tool.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 12:15 AM   #21
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
It's pretty easy to calculate HP based on all the data available. You can make a rough calculation just based on airflow alone. For instance a airflow of 150g/s equals roughly 150kW or 204Hp.

And then you can adjust for intake temperature, atmospheric pressure, boost pressure, fuel injected etc, etc. There has been apps for your phone that, together with an OBD plug and Bluetooth, has done the same for a few years...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 12:30 AM   #22
ZGM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
It's pretty easy to calculate HP based on all the data available. You can make a rough calculation just based on airflow alone. For instance a airflow of 150g/s equals roughly 150kW or 204Hp.

And then you can adjust for intake temperature, atmospheric pressure, boost pressure, fuel injected etc, etc. There has been apps for your phone that, together with an OBD plug and Bluetooth, has done the same for a few years...
I have to assume it is based on an algorithm that would only work on a stock car. Or would it still accurately give HP reading if the ECU is tuned to increase HP over stock, new intake, new exhaust or larger turbos are installed?
Appreciate 0