Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #89
ManCityFan
Banned
Rep
Drives: Evo IX MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
He has been back driving ferarris for a while now.

And agreed on the hosts. The other two are trying to be too factual; this is entertainment. TG works becaus, in the end, they are boys being boys. Bustin' balls and doing dumb shit.
pretty awful show, tbh. little to no substance. zero chemistry among the hosts. really disappointing if this is how CH will be spending his time from now on...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #90
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManCityFan View Post
pretty awful show, tbh. little to no substance. zero chemistry among the hosts. really disappointing if this is how CH will be spending his time from now on...
Was there instant chemistry between the three on TG right from the beginning?

Cheers.
      06-09-2014, 12:42 PM   #91
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
Was there instant chemistry between the three on TG right from the beginning?

Cheers.
I dont think mancityfan was saying these guys are horrible. They are all great. But their styles lead me to think they would be better off reviewing cars individually, not as a group.

Either way, I watch it all. IMO, Harris is the best in the biz right now, he combines thoughtful information with poetic words.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #92
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
I dont think mancityfan was saying these guys are horrible. They are all great. But their styles lead me to think they would be better off reviewing cars individually, not as a group.

Either way, I watch it all. IMO, Harris is the best in the biz right now, he combines thoughtful information with poetic words.
It kind of surprised me that they put them all together like that. Is this the future? Or just a one-off, NBC inaugural type of show? I sort of like each of them individually. I'm not sure about them together. Yet.

Cheers.
      06-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #93
tomwac
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 545i/520d/320d/S1000R/E24

I like to watch CH from time to time, but to be honest, not so much for the review as for watching him drift it...these /DRIVE videos are very well made, but just like I watch TG only for the laughs, I watch CH only for entertainment too. None of theses 2 would be playing any role in a decision process...
But I just can't feel this Spinelli guy...I don't know him, he might be a wealth of automotive knowledge, but God, this guy is better then sleeping pills...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #94
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwac View Post
... but God, this guy is better then sleeping pills...
The new Captain Slow?

Cheers.
      06-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #95
tomwac
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
The new Captain Slow?

Cheers.
Different...May can be a bit funny from time to time... I just can't finish watching any of the /DRIVE episodes without falling asleep... Even the TG USA boys are better at keeping me awake
As said, he might be very knowledgeable, I just don't have the feeling he can also share this information in an interesting way...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #96
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Different...May can be a bit funny from time to time... I just can't finish watching any of the /DRIVE episodes without falling asleep... Even the TG USA boys are better at keeping me awake
As said, he might be very knowledgeable, I just don't have the feeling he can also share this information in an interesting way...
Captain Sleepy then. TBH, I've not seen any of his videos. Well, maybe one or two. Matt, OTOH, seems to hold my attention somehow. And of course, I've been watching Chris' videos for a while now. Even before /DRIVE. I wish all of them success though.

And why isn't Chris' M3 video out yet?

Cheers.
      06-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #97
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
It kind of surprised me that they put them all together like that. Is this the future? Or just a one-off, NBC inaugural type of show? I sort of like each of them individually. I'm not sure about them together. Yet.

Cheers.
I think the ratings will lead their decision making. But the fact they started out making online videos and are being elevated to the brights lights of TV should make us proud.

I personally think Harris would prefer to be on his own. Matt has experience in a group review setting (his old tv show).

Like I said, I watch them all but prefer Chris' insights the most.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 01:50 PM   #98
tomwac
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

CH apparently just bought an E30 M3 Sport Evo...Damn, that car is beautiful, as seen on the pics he posted...These cars are insanely pricey here, I guess he must have paid around 50K€ which is in high contrast with his Citroen 2CV ... That is what I like about him: he is not an automotive snob...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 02:16 PM   #99
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
You're only saying that because they actually showed him making multiple attempts at trying to say "I like the McLaren..." in that Monaco episode.

C'mon man! SPIT. IT. OUT.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 08:43 AM   #100
accce
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SBM/BLK EXT CC Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManCityFan View Post
These guys need to go hang out for a week and get drunk and stupid together.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #101
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Even the TG USA boys are better at keeping me awake .
You just lost all credibility. But maybe if they had a Pat Goss segment, it would be better.
Appreciate 2
      06-13-2014, 09:55 AM   #102
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Chris Harris now in Road & Track

"English YouTube denizen Chris Harris is R&T's new U.K. representative. If he weren't such a great bloke, we'd be trying to steal his life." -- R&T, July 2014 issue, p. 34

"I love my job." -- Chris Harris
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Harris R&T.pdf (158.9 KB, 208 views)

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 03:49 AM   #103
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

I guess CH is still negotiating with BMW his 'bonus' for a good review.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 07:19 AM   #104
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
He has been at Le Mans all week...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #105
accce
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SBM/BLK EXT CC Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
I guess CH is still negotiating with BMW his 'bonus' for a good review.
+1 or the Dog ate his videos. Has anyone tweeted to ask him where the Video is?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 06:46 AM   #106
mdss6
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 (ZCP M-DCT) on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
He has been at Le Mans all week...
Quote:
Originally Posted by accce View Post
+1 or the Dog ate his videos. Has anyone tweeted to ask him where the Video is?
Hi. While admiring the only old M5 I saw at Le Mans this past weekend, I was surprised to find the owner was none other than Chris Harris.

Per his M3/4 review, he said "we put together something really quite lovely" but that it would "still be another 3-4 weeks." He continued that the problem was with monitization. "The numbers just did not add up" for producing and posting videos for free. He was concerned as coming across as greedy, but he needed to find some way to make money from these products. Whether that was payment to joint a site or per video was still being sorted out.

I was surprised to hear the posting was not imminent, and that the issue of monitization was still unresolved.

Unfortunately Mr. Harris was quite preoccupied trouble shooting a problem with the cooling system of the M5, and this exotic encoutner did not turn into an extended discussion over beers, as enjoyable and educational as that would have been. Under the circumstances I thought he was extremely gracious, but I did not get any additional information. No need to ask if I asked about X, Y or Z. I would have loved to hear myriad first hand answers, but thought no additional questions reasonable.

He was in a hurry to depart after changing fuzes and checking connections, so I wondered if the answer was a bit scripted and not current (no video until mid-July?). If so, I would not blame him as dealing with all the people that stop to say something and shake your hand - while trying to work on your car - must be quite taxing. I was trying to minimize the degree to which I was being a vulture myself. Cheers
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #107
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdss6 View Post
Hi. While admiring the only old M5 I saw at Le Mans this past weekend, I was surprised to find the owner was none other than Chris Harris.

Per his M3/4 review, he said "we put together something really quite lovely" but that it would "still be another 3-4 weeks." He continued that the problem was with monitization. "The numbers just did not add up" for producing and posting videos for free. He was concerned as coming across as greedy, but he needed to find some way to make money from these products. Whether that was payment to joint a site or per video was still being sorted out.

I was surprised to hear the posting was not imminent, and that the issue of monitization was still unresolved.

Unfortunately Mr. Harris was quite preoccupied trouble shooting a problem with the cooling system of the M5, and this exotic encoutner did not turn into an extended discussion over beers, as enjoyable and educational as that would have been. Under the circumstances I thought he was extremely gracious, but I did not get any additional information. No need to ask if I asked about X, Y or Z. I would have loved to hear myriad first hand answers, but thought no additional questions reasonable.

He was in a hurry to depart after changing fuzes and checking connections, so I wondered if the answer was a bit scripted and not current (no video until mid-July?). If so, I would not blame him as dealing with all the people that stop to say something and shake your hand - while trying to work on your car - must be quite taxing. I was trying to minimize the degree to which I was being a vulture myself. Cheers
Thanks for the update. Yeah, I read his blog about his M5 troubles

Frankly, I don't really mind waiting for the video. As I said, we know what he thinks, at this point it is just pretty eye candy and witty banter. Entertainment.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #108
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post

Meh, I'm a huge fan of Chris Harris because I feel like he's someone I can hang out with at a bar and talk about cars for hours. He comes down as genuine and like he's one of "us". And unlike Clarkson, as someone mentioned, he does have racing experience so he does know what he's talking about.

The other 2 clowns are worthless. Spinelli's after drive show is completely pointless and brings no insight. Should you buy an E36 M3 or an FRS? Let's read tweets for 15 mins. As for the fat guy, I'm also not a fan of his work. His videos = him flooring the gas pedal and laughing like an idiot and saying THIS CAR IS FAST! Not to mention his debacle a couple of years ago that made him lose all his credibility IMO. Not to mention he comes off as a complete a$$ when he responds in the comment section.

I'd have no problem watching Chris Harris do his own thing. Apart from that and Drive Clean, that's all I'm interested in.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #109
mrkhanna16
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SSII/Fox Red ZCP DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
where is the video??

E92 M3 SSII/Fox Red, DCT, ZCP
past rides-IS350, E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #110
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkhanna16 View Post
where is the video??
At this point, I dont even care about a video from him. Too much political bullshit. Most anyone can just go test drive on their own now. This would have been exciting 2-x weeks ago.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 1