R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

11-03-2020, 06:43 PM   #1
KeyBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

PPF Carbon fiber roof

Is it worth getting PPF on carbon roof (car has 37k miles with no chips).

Curious if it would actually protect the clear coat from rock impacts on the highway with the film installed.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 06:46 PM   #2
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Definitely! Never too late for ppf.
Appreciate 1
KeyBoy34.00
      11-03-2020, 07:18 PM   #3
bmwmdistrict
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by icegrill View Post
I second this. I had PPF done to my roof at similar mileage to protect it long term. No problems but don't want to risk it.
Previous: 2016 F82 ///M4 Black Sapphire Metallic | My Build Thread
Appreciate 1
KeyBoy34.00
      11-03-2020, 07:54 PM   #4
KeyBoy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsm.m4 View Post
Quote:
I second this. I had PPF done to my roof at similar mileage to protect it long term. No problems but don't want to risk it.
Nice. Did you do other parts besides the roof at that mileage?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 07:59 PM   #5
bmwmdistrict
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyBoy View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I did actually. I did the entire front end, mirrors, rocker panels (sideskirts), door edges, door handles, rear trunk deck (flat part underneath trunk).

I bought the car CPO at 36K miles and the paint all things considered was in really awesome condition. A couple small chips on the hood but really pristine all things considered. I want to keep this car about 10 years, and who knows maybe more, so it was worth it to me to make the investment. At some point this won't be my daily driver anymore but that's going to be awhile.

I also had the new carbon fiber pieces done in PPF that I got (front splitters, front lip, sideskirts, rear diffuser, mirrors).
Previous: 2016 F82 ///M4 Black Sapphire Metallic | My Build Thread
Appreciate 1
KeyBoy34.00
      11-03-2020, 08:18 PM   #6
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Yes get PPF on the carbon roof. Doesn't freak me out the couple of times a bird has decided to relieve himself/herself on the roof of my F80!
Appreciate 2
KeyBoy34.00
SYM46.00
      11-03-2020, 09:07 PM   #7
KeyBoy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I did actually. I did the entire front end, mirrors, rocker panels (sideskirts), door edges, door handles, rear trunk deck (flat part underneath trunk).

I bought the car CPO at 36K miles and the paint all things considered was in really awesome condition. A couple small chips on the hood but really pristine all things considered. I want to keep this car about 10 years, and who knows maybe more, so it was worth it to me to make the investment. At some point this won't be my daily driver anymore but that's going to be awhile.

I also had the new carbon fiber pieces done in PPF that I got (front splitters, front lip, sideskirts, rear diffuser, mirrors).
Yeah I'm only considering PPF for carbon fiber exposed areas that are costly. I saw some people posting damaged carbon fiber roofs today and couldn't get my mind off it.

My main concern (at least for now) is getting the clear coat on the carbon roof compromised and then having to repair it. If there was an easy/reliable way to fix it I would pass on the film.

I did just get an expensive rear carbon diffuser that I love and now you got me thinking if I should PPF that too. But since it's in the rear of car not sure how likely it will be effective.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 09:36 PM   #8
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

My OEM rear diffuser has PPF on it and it got hit hard by a rock that went under my car. If it can happen it will happen. I'll have to get a shot of it as it dinged the PPF pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 10:14 PM   #9
KeyBoy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightarmor View Post
My OEM rear diffuser has PPF on it and it got hit hard by a rock that went under my car. If it can happen it will happen. I'll have to get a shot of it as it dinged the PPF pretty good.
Wow. That's crazy. I wonder if mudflaps (in rear) would've prevented it.

Btw, which film did you go with? I'm thinking 3m scotchguard Pro or Expel Ultimate. I'm leaning towards 3m because I hear its thicker and better price. Still has self healing, etc..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 11:04 PM   #10
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

I did XPEL Ultimate in a partial... should have done the whole car. The stuff is priceless. You can scrub off bugs and crud so easy.

If your paint is perfect just do the whole so you never see any edges.
      11-03-2020, 11:17 PM   #11
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Wow. That's crazy. I wonder if mudflaps (in rear) would've prevented it.

Btw, which film did you go with? I'm thinking 3m scotchguard Pro or Expel Ultimate. I'm leaning towards 3m because I hear its thicker and better price. Still has self healing, etc..
Rear mudflaps would not have helped, I heard the rock bouncing along the center of the vehicle from the front (was kicked up by the vehicle in front of me). I do have mudflaps up front. I have XPEL Ultimate which is different from all of the PLUS stuff they have now. When I get my car redone in a few years it'll be whatever the latest and greatest that is out is. I have all of MY F80 done except trunk lid (never went back to get it finished) and as TopJimmy mentioned everything comes off easy and I can let the car sit dirty for longer as I don't usually have too much time to wash the car as much as I would like.
Appreciate 1
KeyBoy34.00
      11-04-2020, 03:29 PM   #12
Wmf80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Definitely do it
Actually did my roof last week after 3 years of ownership. I did the front bumper and hood within a month of purchase. The roof is still in amazing condition, but seeing some FB posts about the roof and the fact mine is parked outside all the time I decided to do it now.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 08:13 PM   #13
KeyBoy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmf80 View Post
Definitely do it
Actually did my roof last week after 3 years of ownership. I did the front bumper and hood within a month of purchase. The roof is still in amazing condition, but seeing some FB posts about the roof and the fact mine is parked outside all the time I decided to do it now.
Yeah. I had a fairly lengthy conversation with an installer today, regarding PPF on my carbon roof.

He says he'd be a lot more concerned about the clear coat getting compromised from UV rays rather than rocks. Like if a car is parked outside and consistently exposed for years. Implying that the chance something would hit the front part of the roof and damaging it was relatively much less. Luckily I am parked in a garage at home and work.

Considering i'm barely driving these days due to COVID and WFO, I'm going to wait until I start driving to work again before getting it. Probably next year.

He said my roof (and paint) was in excellent condition. And even said himself, it's probably not worth it, given my situation.

I think I'm doing it regardless just to avoid the headache of trying to get a damaged carbon roof repaired, although unlikely to happen
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 01:18 AM   #14
JagR2611
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

Quote:

Curious if it would actually protect the clear coat from rock impacts on the highway with the film installed.

Thanks
In my opinion, it is not necessary to PPF the entire CF roof. With that being said, I do think it's worth protecting ~9" of the front section. If you look closely, the carbon fiber sits up a little where it meets the windshield which puts it directly in "the line of fire". If you are worried about the rest, protect it w/a coating or sealant.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 10:49 AM   #15
KeyBoy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagR2611 View Post
Quote:

Thanks
In my opinion, it is not necessary to PPF the entire CF roof. With that being said, I do think it's worth protecting ~9" of the front section. If you look closely, the carbon fiber sits up a little where it meets the windshield which puts it directly in "the line of fire". If you are worried about the rest, protect it w/a coating or sealant.
I hear you. Was thinking the same but not sure I can live with the inconsistency in the condition of the roof between the covered and non covered portions. I'm assuming there would be a noticeable difference over time.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 01:49 AM   #16
JagR2611
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagR2611 View Post
Quote:

Thanks
I hear you. Was thinking the same but not sure I can live with the inconsistency in the condition of the roof between the covered and non covered portions. I'm assuming there would be a noticeable difference over time.
If you stay on top of it & care for it properly, time shouldn't be an issue. The only thing you would have to live with is the line where the POF stops. I am very particular and it only bothers me when the light hits it at the right angle.
Appreciate 1
KeyBoy34.00
      12-04-2020, 12:19 PM   #17
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
I have my entire F82 wrapped in PPF. It helps against your paint getting peppered from small rocks and sand due to daily use.

However, some stuff will puncture even if they don't sound major or at all. I have multiple areas on my car with the film torn off with a hole. The highest impact zones seem to be Front bumper dead center - I must be lucky as the it keeps chipping in the same area and it's just expanding the hole lol, hood ( don't bother with partial kit here, I have chips in the film near my front windshield on the hood), first few inches of the roof, rear quarter panel (near the gas tank door - so this is higher than what BMW gives you), and the side skirts.

The front headlights is highly recommended as chips will break your clear coat and cause it to haze.

The front fender is also recommended since its easier to wash off the dirt and stuff you kick up from the front wheel if you don't have mudguards.

Kinda looks ugly since it bunches up and turns grey. I have a white car so it makes it look like my car has a dirty spots all over.

I have Llumar Plat installed on my car. Been over a year and a half -- still looks good and works well.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 04:47 PM   #18
Eric SS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Chevy SS Sedan

I just PPFed my CF roof when I got the car CCed and am happy I did. I've seen enough with delamination and other issues to pay the money to have it done.
2023 X3M Comp: current
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 07:00 PM   #19
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Finally found this pic. Only happened once since ownership but was happy the PFF was there. And yes I still went straight to the car wash!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 05:22 PM   #20
AND1_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightarmor View Post
Yes get PPF on the carbon roof. Doesn't freak me out the couple of times a bird has decided to relieve himself/herself on the roof of my F80!
Funny you say that. these dam birds must love the look of a glossy carbon roof. No fail the target my car
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 06:46 PM   #21
ONEof500
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 30 Jahre

Whole car xpel ultimate with xpel fusion ceramic coating. If you can swing it highly recommend. This is what it looks like dusty!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      08-04-2021, 11:07 AM   #22
fackamato
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEof500 View Post
Whole car xpel ultimate with xpel fusion ceramic coating. If you can swing it highly recommend. This is what it looks like dusty!
How much does it cost to cover the entire car with PPF? (coating and paint prep aside)

I am trying to figure out how much it'd cost to polish the paint / get rid of imperfections and then apply PPF - it's difficult to find examples of pricing.
Appreciate 0