BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-06-2021, 09:51 PM   #1
saikumarmeka
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4

Steering Wheel Vibration over 50 mph

Hi all,

Bimmerpost has been a great platform for acquiring knowledge on F8x chassis, thanks to every single member for sharing their experiences and suggestions. I'm sure you guys have already guessed I'm new to the forum and this is my first post

I own a 2018 M4 daily driver with 30K miles, currently running on stock 19" BMW star Conti 5P tires w/ 7/32 tread left on all. Fully stock. Still on factory brake pads and rotors with more than half the life left on each.

For a month, I've observed steering wheel and body vibration at speeds over 50mph. It gets much worse as you climb up the speed, pretty much undrivable at speeds over 100mph. Braking does not result in shakiness and tried driving over 2k miles on various road textures and still the same. Definitely not the car I remember driving in the past. Since the observation, tire balance was performed using hunter road force equipment and a wheel alignment by the BMW dealership. Neither solved the issue. Rotors were checked for warpage and none was observed. Checked the wheels for roundness and everything is perfect. Tire pressure was/is maintained at 34psi (cold) all around with a weekly check.

I'm not sure if this helps but sometimes when going over bumps, I hear a clunking noise coming from the driver side of the vehicle. It's very occasional and couldn't be replicated at the dealership. My guess is this is somehow associated with shakiness, not sure.

I'd appreciate it if any of you have any insight as to what else could be looked at to rectify the issue?

Thanks again!!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 06:24 PM   #2
dodospor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 bmw m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikumarmeka View Post
Hi all,

Bimmerpost has been a great platform for acquiring knowledge on F8x chassis, thanks to every single member for sharing their experiences and suggestions. I'm sure you guys have already guessed I'm new to the forum and this is my first post

I own a 2018 M4 daily driver with 30K miles, currently running on stock 19" BMW star Conti 5P tires w/ 7/32 tread left on all. Fully stock. Still on factory brake pads and rotors with more than half the life left on each.

For a month, I've observed steering wheel and body vibration at speeds over 50mph. It gets much worse as you climb up the speed, pretty much undrivable at speeds over 100mph. Braking does not result in shakiness and tried driving over 2k miles on various road textures and still the same. Definitely not the car I remember driving in the past. Since the observation, tire balance was performed using hunter road force equipment and a wheel alignment by the BMW dealership. Neither solved the issue. Rotors were checked for warpage and none was observed. Checked the wheels for roundness and everything is perfect. Tire pressure was/is maintained at 34psi (cold) all around with a weekly check.

I'm not sure if this helps but sometimes when going over bumps, I hear a clunking noise coming from the driver side of the vehicle. It's very occasional and couldn't be replicated at the dealership. My guess is this is somehow associated with shakiness, not sure.

I'd appreciate it if any of you have any insight as to what else could be looked at to rectify the issue?

Thanks again!!
hey man , have you figure out what was the issue
Appreciate 0