Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-26-2021, 09:01 PM   #23
gunsmoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I don't have the issues OP has. Mine is a 2016 f80 at 40k miles. However, switching into 1st gear started to feel differently about this mileage and sometimes I need to release and press the clutch pedal again to be able to get into 1st. I didn't have it on this car before.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 10:55 PM   #24
Bimmer07
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: G80

I have something similar going on. 30k miles on my 18' f80. That 1-2 clunk is not a sound but more of a feel to me. Its like I feel it under my foot or something. Sometimes when putting into 1st ill hear/feel that same clunk. It just started happening so I dont know where its coming from.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 03:10 AM   #25
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer07 View Post
I have something similar going on. 30k miles on my 18' f80. That 1-2 clunk is not a sound but more of a feel to me. Its like I feel it under my foot or something. Sometimes when putting into 1st ill hear/feel that same clunk. It just started happening so I dont know where its coming from.
I feel the same. Probs normal. Race car shit, yanno
      10-27-2021, 10:05 AM   #26
Soul Coughing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
I had an issue getting the car into 1st gear when decelerating, but double clutching alleviated the problem - changing the original fluid helped too. With the car auto-rev matching, it's made me a little lazy with how I shift. Interestingly, the auto rev matching doesn't rev the car until it's in gear, which basically forces the synchro's to pick up the slack in rpm, which I'm sure adds some extra wear onto them, whereas if you were driving an old manual car, you'd have to double clutch, or at least heel and toe to get the rev's in the right range before putting the shifter into gear. I noticed it when I had the stereo and HVAC off, decelerating to a stop, and I forced (was harder to get the shifter into 1st) the shifter into 1st gear, and heard the whirring of the synchro's. Since then, I'll put the shifter in neutral, let out the clutch, rev the engine, and then depress the clutch and the shifter will fall into 1st gear with no added effort. Little extra effort, but I don't feel like I'm damaging the synchros was when I'm shifting!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 11:20 AM   #27
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F83 ZCP 6MT | F/A-18E

CDV.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 11:22 AM   #28
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F83 ZCP 6MT | F/A-18E

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1666477
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 05:32 AM   #29
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Manual

I have an 18' ZCP 6mt and I don't notice anything. I go easier when the car is warming up.
      10-28-2021, 07:43 AM   #30
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

On my 6 speed F80 there was a little notchiness to the 1-2 shift and definitely on a 2-1. It was worse when cold. I replaced my gearbox oil with quality stuff and the notchy feel smoothed out a bit.

Different issue…under launch load or with hot gear oil it was hard to shift and synchros had trouble catching up (buzz, gate not there for a sec). Rogue rear trans mounts cleaned that up. Feel is still stock but shift under load happens clean.
      10-28-2021, 08:05 AM   #31
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Coughing View Post
I had an issue getting the car into 1st gear when decelerating, but double clutching alleviated the problem - changing the original fluid helped too. With the car auto-rev matching, it's made me a little lazy with how I shift. Interestingly, the auto rev matching doesn't rev the car until it's in gear, which basically forces the synchro's to pick up the slack in rpm, which I'm sure adds some extra wear onto them, whereas if you were driving an old manual car, you'd have to double clutch, or at least heel and toe to get the rev's in the right range before putting the shifter into gear. I noticed it when I had the stereo and HVAC off, decelerating to a stop, and I forced (was harder to get the shifter into 1st) the shifter into 1st gear, and heard the whirring of the synchro's. Since then, I'll put the shifter in neutral, let out the clutch, rev the engine, and then depress the clutch and the shifter will fall into 1st gear with no added effort. Little extra effort, but I don't feel like I'm damaging the synchros was when I'm shifting!
Why would you downshift to 1st when decelerating? There's never a need for it unless you're on Stelvio Pass with very tight bends where 2nd gear bogs the car
      10-28-2021, 08:11 AM   #32
Soul Coughing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Why would you downshift to 1st when decelerating? There's never a need for it unless you're on Stelvio Pass with very tight bends where 2nd gear bogs the car
I wish I could take my M3 on the stelvio pass!

I like hearing the engine rev up as I'm slowing down, and I enjoy practicing my heel and toe! But really, there's not a rationale explanation for it!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 10:34 AM   #33
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Coughing View Post
I wish I could take my M3 on the stelvio pass!

I like hearing the engine rev up as I'm slowing down, and I enjoy practicing my heel and toe! But really, there's not a rationale explanation for it!
Stelvio's only good when it's empty very early in the morning. Any time after that, it's annoying and slow because of traffic.

That's fairs, I just can't bring myself to do it even with auto rev match on. Definitely good for practicing heel-toe, yeah
      02-21-2022, 11:18 PM   #34
maniz
Assistant TO the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Coupe

I did not follow-up on this thread. Thanks to all of you for sharing your feedback. I sent the car to the dealer two days before warranty expiration in early Sept of last year, for a thorough inspection all around so any miscellaneous leaks or issues can be caught and addressed in time (I had a freshly-broken and operated-upon ankle so couldn't do it myself). This included the transmission.

I had them drain and inspect the gear oil carefully for chunky debris...they found nothing (I had replaced the fluid at home around the 5K mark as a precautionary post-break-in step). I just wanted the piece of mind that the transmission isn't internally damaged which it wasn't. As they had before, they drove my car again; first the tech who always works on my cars and is their best guy, and then the foreman who is an old, very experienced guy. Neither has ever been hesitant to take care of warranty issues for me so they had no reason to downplay my concerns. Both drives were on two different days so the car was cold for each. Both said the shift action is normal. Granted the weather was warm then but with all their feedback combined with many of you guys, this seems to be a combination of general shift action in late-model BMWs plus perhaps the CDV.

I continue to be very light-handed in my shifts, especially when cold; always have been and always will. In fact, I don't slam through gears even with the car warmed up and in the heat of summer. The behavior has not gotten any worse which also makes me feel better. Thanks again.

Der stärkste buchstabe der welt
Appreciate 2
dzxy24.50
TimmyM56241.50
      04-13-2023, 12:09 PM   #35
ConfusionMaster
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, F83

I'm currently on my third Manual BMW

Previously it was manual Fords.

The Fords I found the gear change was always smooth and no issues putting it into gear and the drive was smooth whilst transitioning between the gears.

I had opportunities to drive other brands and most usually felt more clunky.

My first BMW was a 5 speed 328i E36 and like the Fords was easy to engage and drove smoothly transitioning between the gears.

My Second BMW is a 6 speed 330ci E46 Vert, which again is fine, except for the move from 1st to 2nd, I always find it clunky and find unless I drive it hard that transition is never a smooth one.

My Third BMW is a 6 speed M4 F83 Vert, and again all is good with engaging the gears but that transition between 1st and 2nd is clunky when trying to drive nice and relaxed (I know, who wants to drive nice and relaxed in an M car?). Fine if I want a quick getaway.

And it is worse when it's just been fired up, which I kind of expect with a tuned car.

One of my thoughts when it was just the E46 was that they had messed with the ratio's too give the car a better 0-60. Or just jamming the extra gear in from the 5 speed, they got the ration wrong on 1-2.

But it seems similar with a 6 speed 2 generations down the road.

Maybe as some have mentioned it's the CDV (I have heard this mentioned previously, but didn't look into it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_M3 2023 View Post
Have a 2018 M3. 1-2 gear change is notchy unless I take an additional second and let the rpms drop. All the other gear changes are great except for this one. I'm going to have them take a look later this year before my warranty runs out.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 04:01 PM   #36
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Remember it’s a gearbox, so you want to warm it up before the shifting will be smooth. I liked to warm up the car in the driveway a good bit anytime it was chilly or cold outside. This way some heat makes it’s way into the DMF and the trans oil.
      04-13-2023, 11:39 PM   #37
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I felt the same about my 6mt. I just replaced fluid with redline dctf, rogue tranny mounts, turner shift bushing and an autosolutions shift kit. Most of that notichness is now gone and it's way crisper than before.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 04:10 AM   #38
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

Remember that these gearboxes are quite beefy with beefy gears that rotates at different speeds. The speed difference is highest between the lowest gears, especially first and second so to slow these gears down to match them for shifting takes a little while so that is one reason for a bit rough shifting, especially at higher revs when shifting fast.
Another reason is a heavy flywheel. Another reason again is the soft rubber bushings in the shift linkage and gear lever.
Appreciate 0