Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-07-2024, 09:35 AM   #1
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Removed intake manifold and found carbon buildup

Just thought i would share this.

I was doing preventative maintenance and had to remove the intake manifold. 3 out of the 6 ports had carbon build up in it. The other 3 had no build up at all. Kinda weird. I didnt take any pics but i found a random pic online with similar amounts of buildup i saw in my own intake valves. I think its mild but im no expert.

The previous owner(original owner) had the car for ~110K miles stock. When i first got it, i did notice oil accumulation in the charge pipe and intercooler most likely from the PCV recirculating crankcase vapors into the intake. I installed a OCC and i think its doing its job because i didnt find any oil when i removed the chargepipes and intercooler recently. I dont put many miles on the car so i dont think its a fair comparison but happy to not see any oil.

The Mishimoto OCC seems to catch condensation i think. Its never thick like oil though. One thing i noticed is how restricted the air flow on the OCC is. I cleaned it with brake cleaner and blew into it but it was still restrictive. I sent an email to mishimoto about it.

I didnt do anything about the build up. Left it the way it was and put everything back together.
Anyways just wanted to share what i found.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0