EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

06-25-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
CrossyN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Private plate process

Hey all - I've just bought a private plate from a third party dealer, Regtransfers.co.uk

They're a middle man by the looks of it, private owners sell their plates through them for a fee I would imagine, using their site as a platform.

I bought a plate, and paid the £80 fee for them to take care of the DVLA registration... and they're asking me to send them my entire full V5C document so they can process the registration.

Obviously it seems reasonable that they'd need something from the V5C, but surely understandably I feel very nervous about sending the entire document? Surely if they wanted to, they could re-register my car to someone else with that in their possession?

Just wondered whether this was normal practice and something you've just got to trust them with?

Unbelievably I have called the DVLA, twice, and both times they weren't willing to advise at all... saying I should call Citizens Advice for help...! I can't be the first person to feel very nervous about sending a third party my entire V5C but I'm definitely being made to feel like I'm being unreasonable here!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 05:14 PM   #2
takumichinoku
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Are you buying? Don't see the issue mate. Should of just got them to send you the nominee retention letter(can't remember the code) and then put it on yourself. It's all paid for by them so really easy.

They are probably the leading plate sellers so I wouldn't worry if your choosing the other route i.e. Them putting it on for you.

I've just paid nearly 5 figures for my plate and they were fine to deal with.

So if your scared then just ask them to send you the retention/nominee and put it on yourself.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
CrossyN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yea I'm buying - they seem legit and I really doubt they'd be in business if they made a habit of stealing peoples cars but still... it feels wrong putting your entire V5C document into an envelope and sending it off anywhere other than the DVLA!

5 figures... wow, that must be a pretty special plate. I'm lucky in that my new plate spells out the majority of my full name, no weirdness like using 12 as an R or owt like that, and I managed to get the seller down from £1000 to £475!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 05:49 PM   #4
takumichinoku
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ahh right. It's a private seller but bought through them. I know the car has to be in your name and it being a private seller and not them selling directly then maybe they can only do it that way so everything checks out properly?

They are legit. Been going for ages. I remember them from the back page of old top marques magazine. So they must be asking for a reason due to their processes. They have the best plates for sale with some astronomical prices!

And yeah, I thought why not. Wish I bought it many years ago for a lot cheaper but it was either get a new car or the plate.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #5
CrossyN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

OK cheers man, I still don't feel overly jolly about sending off my entire V5C but if that's how it's done I'll roll with it.

I can only ever dream of being in a position where I've got nothing else to spend 5 figures on than a number plate but congrats man, I'm sure it'll look baller.

Where did you get your physical plates made? I went with platesforcars.co.uk - they did a really nice looking gel resin carbon fibre lettering with a black BMW emblem for the side badge. It might end up looking OTT but worth a punt.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 05:33 AM   #6
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
V5 is not a proof of owning the car, they can't "steal" it by registering it to someone else.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 06:59 AM   #7
CrossyN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Although I exaggerated a little by saying I guess they're not into stealing cars, the question was is it normal practice to send the entire V5 document to a third party company when buying a reg plate.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 09:41 AM   #8
Slips
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Sakhir

I’ve bought and sold plates through Regtransfers for a few thousand, they have always been very good to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 03:16 PM   #9
CrossyN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slips View Post
I’ve bought and sold plates through Regtransfers for a few thousand, they have always been very good to deal with.
Good to know thanks, the V5 has been sent off to them now.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 08:06 AM   #10
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

They are one of the biggest plate dealers they don't want to steal your car.
      06-27-2018, 03:16 PM   #11
Wo-Wo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Coupe

They only need a copy now as it's all done online, it's the serial numbers from it I think.
      06-27-2018, 04:14 PM   #12
CrossyN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

My mate just said that but then apparently that's just for new plates that haven't ever been put onto a car before? Anything else needs to still be done the old way - either way they asked for the entire V5.
Physical plates just arrived and they looked class, gel resin carbon lettering with a black BMW side badge, never thought I'd get excitable over a reg plate but can't wait to get it put on!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 04:50 PM   #13
ravibasuta
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFI View Post
My mate just said that but then apparently that's just for new plates that haven't ever been put onto a car before? Anything else needs to still be done the old way - either way they asked for the entire V5.
Physical plates just arrived and they looked class, gel resin carbon lettering with a black BMW side badge, never thought I'd get excitable over a reg plate but can't wait to get it put on!
Where from dude??
      06-28-2018, 04:58 AM   #14
CrossyN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

http://www.platesforcars.co.uk
Appreciate 0