R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

12-19-2017, 07:45 PM   #23
Gstone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 GT350, '15 M4 sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDEV217342
Good lord....people actually worry about what others think of their car? What in the hell have we become? This is the epitome of poseur.

I will say with ZERO equivocation that I have never ever stopped to think about what others will think of a vehicle I am contemplating buying.
Congratulations
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 11:16 PM   #24
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
I agree with a lot you've said above and I too am considering a 718s(or base 911)next time around. The 6MT is a great way to stay involved in the M3 drive experience, agreed!

So then, today in fact, while out on a drive in my F80 I got a thumbs up, one of many over the years of ownership, I've owned the damn thing for 3 years now, driving and still getting looks from others on the streets.

My question is, with the 718 you've been running around in, do you get the same recognition you did with the M3, or more or less? Not that it ultimately matters as we should be happy with our own choice rather than public opinion but in this case I'm wondering if a Porsche is just another car in a line of sports cars, where as an M is a special car within the BMW brand car company?

Unless it's the likes of a 918 Spider, etc, or a classic, I don't think I've ever done a double take to a Porsche drive by.

So did you feel happier driving your M3 or your 718 on the streets?

Already know the answer of which drives better.
Only car enthusiasts know what an M car is. The rest of the world just sees some random new BMW. Most people wouldn't be able to tell an M3 from a 340i if it hit them.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2017, 03:15 AM   #25
TommyGuk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: GT4

I test drove the 718 and whilst the handling was incredible the engine did nothing for me.

I've since gone from an M4 to a GT4. Different cars completely but the GT4 has made me forget the M4 ever existed. It's incredible...
Appreciate 1
JTO245271.50
      12-20-2017, 06:40 AM   #26
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post

So did you feel happier driving your M3 or your 718 on the streets?

Already know the answer of which drives better.
It's tough.. I love the driving experience of my 981 but the F80 is a better street car; it's much quicker and easier to exploit around town with the low end torque. The Cayman is way down on power but the good thing about that is I can wind it out more and still be closer to legal speeds (driving a slow car fast etc.).

It's funny - I get a bit of attention in my Cayman from non-enthusiasts (thumbs up, kids pointing, etc,) but I got more attention from the occasional modded car in my F80. The fact that my F80 was Tanzanite with silver wheels made it look a bit more pedestrian in low lighting; could almost pass for an imperial blue 340 or something. I'd always have 335/340s trying to race me though

Around my area, BMW, Audi and Merc are pretty common whereas Porsche sports cars not (plenty of Cayennes and Macans, though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGuk View Post
I test drove the 718 and whilst the handling was incredible the engine did nothing for me.

I've since gone from an M4 to a GT4. Different cars completely but the GT4 has made me forget the M4 ever existed. It's incredible...
Compared to the F6s the F4 is a little disappointing I agree, but if I could afford a GT4 right now I'd have one yesterday. I love my 981 base but it could use a little more power. I'm sure the 3.8 helps scratch that itch very well.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2017, 11:34 AM   #27
Fame Douglas
Rep
Drives: 997.2 C2S manual

I test drove the 718 S (manual), 991.2 base (manual), and 991.2 S (PDK) back to back. The Cayman had my favorite steering. The whole car was very balanced and drove well. I was not a fan of the manual trans, if I were to buy one it would be PDK. But the deal breaker was the sound. The exhaust note was boomy and droned a bit in the cabin.

IMO if you want a Cayman the 981 GTS is the sauce.

If Porsche can improve the soundtrack I’d take the 718 S over the base 991.2.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 05:31 PM   #28
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fame Douglas View Post
I test drove the 718 S (manual), 991.2 base (manual), and 991.2 S (PDK) back to back. The Cayman had my favorite steering. The whole car was very balanced and drove well. I was not a fan of the manual trans, if I were to buy one it would be PDK. But the deal breaker was the sound. The exhaust note was boomy and droned a bit in the cabin.

IMO if you want a Cayman the 981 GTS is the sauce.

If Porsche can improve the soundtrack I’d take the 718 S over the base 991.2.
The GTS is equipped with sport exhaust. You can order the base or S version with it too. Wondering if the software is somewhat adjusted to make the PSE sound better with the GTS? Otherwise I've heard some report the PSE is not worth the extra $2900 upgrade on base or S, as it just makes it a little louder and subjectively better, i.e. money better spend elsewhere. I haven't heard either so I appreciate your response here. I'm going to bet it's a sw change?