GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

08-30-2017, 11:18 PM   #1
joesmithf1
Rep
Drives: G35

M4 vs Corvette Grand Sport

Hi guys,

Newbie here. I am on the fence on picking either the M4 or the Corvette Grand Sport. I test drove both over the weekend and love them both. However, since i will be buying(instead of leasing), and will keep it for at least 7 or 8 years, the most important thing to me is reliability and maintenance cost.

I know this is a m4 blog, but hopefully you guys can give an honest opinion. The question i have are:

1. Which car is more reliable?
2. Which cost less to maintain(oil change, brake/rotor change, etc.)

thanks!
Joe
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 11:30 PM   #2
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Since you test drive both of them I am sure you are very well aware that they are significantly different cars. The corvette, much like my 16 Camaro SS is much more raw than the M4. This can be quite tiring IMHO and does not have the versatility of the M4. Basically the M4 is more than one type of car. If you want that rawness for the next 7-8 years than the Grand Sport is a phenomenal car. But like I said since you rest drove them I am sure you know this already.

In terms of reliability I would say the Corvette. I am not saying that because the M4 is unreliable, but more so that the cost of maintenance on American sports cars tends to be, on average, much less than German ones. Not to mention changing out big money parts down the line are much cheaper. For example, crate LT1 Engine is roughly $10-20k cheaper than a frat S55 (if you can get one).

Also, another thing you need to consider is whether you will Track the car. If not, the M4 is more than enough and will be very very reliable, fun, and versatile. The Grand Sport is the car you want if you are going to Track a lot.

HOWEVER, with all that being said the biggest money pit with the corvette will be tires. The torque of that LT1 with the my Camaro and the GS means that I burn through tires quicker than I have with any car I have ever owned. The M4 can be just as bad, but it is really bad on the chevys.

I honestly think you cannot go wrong with either. But you just have to think, do I want an all purpose car or a raw track car to drive everyday.

All that being said, it is kind of wash cost of ownership wise.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 4
Daddeo30.50
JTO245246.50
      08-31-2017, 01:13 AM   #3
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

I don't think there is much difference in cost to own over the warranty period. Corvette will eat expensive tires quickly. But the N/A pushrod engine seems like it has less to go wrong when the warranty expires.

Last edited by ClothSeats; 08-31-2017 at 01:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 01:20 AM   #4
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Since you test drive both of them I am sure you are very well aware that they are significantly different cars. The corvette, much like my 16 Camaro SS is much more raw than the M4. This can be quite tiring IMHO and does not have the versatility of the M4. Basically the M4 is more than one type of car. If you want that rawness for the next 7-8 years than the Grand Sport is a phenomenal car. But like I said since you rest drove them I am sure you know this already.
I couldn't disagree with this more. The suspension of the Camaro is more compliant than the M4 ZCP. Road noise is also less than the Corvette due to the fixed roof and more sound deadening. I did have to plug the intake sound tube but apart from that it is a very comfortable highway cruiser that I can drive all day with the exhaust in the quieter modes. The M4 is better in other ways: visibility, full leather interior, European delivery, dealership experience, etc.

As for the Grand Sport it handles better than anything at $60k. Has high road noise as one would expect from a sportscar. Despite the track performance, ride quality is acceptable; MRC is just that good and GM has been using it in performance applications since the C5 Corvette.

I don't think there is much difference in cost to own over the first 3 years.
Well then we have had completely different experiences clearly. I love my Camaro but it is loud not comfortable and I do not see how the suspension is more compliant. I have the magnetic ride control and it does not make a lick of difference in compliance. It is extremely tiring to drive. Driving an M3 or M4 ZCP has been a completely different experience for me. They are much more versatile. With my NPP and MRC my car is loud as hell either with exhaust or road noise and it is bumpy as hell. The Grand Sport will be much much more raw because it is my Camaro taken to the extreme. If we were talking about the last generation Camaro then maybe we would be on the same page. But with the most recent generation I guess we will have to strongly disagree.

At the end of the day we are literally saying the same thing about the two cars that matter here, so it seems you just wanted to nitpick my experience about a car he is not even considering and that I have had extensive seat time in. I am okay with that and my ego is not bruised. People have different experiences, that is just life. And totally reasonable people can disagree.

At the end of the day this shit is all subjective, feeling of compliance is not an objective measure but purely subjective. Which is why I said, multiple times, that I am sure he already knows what they feel like after test driving them.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 01:37 AM   #5
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well then we have had completely different experiences clearly. I love my Camaro but it is loud not comfortable and I do not see how the suspension is more compliant. I have the magnetic ride control and it does not make a lick of difference in compliance. It is extremely tiring to drive. Driving an M3 or M4 ZCP has been a completely different experience for me. They are much more versatile. With my NPP and MRC my car is loud as hell either with exhaust or road noise and it is bumpy as hell. The Grand Sport will be much much more raw because it is my Camaro taken to the extreme. If we were talking about the last generation Camaro then maybe we would be on the same page. But with the most recent generation I guess we will have to strongly disagree.

At the end of the day we are literally saying the same thing about the two cars that matter here, so it seems you just wanted to nitpick my experience about a car he is not even considering and that I have had extensive seat time in. I am okay with that and my ego is not bruised. People have different experiences, that is just life.

At the end of the day this shit is all subjective, feeling of compliance is not an objective measure but purely subjective. Which is why I said, multiple times, that I am sure he already knows what they feel like after test driving them.
If you are so dedicated to the topic then why even ramble about rawness and versatility? The OP is asking about reliability and cost of ownership. I apologize if I offended you with my difference of opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 09:16 AM   #6
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

At the end of the day we are literally saying the same thing about the two cars that matter here, so it seems you just wanted to nitpick my experience about a car he is not even considering and that I have had extensive seat time in. I am okay with that and my ego is not bruised. People have different experiences, that is just life.

If you are so dedicated to the topic then why even ramble about rawness and versatility? The OP is asking about reliability and cost of ownership. I apologize if I offended you with my difference of opinion.
Did I not say my ego is not bruised? I am not offended nor ranting. Like I said, reasonable people can disagree. I answered his question in the majority of my initial post, you just wanted to display how your opinion is superior. Good for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
I don't think there is much difference in cost to own over the warranty period. Corvette will eat expensive tires quickly. But the N/A pushrod engine seems like it has less to go wrong when the warranty expires.
The tire issue is no joke.

If it is a daily driver and you drive it even semi the way it's designed for, you are looking at 2 sets of tires a year.

That's roughly $5k annually or $416/mth just for tires alone.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2017, 12:35 PM   #8
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Did I not say my ego is not bruised? I am not offended nor ranting. Like I said, reasonable people can disagree. I answered his question in the majority of my initial post, you just wanted to display how your opinion is superior. Good for you.
I suppose I should have been more tactful with my original opening line. Yes, you did claim your ego to be unharmed but the reply said otherwise. I didn't intend to be condescending or imply my opinion was "superior" to yours but rather provide a contrasting experience from someone who has driven all three of the cars mentioned.

Regardless, the offending content has been deleted so feel free to move on.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      08-31-2017, 01:06 PM   #9
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post

If it is a daily driver and you drive it even semi the way it's designed for, you are looking at 2 sets of tires a year.

How many miles are you expecting out of a set? Isn't the average driver around 12k a year?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 01:28 PM   #10
Mikecom32
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 ZCP 6MT, '05 330xi 6MT,

Quote:

According to Tire Rack, a set of Sport Cup 2s for a Grand Sport with the Z07 package runs about $1600.

Still no joke, but certainly not $5k a year.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 02:19 PM   #11
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
How many miles are you expecting out of a set? Isn't the average driver around 12k a year?
Well, I see your in NJ, might drive less there. Here in CA, you can rack up 15K to 20K a year easily.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 02:20 PM   #12
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecom32 View Post
Prices have come down some. When I had my Z06, it was almost $2,500 with mount/balance for all 4.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 1
Mikecom32149.50
      10-02-2017, 12:51 AM   #13
sg13
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 540i XDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmithf1 View Post
Hi guys,

Newbie here. I am on the fence on picking either the M4 or the Corvette Grand Sport. I test drove both over the weekend and love them both. However, since i will be buying(instead of leasing), and will keep it for at least 7 or 8 years, the most important thing to me is reliability and maintenance cost.

I know this is a m4 blog, but hopefully you guys can give an honest opinion. The question i have are:

1. Which car is more reliable?
2. Which cost less to maintain(oil change, brake/rotor change, etc.)

thanks!
Joe
I was in same dilemma around same time last year and ended up with a grand sport. It’s not tiring or uncomfortable at all. I own an X5 and an A6. Grand sport is equally comfortable. The only minor issue is ingress or egress but it’s more for people who ride with me than myself bcos I am used to it. It drove and felt much better than M4 when I test drove the latter. I went in 4 times, wanting to like M4 but couldn’t. I didn’t find much special in that car. I didn’t test drive the grand sport but did drive the Stingray. Stingray was much better drive and grand sport was supposedly better so it was an easy choice.

If you do get grand sport get ready for thumbs up, waving hands and smiles wherever you go. It can get embarrassing if you pass in front of a school...
2022 BMW 540i XDrive MSport
2021 BMW X7 40i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 03:02 PM   #14
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

Quote:
Prices have come down some. When I had my Z06, it was almost $2,500 with mount/balance for all 4.
Tires are $1500 from tirerack +$120 for mount balance. I hope you did not buy and mount the tires at the dealer...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 06:05 PM   #15
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv.nandak View Post
Quote:
Tires are $1500 from tirerack +$120 for mount balance. I hope you did not buy and mount the tires at the dealer...
This was like 4 years ago now.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 11:46 AM   #16
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Hi, I went through 2x tire sets per year with my f80 also.

You can make tire cost higher anytime you want with the right foot.

OP, what did you end up with?

I would personally just go with mechanical breakdown insurance (e.g. Geico) and pick whichever one you want. Full warranty is great. Bmw probably will be smoother experience if you need to utilize said warranty (loaners, cushy lounges, etc)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 05:43 PM   #17
evolmotorsprt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S

I drove a Z51 C7 the other day with MRC shocks and the 8sp auto. The car is excellent. The chassis is one of the best I've felt outside of Porsche. I'd get the Corvette GS. I had the F80 for a little over a year and never really gelled with it. The Corvette talks to you through the wheel and seat in a way the F8X can't match. Also, the GS damping completely destroys the BMW EDC no matter what programming it has. For me the reason to move away from the M3 weren't the fart noises, electric steering, etc... it was how poorly the dampers were calibrated, and I didn't want to rip the EDC out of a $75k car.

Watch this and you decide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbtoXMOiqtQ&t=1s
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2017, 06:36 PM   #18
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

If you're going with a 2 seater, there are way better options than the m4 or vette.

The vette will fall apart in 2-3 years and make all kinds of noises that will drive
you nuts.

The M4 is light years more refined and better built but again... not the king of the stable
compared to everything else out there.

I would go Cayman S or base 991.2 911 or find a used 991.1 GTS or even Nissan GTR.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 10:05 PM   #19
Jeffe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

I've owned both. I would go Grand Sport over and over again if I had the choice. The ride is much more compliant, it drives well in both everyday and weekend situations, and I have more fun in the GS.

Fit and finish won't be as good, but go in knowing that and you'll be fine. It's a blast to drive and realistically I would assume it'd be cheaper to maintain and own.

Previous:
2018 Mini Cooper S (F56) (grey/black)6MT
2015 NC Miata club PRHT 6MT
2007 911 Carrera 2 (black/tan) 6MT
2017 Grand Sport (blue/white/red) 7MT
2015 BMW M4 (BSM/SS) 6MT
2011 C63 AMG (black/black) 7A
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 10:34 PM   #20
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
If you're going with a 2 seater, there are way better options than the m4 or vette.

The vette will fall apart in 2-3 years and make all kinds of noises that will drive
you nuts.

The M4 is light years more refined and better built but again... not the king of the stable
compared to everything else out there.

I would go Cayman S or base 991.2 911 or find a used 991.1 GTS or even Nissan GTR.
M4 isn't a 2 seater. Just saying.

It can drive around 4 adults in relative comfort
Fit at least 4 golf bags in the truck with the seats folded
Hit the track if need be
Be docile on the daily commute if desired

Sorry. The Cayman, 911, and Vette can not do all of those things. Hence why some choose the M4 with Farts and all over those other rides.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 10:24 AM   #21
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
you nuts.
I am not sure where this stigma comes from, it's not true. Sure, the M3/M4 have slightly better build quality - but GM has closed the gap considerably with the C7. Also, the vette comes with a 5 year/ 100k power train warranty.

To answer OP's question, if you get a vette - get the MT (and never go into eco mode) and you are golden. The whole power train will basically be bulletproof. Also, i think you get 5 free oil changes with the vette - although you won't have free maintenance like the F82. Outside of the free BMW maintenance window - the vette will probably be considerably cheaper to maintain. You will be servicing it at a Chevy dealer after all... but don't worry though, they usually have a "corvette guy" - so you don't have to worry about a high school kid handling your car.

Last edited by shiv.nandak; 11-02-2017 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0