GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

Closed Thread

12-15-2017, 04:06 AM   #1
Chako
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

S55 vs N55 Engine

Hello all,

With the S55 engine all but confirmed for an upcoming M2 variant (many VINs with ‘M2 Competition’ designation equipped with S55 engine being found), as current owners of S55 powered vehicles, do you think the N55 or S55 engine is better?

The prevailing opinion from the M2 section seems to be that the N55 is better, especially relating to the M2. Common arguments over there are:
-The N55 sounds better than the S55
-The N55 spools faster and is therefore better for street use

I may be biased, but I believe that the S55 (sound aside) would be a great addition for the M2, and is a major component that could help turn the M2 from a good car into a modern classic. I believe that the classic M car ‘feeling’ pulls hard all the way to redline, making you want to hold onto every gear. This would be great for an M2 sized car imo.

Would love to hear your thoughts over on the thread I mentioned: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1447312&page=3
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 06:58 AM   #2
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
The superiority of the N55 is sporadic, not prevailing over on the M2 boards. The majority of people speaking 'objectively', suggest the S55 is the better overall engine, myself included. Yes, the N55 produces better engine and exhaust sounds, but that's it. The S55 probably spools faster given its twin turbo setup, one turbo for lower rpm, one for higher and/or combination of both. I upgraded my turbo (bigger compressor) for redline fun, all the while keeping lag at a minimum. For street use and moderate HP/TQ gains, the M2 specific N55 is just fine. That said, I can't wait for folks to start upgrading their S55 M2 to 500+ WHP levels and taking down 4-ringed hairdresser coupes at the strip.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread