GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

05-25-2016, 11:27 AM   #1
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

idrive screen rattle

Does anyone else get a faint rattle from the idrive screen?

If I am driving on an uneven surface I get the most irritating noise coming from the screen. It was at a dealer for the whole of last week only for them to advise....get this....'its a characteristic of the car'

I wont let it get the better of me and am planning on going back to the dealer I purchased it from (Milton Keynes) who sound a bit more understanding. I will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #2
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB London

If I am driving on an uneven surface I get the most irritating noise coming from the screen. It was at a dealer for the whole of last week only for them to advise....get this....'its a characteristic of the car'

I wont let it get the better of me and am planning on going back to the dealer I purchased it from (Milton Keynes) who sound a bit more understanding. I will keep you posted.
Idrive doesn't rattle on mine but just about everything else does
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #3
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Had mine for 2 years and no idrive rattle, indeed no rattles and only the door seal squeak which was easily cured.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 02:42 PM   #4
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Are you sure? I say this as often rattles are difficult to isolate, does it stop if you hold it etc...

I once had loads of rattles in my old M5 speakers/door pillars/seats you name it, turned out to be all the little bits of stuff you collect in the car over time resonating through them, a total clear out and vacuum and they were gone.

I'd advise anyone suffering from rattles to try that first.
      05-26-2016, 06:37 PM   #5
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Mine already rattles - just put my foot down and can't hear it.....
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 07:10 PM   #6
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M$4 F82

There is thread with DIY how and what to do for that and other rattle noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 03:46 AM   #7
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Are you sure? I say this as often rattles are difficult to isolate, does it stop if you hold it etc...

I once had loads of rattles in my old M5 speakers/door pillars/seats you name it, turned out to be all the little bits of stuff you collect in the car over time resonating through them, a total clear out and vacuum and they were gone.

I'd advise anyone suffering from rattles to try that first.
Yes, if I grip the screen firmly it will stop. its only a slight noise but I am tuned into it all the time.

I wont let it get the better of me
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 04:29 AM   #8
Ade_7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB London View Post

I would always politely remind them that it did not do it when you first got the car. Therefore something has obviously come loose etc and should be corrected.

My dealer knows me well now and knows that I won't accept that kind of excuse. When I took my 330d in because it started to knock from the front right of the car when going around a bumpy left turn the tech who originally checked everything and told the service guy it was ok, they can do that sometimes, the service guy didn't even bother to call and try to pass that on to me, just told the tech that isn't going to be accepted please sort it out! Changed the steering rack and all good
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 04:11 PM   #9
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Yeah, mine too.... Not the screen but just about everywhere else! It's bloody annoying... I never heard a peep out of my M135 but this car, the porker and the M5 are fu**ers for buzzes, rattles and squeaks!
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 11:53 PM   #10
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Yeah, mine too.... Not the screen but just about everywhere else! It's bloody annoying... I never heard a peep out of my M135 but this car, the porker and the M5 are fu**ers for buzzes, rattles and squeaks!
No rattle from mine. Although I must say I went into MK BMW once to enquirer about mperformance parts and they were the most unhelpful dealership I've ever been to. Parts/service department just didn't want to know. They were pretending to be busy rather than asking me what I was there for. Really really bad customer service. Just my impression from one visit. May have caught them on a bad day but still....