Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

10-04-2020, 12:55 PM   #89
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Oxide Grey iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Gotcha. I'm not sure I even like full screen. My wife's X3 has it and my M4 has split screen.
I initially wished it had full screen functionality, but then I started using it daily and realized that I appreciated being able to see the navigation screen side-by-side with the Spotify media info. Subjective, for sure, but I'm no longer wanting full screen mode.

FWIW, I don't experience any lag or connectivity issues with CarPlay in my M4. Engine on, Carplay auto connects wirelessly in 1-2 seconds, and I'm good to go. I don't have in-car wifi, just my phone carrier connection.

I don't have Waze, but I find Google Maps a tad more accurate than iDrive maps. Also, it's just easier to go between Google Maps and Spotify (since they're both on the same CarPlay screen) than toggling between iDrive Maps and iDrive Media using separate buttons.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2020, 02:40 PM   #90
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkenc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Gotcha. I'm not sure I even like full screen. My wife's X3 has it and my M4 has split screen.
I initially wished it had full screen functionality, but then I started using it daily and realized that I appreciated being able to see the navigation screen side-by-side with the Spotify media info. Subjective, for sure, but I'm no longer wanting full screen mode.

FWIW, I don't experience any lag or connectivity issues with CarPlay in my M4. Engine on, Carplay auto connects wirelessly in 1-2 seconds, and I'm good to go. I don't have in-car wifi, just my phone carrier connection.

I don't have Waze, but I find Google Maps a tad more accurate than iDrive maps. Also, it's just easier to go between Google Maps and Spotify (since they're both on the same CarPlay screen) than toggling between iDrive Maps and iDrive Media using separate buttons.
Yeah. I've found that it's nice to have split screen and keep the music etc etc.... on the other screen. Either way I've come to like Carplay for the most part.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2020, 08:00 PM   #91
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

I like it so far, very buggy can seems to select to view all the songs on phone, it can be better. My Toyota Prius has a decent sound system integration without the use of my phone and simple to use. CarPlay is buggy , sometimes it won't connect and you have go back into the idrive setup now and then.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 11:22 AM   #92
shadowant
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowant View Post
Hi,
Same issue with retrofitted NBT EVO version Q on my F48 - no imessage alert in CarPlay.

Any news? Does anybody flashed to version U? I-Step 20-03-540.

P.S. when entrynav2 was installed with 17-07-504 - all was OK.
Unfortunately new FW (20-03-540) has the same issue, but CarPlay activates always with incoming message. Will try to flash new version new year
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 02:23 PM   #93
lenabos
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 (F82)

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicchicken View Post
So I've been searching and reading as many posts and comments about BMW's integration of CarPlay and it seems the majority of you seem to think it's a waste of money. I've never had a car with it but from my understanding is that Apple CarPlay have the same interface and functions support regardless of manufactures. Basically it's just an extension of iOS and just projects the interface on the infotainment display. What's so bad with it? Do you hate it because of the way BMW handles CarPlay or is it that CarPlay itself is terrible? Could you clarify why you think it's a waste of money?

Also it seems as if from 2019 it's now a subscription based model but is there any other difference between pre and post 2019 in functionality?

Thanks
I had a mk7.5 Golf R with Carplay. Granted it was USB only however it was perfect. Seamless. Connected straight away every single time with no hiccups whatsoever. I also had a 16 Audi A4. Again, perfect.

The BMW Carplay on the other hand was absolute horse dung in comparison. Sometimes it would work, sometimes not. It would randomly lag, then disconnect and the refuse to connect again, all while you are driving with Waze trying to get somewhere.

Carplay itself is BRILLIANT, but the way BMW integrated it.. maybe they sabotaged it to make iDrive seem superior?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 06:22 PM   #94
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenabos View Post
I had a mk7.5 Golf R with Carplay. Granted it was USB only however it was perfect. Seamless. Connected straight away every single time with no hiccups whatsoever. I also had a 16 Audi A4. Again, perfect.

The BMW Carplay on the other hand was absolute horse dung in comparison. Sometimes it would work, sometimes not. It would randomly lag, then disconnect and the refuse to connect again, all while you are driving with Waze trying to get somewhere.

Carplay itself is BRILLIANT, but the way BMW integrated it.. maybe they sabotaged it to make iDrive seem superior?
Did you check WIFI antenna?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 01:33 PM   #95
lenabos
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 (F82)

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
Did you check WIFI antenna?
Both BMWs i drove with Carplay were factory installed. G20 3 series and G20 5 series. Idrive 7 and Idrive 6. Both equally as bad.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 09:23 AM   #96
Rokoz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f80 M3

I have ID6 that I retrofitted in my '16 and I love the full screen carplay. I've had it since late 2020 and I could count the connectivity issues I've had on one hand... surprised so many hate it
      02-09-2023, 09:35 AM   #97
jaylazy2020
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 Comp

I had a G30 before my F82 comp so I was able to offset the smaller screen by havin widescreen CarPlay.

Keeps the F series spec modern and I must helped 6 or 7 colleagues get the same from bimmer code. They all love it.

I use CarPlay for google maps, Spotify and Waze and never go near Idrive

Only thing I miss is the nav directions coming up in heads up

All in all I think CarPlay is superb
Appreciate 0