Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-30-2021, 04:56 AM   #1
wangjiuzhou
China
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 ZCP

Weird Issue about DME unlock & lock

Hi all,
My M4 was build in Jun 2019, so obviously, the DME was locked due to the ISTEP software. So I went to do a bench unlock in a local store, after that, the DME can be coding by OBD.

During those days, I changed between MHD and BM3 several times, from MHD OTS maps stage 1 to BM3 OTS stage 1 or back , every time it works.

Several months ago, my headlights went error, so I went BMW to change the lights, during that, BMW upgrade all the software of my car by the procedure. The DME maps turns back to factory.
When I thought I have to bench unlock again, I tried OBD flash, it works.

Days ago, BM3 just released a multimap, I tried, but it said the map is incompatible with my car, I used forced flash and it works. But when I tried to flash to MHD again, MHD said the rom is not support, so I used BM3 flash back to stock(and using forced flash again), and then MHD works.dddddddd

Today I just used MHD flash back to stock and try to flash OTS CS map. The process of MHD returned error, the process was interrupted. It seems that I have to do a bench unlock again

So the issue is, BMW did not upgrade the full DME software? So I can easily flash again.
And BM3 forced flash to stock also not delete the bench unlock patch.
BUT THE MHD locked my DME?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 04:51 PM   #2
terahertz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 AW

It's possible there was an update for the DME SWFL, but not the bootloader. The unlock is inside the bootloader.

BM3 customrom uses their own custom SWFL version, so MHD does not recognize it. This is probably expected.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 06:18 AM   #3
wangjiuzhou
China
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by terahertz View Post
It's possible there was an update for the DME SWFL, but not the bootloader. The unlock is inside the bootloader.

BM3 customrom uses their own custom SWFL version, so MHD does not recognize it. This is probably expected.
Emm, reasonable.

I was thinking that the first flash by MHD, it build a frame in the DME, and the map working in the frame, like a sandbox. Whatever BMW or BM3 do anything, like upgrade, is in the sandbox. But when I flash to stock by MHD, it remove the frame. So it locked.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 06:35 AM   #4
rmustafa11
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Hey guys. Any ideas as to why there is no dme com after flashing a tune? I tried multiple different ENET cables but maybe they are all trash?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 07:33 AM   #5
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmustafa11 View Post
Hey guys. Any ideas as to why there is no dme com after flashing a tune? I tried multiple different ENET cables but maybe they are all trash?
I'm sorry but you posted this same question in 5 different threads with hardly any detail. Please read through all 5 threads entirely and then provide the relevant details. You will see from reading which details are relevant (battery, cable, adapter, phone/laptop, exactly what you did, etc.)

Please pick one thread to work your problem, or start a new thread specific to yours. We need to keep your info consolidated so others can help.