EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

10-31-2023, 05:10 PM   #1
4Y_stack_acceleration
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 X3 M40i, '19 C7 Z06 7MT

MCS 2WR vs. 3WR

Have had a hard time finding old threads on this. How do I know whether 3WR is right for me, i.e. the independent fast compression adjustability? Is this mostly for handling heavy curbing or are there other benefits on mechanical grip/weight transfer/body roll? Any benefits on the street for potholes?

Tracks I go to are WGI (curbs at bus stop chicane come to mind), NJMP thunderbolt and lightning, and LRP. 10-15 days per season and pretty serious so willing to pay up to do it right unless it's overkill. The price difference between 2WR and 3WR covers the cost of a sway bar upgrade I think.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 05:57 PM   #2
jbalabas
Private
Rep
Drives: f82

essentially all suspension has a hi/lo compression and rebound settings. What you pay for is how much you can adjust those. So the 2wr has a factory pre set HSC that will probably work well for most conditions and places. An easy way(but not the most accurate)of thinking about is LSC affets the first half of the stroke or slower shaft speed movements and HSC affects the 2nd half and higher velocity shaft speeds. So most of the body roll/weight transfer should be handled by LSC. Pot holes will feel different depending on how much HSC you adjust in.
I have limited car suspension experience but have worked extensively with tuning and selling mtb and some moto. I generally default to, if you don't know if you need it you probably don't. It's just as easy for adjustments to put you into an adjustment black hole as it is to make your car feel better. LSC is far more important to general set up and feel than HSC. So yeah if you want to tinker spend the cash but I'd call it far from necessary.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2023, 06:12 PM   #3
mikerunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [9.72]
I have a set of 3WR for sale.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2023, 06:22 PM   #4
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

There is a difference in performance, however, the biggest reason to get a 3wr system is the street comfort increase.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2023, 06:57 PM   #5
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
There is a difference in performance, however, the biggest reason to get a 3wr system is the street comfort increase.
As my local shop explained, this is due to 3wr being able to deal better with high speed compression that arises when hitting pot holes etc.
Appreciate 1
mikerunt303.00
      10-31-2023, 07:11 PM   #6
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

I've run 2w and 3w, and after running 3w for the first time, I've only run 3w since.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 08:06 PM   #7
4Y_stack_acceleration
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Can you expound on the performance differences versus the 2WR?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 08:33 PM   #8
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Y_stack_acceleration View Post
Can you expound on the performance differences versus the 2WR?
Performance wise, it allows you to separate low speed and high speed compression. On a bumpy course, or a braking area that isn't in good shape (wgi before the repave, I'm looking at you!), you can soften the hsc to add compliance while retaining firm lsc characteristics.

In something like the bus stop, again at wgi, a 3wr system glides over the curb and barely upsets the car. Very handy characteristic!

With the mcs systems I've run, I receive good settings from BW directly and can modify the hsc easily if I go to a bumpy track. And on the street, hsc and lsc go to 0 of course.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2023, 09:46 PM   #9
4Y_stack_acceleration
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Performance wise, it allows you to separate low speed and high speed compression. On a bumpy course, or a braking area that isn't in good shape (wgi before the repave, I'm looking at you!), you can soften the hsc to add compliance while retaining firm lsc characteristics.

In something like the bus stop, again at wgi, a 3wr system glides over the curb and barely upsets the car. Very handy characteristic!

With the mcs systems I've run, I receive good settings from BW directly and can modify the hsc easily if I go to a bumpy track. And on the street, hsc and lsc go to 0 of course.
I can imagine gliding through the curbs at WGI bus stop shaves a lot of lap time, and the street comfort is also intriguing. NJMP Lightning has some bumps that really unsettle the car too (before and after the bowl). Thanks for explaining!
Appreciate 0