Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

View Poll Results: Did seeing the cars in person change your opinion on which car was more attractive?
Yes, I thought the M3 was more attractive until I saw the M4 in person 3 13.04%
No, I liked the M3 more before and after seeing both in person 14 60.87%
Yes, I thought the M4 was more attractive until I saw the M3 in person 2 8.70%
No, I liked the M4 more before and after seeing both in person 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

01-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #1
SF848
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Show Attendees: M3 or M4

For those that have member that have attended the show:

1. Did seeing the cars in person change your view on which car was more attractive (M3 or M4)?

2. Did either of (or both) of the cars look much better in person than in photos?

Thanks!
Retired

335iS Alpine White (ED 10.1.10) / 128i Montego Blue / Ducati 848 Dark SBK / Ducati Monster 696
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
Bimmer4John
Bimmer Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2010 Audi S4  [6.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I haven't seen them in person, but I remember that i thought the e90M3 looked as good as the e92M3 until i saw them in person at which point I was firmly on the side of the e92M3
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 01:53 AM   #3
Dawko
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: :

Garage List
  [0.00]
My view on this new M was already set since the MW spy pic appeared. After seeing both in person, I even caught myself not even eyeballin the M4 at the autoshow. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful car but not in the same league as the M3 IMO. This is the looker of this generation!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
SF848
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregD View Post
My view on this new M was already set since the MW spy pic appeared. After seeing both in person, I even caught myself not even eyeballin the M4 at the autoshow. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful car but not in the same league as the M3 IMO. This is the looker of this generation!
Great, thanks for the feedback.
Retired

335iS Alpine White (ED 10.1.10) / 128i Montego Blue / Ducati 848 Dark SBK / Ducati Monster 696
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Liked m3 before, and still liked it more in person. Both looked better in person than pics. Both cars look good
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 09:53 PM   #6
jmcphillips1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 128 Coupe

Garage List
The M3 is the bees knees
Retired: 2003 X5 4.6is
Retired: 2006 330i Post September
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #7
SF848
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the feedback
Retired

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #8
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcphillips1
The M3 is the bees knees
Definitely!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 12:09 PM   #9
Real Deal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

M3 looks amazing, the cabin feels great and a major upgrade over previous models. M4 looked very good in person...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 12:39 PM   #10
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Caveat: I have two small children, so the M4 is not practical for our family. May or may not color my view.

I went to the show thinking that the M3 was by far the better looking vehicle. I will admit that I am a huge fan of the "widebody" look afforded by flared fenders. I love the C6 (?) Audi RS6 for this reason. Those boxed fender flares are the business. Based on the pics of the M3 and M4, the M3 just looked much more aggressive to me.

After seeing the show, though, I have much more respect for the M4. It's not as butch as the M3. But it is much more muscular looking than in pics. I think in pics it looks long and somewhat narrow. The more gradual taper to the fenders hides a lot of the width. In person, though, those wide haunches are present and accounted for. There is much more width from the greenhouse than you can visualize in two dimensions. The car looks poised like a runner in the starting blocks, the hood is reaching forward like the arms, the weight is rocked back over the rear wheels. It's much like a current M6. Not nearly as nose heavy as the Z4, but it's length to width is very muscular. Looks like a very well built gymnast. It reminds me a lot of the Conti GT from the rear 3/4. In a good way.

The M3, on the other hand, is even more aggressive in person. The traditional 3 box look is much more upright and blocky than the windswept M4. But because the 4's body is already wider than the 3's, the wheels out look just looks super aggressive. It looks more like a boxer in a suit, arms slung by his sides, fists clenched, leaning forward. The front air dam is super aggressive with all it's wings, slits and slots, and it looks like it's leaning forward, poised for a fight. I've said before it reminds me of the aggressive look of the outgoing C63. Very purposeful. Leaves you no doubt as to it's intent and purpose despite the "family saloon" look. The detail work does not translate in photos as it does in person.

So I left my personal encounter with the thought that the M3 is more aggressive in person but that the M4 really does not have any justice done in 2D. If you are a fan of the E92, you owe it to yourself to see one in person before writing it off. It's easily as aggressive.

Win for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #11
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Caveat: I have two small children, so the M4 is not practical for our family. May or may not color my view.

I went to the show thinking that the M3 was by far the better looking vehicle. I will admit that I am a huge fan of the "widebody" look afforded by flared fenders. I love the C6 (?) Audi RS6 for this reason. Those boxed fender flares are the business. Based on the pics of the M3 and M4, the M3 just looked much more aggressive to me.

After seeing the show, though, I have much more respect for the M4. It's not as butch as the M3. But it is much more muscular looking than in pics. I think in pics it looks long and somewhat narrow. The more gradual taper to the fenders hides a lot of the width. In person, though, those wide haunches are present and accounted for. There is much more width from the greenhouse than you can visualize in two dimensions. The car looks poised like a runner in the starting blocks, the hood is reaching forward like the arms, the weight is rocked back over the rear wheels. It's much like a current M6. Not nearly as nose heavy as the Z4, but it's length to width is very muscular. Looks like a very well built gymnast. It reminds me a lot of the Conti GT from the rear 3/4. In a good way.

The M3, on the other hand, is even more aggressive in person. The traditional 3 box look is much more upright and blocky than the windswept M4. But because the 4's body is already wider than the 3's, the wheels out look just looks super aggressive. It looks more like a boxer in a suit, arms slung by his sides, fists clenched, leaning forward. The front air dam is super aggressive with all it's wings, slits and slots, and it looks like it's leaning forward, poised for a fight. I've said before it reminds me of the aggressive look of the outgoing C63. Very purposeful. Leaves you no doubt as to it's intent and purpose despite the "family saloon" look. The detail work does not translate in photos as it does in person.

So I left my personal encounter with the thought that the M3 is more aggressive in person but that the M4 really does not have any justice done in 2D. If you are a fan of the E92, you owe it to yourself to see one in person before writing it off. It's easily as aggressive.

Win for sure.
Nice write-up.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 01:04 PM   #12
SF848
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post

Win for sure.
both sound great. Thanks for the awesome description
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #13
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

My option isn't there. I liked both equally before and I like both equally after seeing them in person. I'm ordering the M3 simply because I need the extra rear seat room.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #14
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

M3 for me - also because kids are getting bigger - I love the look of both - but M4 ruled out purely for practical reasons...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 01:16 AM   #15
SF848
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Poll results seem to indicate that the M3 lives up to its expectations in person
Appreciate 0