proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-29-2022, 02:15 PM   #1
appa_808
Enlisted Member
4
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 2018 F82 M4 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (2)

Air Cup Setup Help

I've been doing some research on how to get the stanceparts air cup setup since I'm super low with my new lip and EMD springs combo.

So far I found that coils that work with EDC are:
  • KW V3
  • Bilstein B16

I read reviews that KW V3s have a pretty soft ride. Ideally, I'd want the Bilstein B16s but I'm not sure if they have the required linear shaped springs.

StanceParts AirCup fitment requirements

I saw another forum member was using JRZ 3ways but that's double the money.

I would be ok with EDC delete coils too if there are no coils with that linear shaped springs that retain EDC. In that case, what coils would work?

Also, has anyone ever had experience with BC Racing coils?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 02:45 PM   #2
Danlnyc88
Lieutenant
Danlnyc88's Avatar
329
Rep
473
Posts

Drives: 2020 M4 Comp, 2017 Macan Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by appa_808 View Post
I've been doing some research on how to get the stanceparts air cup setup since I'm super low with my new lip and EMD springs combo.

So far I found that coils that work with EDC are:

KW V3
Bilstein B16


I read reviews that KW V3s have a pretty soft ride. Ideally, I'd want the Bilstein B16s but I'm not sure if they have the required linear shaped springs.

StanceParts AirCup fitment requirements

I saw another forum member was using JRZ 3ways but that's double the money.

I would be ok with EDC delete coils too if there are no coils with that linear shaped springs that retain EDC. In that case, what coils would work?

Also, has anyone ever had experience with BC Racing coils?

Thanks.
Are you Korean? Just asking cause of your username lol. I had a stanceparts cup kit with kw v3.

Why do you want EDC with coilovers? Is it a deal breaker if u can't?

Also kw v3 doesn't work with EDC from my understanding. You have to code out the EDC or get a delete kit with the coils.

KW V3s are adjustable but they're defintely not as soft as those springs setup. It's a day and night difference.

Coils that don't come with linear springs like the kw v3 will need to be swapped out with swift/Eibach/etc springs. Spring rate is up to you.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 03:04 PM   #3
appa_808
Enlisted Member
4
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 2018 F82 M4 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danlnyc88 View Post
Are you Korean? Just asking cause of your username lol. I had a stanceparts cup kit with kw v3.

Why do you want EDC with coilovers? Is it a deal breaker if u can't?

Also kw v3 doesn't work with EDC from my understanding. You have to code out the EDC or get a delete kit with the coils.

KW V3s are adjustable but they're defintely not as soft as those springs setup. It's a day and night difference.

Coils that don't come with linear springs like the kw v3 will need to be swapped out with swift/Eibach/etc springs. Spring rate is up to you.

Haha I'm not Korean. It's my dog's name.

It's not really a deal breaker, but I'd like to switch between modes. But I guess I drive mostly in Sport+ anyways.

I see. I know someone who has KW V3 aircups set up and he switched out his springs several times because the ride is too soft.

What's the point in buying one set of coils over another if you're going to switch out the springs? Just curious. I'm pretty new to all this and still trying to learn.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 02:54 PM   #4
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
x.shell's Avatar
6444
Rep
5,267
Posts

Drives: ▋ ▉▉
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location:  ▆▆▆ ▆▆▆ ▆

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by appa_808 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danlnyc88 View Post
Are you Korean? Just asking cause of your username lol. I had a stanceparts cup kit with kw v3.

Why do you want EDC with coilovers? Is it a deal breaker if u can't?

Also kw v3 doesn't work with EDC from my understanding. You have to code out the EDC or get a delete kit with the coils.

KW V3s are adjustable but they're defintely not as soft as those springs setup. It's a day and night difference.

Coils that don't come with linear springs like the kw v3 will need to be swapped out with swift/Eibach/etc springs. Spring rate is up to you.

Haha I'm not Korean. It's my dog's name.

It's not really a deal breaker, but I'd like to switch between modes. But I guess I drive mostly in Sport+ anyways.

I see. I know someone who has KW V3 aircups set up and he switched out his springs several times because the ride is too soft.

What's the point in buying one set of coils over another if you're going to switch out the springs? Just curious. I'm pretty new to all this and still trying to learn.
I'm the guy with the JRZ 3-way.

You switch out springs on coil overs when you want to fine tune your set up. I've switched my springs no less than 10 times (I've lost count). I have an entire shelf of different springs in the garage. If you don't quite understand the differences of what springs and dampers do, please do a bit more research before tackling the Air Cups by yourself as you're gonna have a bad time.

Unfortunately, installing Air Cups on this car kinda requires you to be able to do it by yourself. There are little things that come up that may require a custom solution — that will in turn require you to disassemble your strut again and again. Again, if you're not 100% knowledgeable of your set up, you're gonna be extremely unhappy. If you're relying on a shop, be ready to take it back to them several times until everything is right.

To run Stanceparts Air Cups on this car, really only two things are required…

First, linear springs with a 2.25" ID. Your KW V3 springs won't work. The common choices are Eibach ERS and Hyperco as they have an extensive catalog of spring rates and length in 2.25" ID. Stanceparts make two cups sizes. 220mm and 210mm. Get the 210mm as it'll be crucial for wheel clearance.

Second, you need camber plates.

Additional notes. Bilstein B16 dampers don't like being low. So if you want to keep the dumped look, stick with the V3 and change the springs and retrofit some KW club sport Camber Plates. If you go with a different type of coil over such as the Ohlins, BC Racing, Fortune Auto, you will have another slew of problems to overcome.

Finally, I have to mention the "custom" things you will need to do to make this all work. You will need to find a way to mate the cup to the bottom of the camber plate. Every set up can be different. Also, you will have to find a way to keep the cup from spinning freely after you get everything installed. This is all after fabricating a mount to install the tank and compressor and running the lines.

Apologies for the "stream of consciousness" dump of information. I'm typing this at the beach while trying to walk my dog. Read my thread on the AirCups for detailed photos of everything you need to know to get this done.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 09:32 PM   #5
appa_808
Enlisted Member
4
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 2018 F82 M4 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
I'm the guy with the JRZ 3-way.

You switch out springs on coil overs when you want to fine tune your set up. I've switched my springs no less than 10 times (I've lost count). I have an entire shelf of different springs in the garage. If you don't quite understand the differences of what springs and dampers do, please do a bit more research before tackling the Air Cups by yourself as you're gonna have a bad time.

Unfortunately, installing Air Cups on this car kinda requires you to be able to do it by yourself. There are little things that come up that may require a custom solution — that will in turn require you to disassemble your strut again and again. Again, if you're not 100% knowledgeable of your set up, you're gonna be extremely unhappy. If you're relying on a shop, be ready to take it back to them several times until everything is right.

To run Stanceparts Air Cups on this car, really only two things are required…

First, linear springs with a 2.25" ID. Your KW V3 springs won't work. The common choices are Eibach ERS and Hyperco as they have an extensive catalog of spring rates and length in 2.25" ID. Stanceparts make two cups sizes. 220mm and 210mm. Get the 210mm as it'll be crucial for wheel clearance.

Second, you need camber plates.

Additional notes. Bilstein B16 dampers don't like being low. So if you want to keep the dumped look, stick with the V3 and change the springs and retrofit some KW club sport Camber Plates. If you go with a different type of coil over such as the Ohlins, BC Racing, Fortune Auto, you will have another slew of problems to overcome.

Finally, I have to mention the "custom" things you will need to do to make this all work. You will need to find a way to mate the cup to the bottom of the camber plate. Every set up can be different. Also, you will have to find a way to keep the cup from spinning freely after you get everything installed. This is all after fabricating a mount to install the tank and compressor and running the lines.

Apologies for the "stream of consciousness" dump of information. I'm typing this at the beach while trying to walk my dog. Read my thread on the AirCups for detailed photos of everything you need to know to get this done.
Hey, thanks for your input. I actually saw your post and it was one of the two threads I found on the forums about air cups.

I am not going to be the one installing it but I know someone who will be able to help me install it.

Would spacers help for wheel clearance in case the 210mm cups also don't work?

I am thinking about getting GC camber plate. And yeah I read that B16s are pretty high and I want to keep the low look so I think I will stick with the KW setup.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST