ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

02-17-2021, 11:28 AM   #45
dms-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Sometimes a man wants a little more luxury than sport in his car.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 10:18 PM   #46
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Personally never cared for this iteration of the C63, looks heavy, non sporty.

Very luxurious interior it looks like, if i were to go with any iteration i would go with the 6.2 L NA V8. At least that car sounds thunderous and looks so bad ass.

Is it just me or is there something weird about turbocharged V8's.

They always sound kind of muted to me, like you took a Cane Corso and neutered it, but then beefed it up. Now it's faster, stronger, but it doesn't have as much "dog" in it.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but i see no appeal in cars that don't have any particular identity no matter how great they are overall.

I assume the identity of the C63 is a GT car? Or is it a luxury sports sedan? Definitely not a full blown sports car? Is it a german muscle car? Can i drag race it? Or do i track it? If i can't track it cause it's too heavy, and i can't drag it cause it's too slow, and i can't luxury it cause the E and S class do it better, then what is this car.

I am honestly just genuinely confused, i mean no ill will, i have only stepped into a C43 amg which in my opinion was garbage and i know it's a big step down from a C63.

At least with the F8X it's a trackable luxury sports car. I know what i can expect, i won't drag race with it, i know you can abuse it on a track, and it can get you home after, it's got a good dual personality.

If i were to hop off the F8X it would have to be into a P car, they make sports cars.

Also this might be purely subjective but the the C63 has to be one of the ugliest 4 door sports cars ever, 0 aggressive lines and looks as big as an S class.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 08:46 AM   #47
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post

Very luxurious interior it looks like, if i were to go with any iteration i would go with the 6.2 L NA V8. At least that car sounds thunderous and looks so bad ass.

They always sound kind of muted to me, like you took a Cane Corso and neutered it, but then beefed it up. Now it's faster, stronger, but it doesn't have as much "dog" in it.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but i see no appeal in cars that don't have any particular identity no matter how great they are overall.

I assume the identity of the C63 is a GT car? Or is it a luxury sports sedan? Definitely not a full blown sports car? Is it a german muscle car? Can i drag race it? Or do i track it? If i can't track it cause it's too heavy, and i can't drag it cause it's too slow, and i can't luxury it cause the E and S class do it better, then what is this car.

I am honestly just genuinely confused, i mean no ill will, i have only stepped into a C43 amg which in my opinion was garbage and i know it's a big step down from a C63.

At least with the F8X it's a trackable luxury sports car. I know what i can expect, i won't drag race with it, i know you can abuse it on a track, and it can get you home after, it's got a good dual personality.

If i were to hop off the F8X it would have to be into a P car, they make sports cars.

Also this might be purely subjective but the the C63 has to be one of the ugliest 4 door sports cars ever, 0 aggressive lines and looks as big as an S class.
Ok, but how do you really feel? Handful of comments in response:

- Yes, especially coming from the S65 or M156, all turbo V8's are more of a synthetic experience. They're all unmistakably turbo vs. n/a. Sound is definitely more muted.

I do prefer this AMG turbo V8 to the current turbo V8 in the M5, X6M, etc. (whatever that engine code is). AMG gets closer to n/a experience all-around, I think.

And I really can't see preferring the S55 to the M177.

M177 in the F8X chassis, with F8X throttle calibrations would have been unreal.

- On a daily basis, it's a luxury sports sedan in the vein of (broken record) an E39 M5 with current tech, but miles ahead on objective performance and versatility.

And that includes track performance. I think the C63 S is more track capable than many F8X guys would expect or care to admit. Especially with the latest gen 9-stage traction control, performance seats, "Track Pace" tech, stock brakes are stronger than F8X in my experience.

If you were to throw the usual F8X suite of track mods at the C63 S, it's probably a pretty worthy partner for occasional DE. But believe the sedan is quite a bit more limited on wheels & tires than F80. (C63 S coupe comes with wider wheels & tires.)

I've already had a track session in a '17. I'll report back somewhere on how the '20 does in stock form. Hopefully brakes are as strong as I remember and tires last the day. I'll certainly have to pace myself...

- Looks are understated for sure. I think in person it looks relatively aggressive on the move from certain angles, but it's no F80 M3.

Appreciate 2
stein_325i25059.00
minn1914012.00
      02-18-2021, 09:16 AM   #48
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Quote:

Ok, but how do you really feel? Handful of comments in response:

- Yes, especially coming from the S65 or M156, all turbo V8's are more of a synthetic experience. They're all unmistakably turbo vs. n/a. Sound is definitely more muted.

I do prefer this AMG turbo V8 to the current turbo V8 in the M5, X6M, etc. (whatever that engine code is). AMG gets closer to n/a experience all-around, I think.

And I really can't see preferring the S55 to the M177.

M177 in the F8X chassis, with F8X throttle calibrations would have been unreal.

- On a daily basis, it's a luxury sports sedan in the vein of (broken record) an E39 M5 with current tech, but miles ahead on objective performance and versatility.

And that includes track performance. I think the C63 S is more track capable than many F8X guys would expect or care to admit. Especially with the latest gen 9-stage traction control, performance seats, "Track Pace" tech, stock brakes are stronger than F8X in my experience.

If you were to throw the usual F8X suite of track mods at the C63 S, it's probably a pretty worthy partner for occasional DE. But believe the sedan is quite a bit more limited on wheels & tires than F80. (C63 S coupe comes with wider wheels & tires.)

I've already had a track session in a '17. I'll report back somewhere on how the '20 does in stock form. Hopefully brakes are as strong as I remember and tires last the day. I'll certainly have to pace myself...

- Looks are understated for sure. I think in person it looks relatively aggressive on the move from certain angles, but it's no F80 M3.
Thanks for the write up ahah the old m5 comparison makes sense, and yes of course that V8 is better than the S55 sound.

Hell even Honda civic fart cans are on the level of the S55, not a fan of the F8X sound at all.

What i meant by track capable is the consumables aspect, i reckon from what i read it would eat brakes and tires like no ones business.

Either way maybe i am just one of those guys haha, i don't find the current M5, RS6, E63 etc. Special ahah, heck i don't find the F8X much special either. I probably just have to temper my expectations and stop being so picky.

Either way for this C63 generation i wish it just stayed NA V8 like the W204 because every time i see one of those i shit my pants, sounds like satan and looks amazing too.
Appreciate 2
FormulaMMM3662.50
minn1914012.00
      02-18-2021, 09:53 AM   #49
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the write up ahah the old m5 comparison makes sense, and yes of course that V8 is better than the S55 sound.

Hell even Honda civic fart cans are on the level of the S55, not a fan of the F8X sound at all.

What i meant by track capable is the consumables aspect, i reckon from what i read it would eat brakes and tires like no ones business.

Either way maybe i am just one of those guys haha, i don't find the current M5, RS6, E63 etc. Special ahah, heck i don't find the F8X much special either. I probably just have to temper my expectations and stop being so picky.

Either way for this C63 generation i wish it just stayed NA V8 like the W204 because every time i see one of those i shit my pants, sounds like satan and looks amazing too.
yeah, it will be proportionally harder on consumables. No way around that. But if you're doing wheels, tires, brakes, some suspension mods on both platforms, I don't know, maybe not a massive difference in practice.

I could fit these https://www.weistec.com/weistec-c63-...vers-w205.html, plus maximum track wheels & tires, pads and fluid. I think it'd be a blast, really. Lower ceiling than F8X in similar specification, but AMG counters with some other advantages -- seats, traction control, tech, superior power delivery.

Truthfully the older gen is more bark than bite. Especially on track. I never ran into a fast M156 C63, including one that was Renntech'd to the 9's. Despite the softer looks, newer gen would leave it for dead on track.

With one exception... and yeah, this is the C63 I'd have over all others to date.

Appreciate 2
stein_325i25059.00
minn1914012.00
      02-18-2021, 11:36 AM   #50
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:

A friend (grad school in Boston... foreigner who was not going hungry) had one of these. We had a friggin blast going back to back at the Glen with that monster.

I'll take my stroker E90 over it, but it's still a very special car. Respect

Edit: I'm a huge fan of these special edition cars, whether they be AMG or whatever

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 02-18-2021 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 2
minn1914012.00
FormulaMMM3662.50
      02-18-2021, 11:44 AM   #51
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
A friend (grad school in Boston... foreigner who was not going hungry) had one of these. We had a friggin blast going back to back at the Glen with that monster.

I'll take my stroker E90 over it, but it's still a very special car. Respect
Envious. Was it ready to go stock?

Red one w/ wing showed to an event years ago. Not running, just hard paddock parking. Offered to see what it would do, he declined... that was my shot.

Not sure when the deals were (if ever) but wish I could have added one. Have wanted ever since:

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 11:49 AM   #52
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Envious. Was it ready to go stock?

Red one w/ wing showed to an event years ago. Not running, just hard paddock parking. Offered to see what it would do, he declined... that was my shot.

Not sure when the deals were (if ever) but wish I could have added one. Have wanted ever since:

This one was definitely running! The kid was like 25, he was not worried about the car, consumables or his life. Showed up with TrofeoR tires if I remember correctly.
Scared the crap out of the PCA people

I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened to Merc than BMW when it comes to special models. First they are not appreciated, then years later they start increasing in value.
Appreciate 1
FormulaMMM3662.50
      02-18-2021, 11:57 AM   #53
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
This one was definitely running! The kid was like 25, he was not worried about the car, consumables or his life. Showed up with TrofeoR tires if I remember correctly.
Scared the crap out of the PCA people
Amazing...

Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11462.00