BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-01-2017, 04:17 PM   #45
CrazyWitness
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
The 2018 M550i is listed by BMW to hit 60 in 3.9 seconds which makes it faster than both the current F10 M5 and the current F8x M3. The M5 has more HP but the M550 being AWD is better able put the power to the ground. So in real world driving conditions, the M550 is probably faster but on the track at extreme speeds and high speed corning, both the M5 and M3 should reel the M550i in and win.

All in all, the M550i, priced at around the M3, does sound intriguing for those who don't track and place a high value luxury and highway cruising, but still enough performance to keep up with or exceed any M car today.
M3 can do better that 3.9
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 08:52 AM   #46
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyWitness View Post
M3 can do better that 3.9
Under the most ideal of conditions maybe. On most days on the street, with average worn tires, I think it's closer to 5secs instead of 4, mostly due to traction issues.

This is not a ding of the M3, since really 0-60 under most circumstance is not its intended function. M cars are not really built just to do 0-60... You ever only do 0-60 once on the track, for which the car was built.

The M3's advantage is being able to brake faster than a heavier 5, then carry speed through curves and then being able to punch it from curve to straight. Honestly that maneuver should probably never happen in real life on the street.

Anyways, definitely a more fun car to drive compared to any 5.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 09:16 AM   #47
gregm426
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Driving Giraffe View Post
Not quite the same, but I previously had an F10 550i M-Sport (6speed MT (!), adaptive dampers, etc.), which likely is not too dissimilar from where the M550 currently sits in the lineup. I understand that the G-series body is supposed to be much improved with respect to driving dynamics, etc. However, the F10 550i was huge, heavy, and handled like a boat around town. The TT V8 power was better on the highway, where it was effortless, than around town where, despite what they say, you still had some turbo lag. It was a lot smoother and more luxurious than the M3, with nice touches like the soft-close doors, keyless entry on all doors, and automatic trunk closure, etc. Other than that, however, it wasn't much more practical than the M3. Legroom was surprisingly tight in the F10 chassis, and the trunk was bigger than the M3s, but not so much so that I'd even really noticed (still need SUV to haul large suitcases, etc.).

If you want a sports car experience, go M3; if you want a really fast luxo-barge experience, go M550i.
Totally agree with the post here. I just turned in my 2014 550i M Sport for a 2017 M3 ZCP last week. I originally turned in my 335i M Sport for the 550i after my daughter was born. The 550i was a great (and fast) freeway cruiser, but just felt too sterile. The steering is too light, it drives like a big car, and one of my biggest pet peeves, the exhaust note was nonexistent.

Fast forward to today, and I cannot be happier with the M3. It brings back the visceral BMW experience that I missed with the 550i. The backseat is totally doable with two kids too (mine are 4 and 2). I'm sure the new m550i will improve on all my complaints about the 550i, but I'm confident saying that it will not provide the same driving experience as the M3.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2017, 08:19 PM   #48
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

My daughter is about to graduate from college, so that means I'm getting a big raise. No more tuition, no more paying her rent.

So I'm thinking about upgrading to the new M5 when it comes out.

In terms of M3 vs M550i, it's an easy decision. I'd stick with the M3.

I'd go from an M3 to an M5, but I wouldn't go from an M3 to a 5xx.
      03-02-2017, 08:47 PM   #49
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

Wonder how these things do on the highway , vs M3. Probably easily to walk away from one
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 08:51 AM   #50
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
M3 should have less depreciation when selling vs. M550i I believe. If you choose to buy instead of lease.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2017, 09:53 AM   #51
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, M3 is one of the best value keeping cars out there. 5 series loses value SOOOOOO FAAAST. Moderate mileage 2013 M5s are selling in the mid to high 40's, meaning trade-in probably in the high 30's, when they were mostly >105k new, meaning a 70k depreciation over the first 4 years!!. M3 is easier to sell private party so likely a 75k M3 can sill go for 40k in 4 years. Which is like only 50% depreciation compared to M5. M550 deprecation is probably in between these two.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 09:03 PM   #52
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Too many posts urging you to consider the M3. (And for good reasons). Let me however play the devils advocate

1. Both cars will be more capable in the handling department than either your tracking skills (which I am not aware of) or the public roads. So the question is : will you be tracking this car? If yes, how often? If not, the car will not be the limiting factor in how crazy you drive it. So the advantage that the M3 has in this department will unfortunately not be realized.

2. You are coming from a Lexus which is very boring and you are craving for a sportier car. Heed of caution here: don't over do it Extreme of any thing can have problems. The m3 is a pretty raw car (opposite of the Lexus). It is loud inside. I would personally find it difficult to be making conversations with people/kids in the back seat while driven this car. Suspension is harsh. Seats are too tight. Traction control is tricky. You may get tired of all this faster than you got tired of the numbness induced by the Lexus. The M550 will still be much sportier than your boring Lexus while not overwhelming /irritating you in the long run.

3. For whatever it is worth, the 550 is a "higher series" as perceived by normal people such as perhaps your clients. They are considered to be "luxury cars" and they indeed are.

4. The 550 being an xdrive may recover better from an emergency situation especially compared to the tail happy m3. I bring this up as you mentioned that you would be transporting your family in it.

5. The 550 will accelerate faster in a straight line in majority of the driving situations. That feeling of pull without worrying about go sideways should be addictive!

6. The 550 looks pretty awesome inside and you can load it with more features.

7. For long distance travel, you will be thankful for having got the 550 especially with the automatic cruise control.

8. The 550 is a V8. It should sound like a V8.

If you still decide to go for the M3, make sure you test drive it for at least an hour or more. My $0.02.
Appreciate 2
mc3456389.50
BigSky702687.00
      03-04-2017, 04:09 PM   #53
katit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80

If there was 6sp 550 I probably would get one instead of M3. Now driving M3 daily for 4 months I'm not so sure. I really like this car more and more. I just feel like I want to drive it more and more.

If money wasn't issue I would have 550 and P-car and drive them 50/50 depending on mood/weather
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 05:01 PM   #54
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

+1 on M cars holding value better. I bought my 550i with 50k miles for 25k used, sticker was 72k, car was 5 years old though. Similar priced e92 M3s do not plummet like that! Great buy for a used car shopper, horrible for a new car buyer..
Appreciate 1
BigSky702687.00
      03-05-2017, 08:10 AM   #55
TahoeM3
Major
Rep
Drives: F-type R, GTR, X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
+1 on M cars holding value better. I bought my 550i with 50k miles for 25k used, sticker was 72k, car was 5 years old though. Similar priced e92 M3s do not plummet like that! Great buy for a used car shopper, horrible for a new car buyer..
I don't know about that. My previous e93 M3 dropped value very quickly. It was a 2011 with an original window sticker of over $80k that I got in 2013 with 40k miles for around $50k...and when I sold it in 2016 with less than 60k miles, the value was only $26k. And M5s drop value very quickly. Surprisingly, the only recent M car with volume production (not a limited model like a GTS) that I have seen hold its value is the e70 X5M.
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 08:40 AM   #56
996ttelise
Captain
Rep
Drives: 458, GTS, Performante

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeM3 View Post
I don't know about that. My previous e93 M3 dropped value very quickly. It was a 2011 with an original window sticker of over $80k that I got in 2013 with 40k miles for around $50k...and when I sold it in 2016 with less than 60k miles, the value was only $26k. And M5s drop value very quickly. Surprisingly, the only recent M car with volume production (not a limited model like a GTS) that I have seen hold its value is the e70 X5M.
Lol, all cars that you actually put miles on are a depreciating asset so forget depreciation and buy what makes you happy if this car is going to be driven for 10k miles or more a year. If your that concerned about depreciation, lease.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #57
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep

That was due to a combination of generation change and bid-ask spread. Premium cars really lose value when a new generation comes out. Also, on my such cars, the diff between what dealers will ask vs. what they offer on trade-in could differ by 10k. They ll likely sell for something in between. So since you sold in 2016 when the new gen M3 was still just 1 year old, you got hit on both ends.

Today's M3's value in 3 years will be heavily influenced by how the next gen 3 series looks like (and engine and techs etc), which should be known by late 2018. This is true even if the next M3 likely won't be out until maybe MY 2022. This is especially true for BMW since the 3 series appears to be the vanguard of BMW design.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 09:32 AM   #58
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
Lol, all cars that you actually put miles on are a depreciating asset so forget depreciation and buy what makes you happy if this car is going to be driven for 10k miles or more a year. If your that concerned about depreciation, lease.
Well of course, and there are other factors, too, like model changes. But my point was that M cars don't really hold their values better than other cars in general.
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 01:55 PM   #59
996ttelise
Captain
Rep
Drives: 458, GTS, Performante

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeM3 View Post
Well of course, and there are other factors, too, like model changes. But my point was that M cars don't really hold their values better than other cars in general.
Yeah, I quoted your post, but was not really directed toward you or disagreeing with you.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 02:09 PM   #60
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
Yeah, I quoted your post, but was not really directed toward you or disagreeing with you.
No worries!

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 04:20 PM   #61
RyanDe680
Investor Relations
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

LOL. I didn't mention but I would be buying and not leasing.... Though given my history I should be leasing. I keep saying that with 'this car I'm keeping it a while' however I guess it depends on how you define a while.

I can see myself keeping the M for a long time.
      03-05-2017, 08:53 PM   #62
Mattjew04
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull View Post
Too many posts urging you to consider the M3. (And for good reasons). Let me however play the devils advocate

1. Both cars will be more capable in the handling department than either your tracking skills (which I am not aware of) or the public roads. So the question is : will you be tracking this car? If yes, how often? If not, the car will not be the limiting factor in how crazy you drive it. So the advantage that the M3 has in this department will unfortunately not be realized.

2. You are coming from a Lexus which is very boring and you are craving for a sportier car. Heed of caution here: don't over do it Extreme of any thing can have problems. The m3 is a pretty raw car (opposite of the Lexus). It is loud inside. I would personally find it difficult to be making conversations with people/kids in the back seat while driven this car. Suspension is harsh. Seats are too tight. Traction control is tricky. You may get tired of all this faster than you got tired of the numbness induced by the Lexus. The M550 will still be much sportier than your boring Lexus while not overwhelming /irritating you in the long run.

3. For whatever it is worth, the 550 is a "higher series" as perceived by normal people such as perhaps your clients. They are considered to be "luxury cars" and they indeed are.

4. The 550 being an xdrive may recover better from an emergency situation especially compared to the tail happy m3. I bring this up as you mentioned that you would be transporting your family in it.

5. The 550 will accelerate faster in a straight line in majority of the driving situations. That feeling of pull without worrying about go sideways should be addictive!

7. For long distance travel, you will be thankful for having got the 550 especially with the automatic cruise control.

If you still decide to go for the M3, make sure you test drive it for at least an hour or more. My $0.02.
Everything rallybull just said is accurate. I am in a similar situation, I had a 15 F80, that got T boned and is now totaled. I can either replace with a 17 and comp package, or go with a more tech advanced car in the M550. I have been going back and forth for 3 weeks, placed an order for a m550, and still am second guessing. The f80 will get away from you in heart beat, it will also give you and exhilarating driving experience every time you hit start. These are good problems to have.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 08:54 PM   #63
Mattjew04
Rep

Quote:

Everything rallybull just said is accurate. I am in a similar situation, I had a 15 F80, that got T boned and is now totaled. I can either replace with a 17 and comp package, or go with a more tech advanced car in the M550. I have been going back and forth for 3 weeks, placed an order for a m550, and still am second guessing. The f80 will get away from you in heart beat, it will also give you and exhilarating driving experience every time you hit start. These are good problems to have.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 08:55 PM   #64
Mattjew04
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattjew04 View Post
Quote:

A pic for good measure, everyone was safe even my passenger
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
AlterZgo1537.50
      03-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #65
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Glad you and your passenger made it out fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 07:08 PM   #66
AG23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 WRX 6MT/2024 M3 On Order

M3 but may change opinion after testing the m550
Appreciate 0