Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-27-2021, 10:41 AM   #1
spdrcrgtr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Heritage

Air bags or coilovers ... which is better?

Let me start off by saying I am currently running Bilstein coil-overs on my F82. They handle great and are amazing on the track, but for daily driving, they are, at times, a bit too stiff.

I've been seeing videos/reviews about air suspension handling well, even in aggressive driving and/or track conditions. Keep in mind I am not a hard-core tracker, but do like to take it to the track 1-3 times a year and a few times in the canyons.

I do NOT want to slam my car to the ground but would love to keep my car its current height (barely a gap in the rear and 1 finger in the front) and have the ability to raise it depending on the conditions (driveways/etc) and get better daily driving comfort - all without sacrificing too much in the way of handling.

Does anyone have experience switching from coilovers to airbags? Can you give me some thoughts on your experience?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 03:32 PM   #2
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

I'm going to catch some heat for this lol. Bags are for groceries
Its personal preference but bags come with added weight and hardware. I've driven both on my previous platform (S4) and couldn't tell the difference.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 1
ntg442888.50
      05-27-2021, 03:37 PM   #3
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

My biggest gripe with bags in the reliability. Everyone I know always seems to have a leak, minor or major or are replacing individual bags. Im a fan of them but not sure theyre worth the headache.
      05-27-2021, 04:29 PM   #4
spdrcrgtr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsopoulos View Post
My biggest gripe with bags in the reliability. Everyone I know always seems to have a leak, minor or major or are replacing individual bags. Im a fan of them but not sure theyre worth the headache.
Hm ... good point ... would seem like a headache to get that fixed each time. Is that brand specific?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 05:06 PM   #5
Thewum3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW m3

Funny never really had any leaks or any issues. Using a full airlift kit with height sensors. Have had several bagged cars and even have one on Hydraulics. I will say you get what you pay for. But if you plan on doing full throttle or speeding in traffic it's not the best stay with coil overs. There is a noticeable body roll and to stop it you'll be driving With max air and looking like a lifted all wheel drive.
Attached Images

05-27-2021, 05:12 PM   #6
spdrcrgtr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewum3 View Post
Funny never really had any leaks or any issues. Using a full airlift kit with height sensors. Have had several bagged cars and even have one on Hydraulics. I will say you get what you pay for. But if you plan on doing full throttle or speeding in traffic it's not the best stay with coil overs. There is a noticeable body roll and to stop it you'll be driving With max air and looking like a lifted all wheel drive.
Makes sense to have them filled for a firmer ride, but it kinda sounds like its softer than stock; is that true?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 05:18 PM   #7
Thewum3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW m3

The ride is softer then stock which is great for a nice drive. However these are not normal nice driving cars and when you get on it you definitely remember your on air.
      05-27-2021, 07:30 PM   #8
spdrcrgtr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewum3 View Post
The ride is softer then stock which is great for a nice drive. However, these are not normal nice driving cars and when you get on it you definitely remember your on air.
True ... that's kinda what I was afraid of ... super soft is nothing i want .. just softer than the bilsteins
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 08:22 PM   #9
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcrgtr View Post
Hm ... good point ... would seem like a headache to get that fixed each time. Is that brand specific?
I dont think its brand specific...I think its more installation error and cheap fittings.
      05-28-2021, 03:12 AM   #10
Rjpacman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2000 m5

I think your best bet is a good brand of coilovers with air cups on top. Best of both worlds. You can lift the front usually about 1.5 inches when it comes to driveways or speed bumps and lower again for spirited driving. And if you spring a leak, no problem just ride on the coil. Google "Stance parts air cups."
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2021, 01:30 AM   #11
MakeMuricaGreater
Second Account Already
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82M4 E92M3 E71X6M 992TurboS

Never go full on air ride/bags if you intend to use an M car for its actual purpose: being driven spiritedly.
Appreciate 1
M 4 FUN604.50
      05-29-2021, 11:08 AM   #12
spdrcrgtr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeMuricaGreater View Post
Never go full on air ride/bags if you intend to use an M car for its actual purpose: being driven spiritedly.
I'm coming to that conclusion ... oh well ... let me call my chiropractor
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 01:39 PM   #13
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

If bags were better BMW would have used it.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 06:52 PM   #14
spdrcrgtr
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, i had good road feel/handling in my previous car (MB S550)... granted that was a larger non-sports car
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 06:29 PM   #15
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Replace springs on your coilovers. Im on ohlins and have custom springs. Im positive you can change yours too.

And as a previous poster said, air cups is the best of both worlds. Something I will consider in the future.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 09:52 AM   #16
spdrcrgtr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeFelicia View Post
Replace springs on your coilovers. Im on ohlins and have custom springs. Im positive you can change yours too.

And as a previous poster said, air cups is the best of both worlds. Something I will consider in the future.
Where did you have the custom springs made?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 10:16 AM   #17
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcrgtr View Post
Where did you have the custom springs made?
Via Swift springs. They have a range of different springs at different rates too
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 08:12 PM   #18
mason.m4_
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 BMW

I have gone from H&R lowering springs to KW V3 coilovers to a full Airlift 3P kit now to Broadway Suspension coilovers. What I would tell you is if you life in an area where the roads are complete garbage then get backs but the draw backs will be tons of body roll even on the stiffest of settings and depending on climate more of a headache. Bags are just another thing to add on to the maintenance list but they are fun and cool get lots of attention and clout for having them. I personally prefer coilovers they give a much better driving feel and more peace of mind knowing I don't have to worry about a line leaking or compressor failing although my old system I did have two compressors living in Colorado was always a worry of mine especially with water freezing in the lines and yes my car is garage kept. My name says f32 but i have an f82.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 08:14 PM   #19
mason.m4_
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 BMW

Also don't let the thoughts of leaks scare you it isn't hard to install nor is it hard to fix its just one of those things that becomes another task to take time away from your weekends.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 05:37 PM   #20
spdrcrgtr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mason.m4_ View Post
Also don't let the thoughts of leaks scare you it isn't hard to install nor is it hard to fix its just one of those things that becomes another task to take time away from your weekends.
Fair enough, but seems like a possible liability ... Pretty much already decided not to go the airbags route... researching an airlift kit to get me over driveways
Appreciate 0