Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

05-20-2020, 03:38 PM   #155
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernisatree View Post
There is a label on top of the headlights for wattage on each light module, i would make sure they match before just swapping all the modules over. I know the F30 euro headlights turn signal module is different but everything else the same. I have no knowledge of the F80 headlights since i sold my old ones. Or you can just check realoem to see if the parts swap over. Good luck, and when you get them working be prepared to keep wanting to drive at night to admire your investment.
I had not considered that the wattage may be different, and you’re correct that the euro turn signal modules are different part numbers. Well spotted!

Edit: the difference is in how the side markers are driven.

This is the US schematic: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...eft/1VnYxbI9F7

This is the euro schematic: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...eft/1VnZ4nMOi3

Take a look at the wiring inside the headlight specifically for the side markers and turn indicators. In the euro version, the turn signal module powers both the signals and side markers. In the US schematic, though, there is no provision for side markers to be controlled by the module. It would be item 3) in the US schematic.

For reference, my car is a February 2018 build, and the euro car is a March 2018 build. For now, I will probably err on the side of caution and order the specific modules required for the euro lights.

Last edited by FlyingLow78; 05-20-2020 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 12:03 PM   #156
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

I picked up my euro headlights this morning and ordered the turn signal modules. The latter will be here Monday (not a holiday in Italy), so I'll complete the install in the morning and proceed with coding and a test drive later in the day. I got E-sys working again last night and all looks good so far.

Although the side marker/turn signal modules have different part numbers between the US and Euro lights, they mount the same and use the same style of plug. Because the Euro lights don't even use the side marker option, I could try using my US side marker/turn signal modules on the euro lights, but the risk of smoking a very expensive light assembly for a comparatively cheap module isn't worth the gamble, especially when I know the wiring is different based on the previous post.

I performed a visual inspection of the euro lights and compared them to my US-spec lights. Some additional differences not previously noted have become apparent, but I included all differences for clarity. The housings are identical and bear all of the same markings and power ratings, except for one area on the top of the housing near the inboard corner.

US:

Euro:

Stickers:

US right:

Euro right:

US left:

Euro left:

Side markers

US. Note the presence of side marker:

Euro, with the plugged side marker socket:

Circuitry comparison

US, right outboard high beam. Note the number of reflector facets:

Euro, right outboard high beam. Note the coarser reflector facets (previously identified in this thread):

US, Left outboard high beam:

Euro, left outboard high beam (note the extra circuitry previously identified in this thread):

Upper reflector/low beam area:

US, right outboard low beam. Note the aluminum plate riveted behind the paddle to allow light to be thrown only toward the reflector:

Euro, right outboard low beam. Note the completely uncovered paddle circuitry, allowing more freedom to control the light:

US, right inboard low beam. Again with the riveted aluminum plate covering the circuitry:

Euro, right inboard low beam. Again with the exposed circuitry:

US, left outboard low beam:

Euro, left outboard low beam:

US, left inboard low beam:

Euro, left inboard low beam:

Last edited by FlyingLow78; 06-10-2020 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: Corrected labeling
Appreciate 5
Mr. Hankey1031.50
F82///M78.00
A6bullet337.00
M4theWIN1121.50
      05-21-2020, 03:03 PM   #157
fernisatree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 S4 Avant, F80 M3, F31 328d

Wow good catch i didnt even notice the metal pieces blocking light. So i guess this is 100% certain US spec headlights can not do GFHB.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 03:19 PM   #158
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
Wow good catch i didnt even notice the metal pieces blocking light. So i guess this is 100% certain US spec headlights can not do GFHB.
Can one of our other friends in this thread check theirs to see if the aluminum plates are present on functioning GFHB headlights? I’m pretty sure they’re a DOT requirement, since I’ve seen variations on other cars designed to only send light toward a reflector.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 04:58 PM   #159
CruzM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 "Velocity Edition"

So these are the 2018 icon adaptive lights that have the plate?
2016 328i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 08:25 PM   #160
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzM3 View Post
So these are the 2018 icon adaptive lights that have the plate?
Yes. My US-spec lights on a February 2018 build have the plates.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 03:00 PM   #161
fernisatree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I found the pictures when my headlights were taken off. They are the same as yours and have the metal plate covering some of the headlight. I can post them or you can take my word for it up to you. non-related my next trick is to retrofit DAB+ in my car. FlyingLow i dunno how much longer your assignment is and or if your interested but I can keep you in the loop how that goes.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2020, 05:38 PM   #162
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
I found the pictures when my headlights were taken off. They are the same as yours and have the metal plate covering some of the headlight. I can post them or you can take my word for it up to you. non-related my next trick is to retrofit DAB+ in my car. FlyingLow i dunno how much longer your assignment is and or if your interested but I can keep you in the loop how that goes.
I trust ya, and thanks for the confirmation re: plates.

I had to google what DAB+ is, and if you’re talking about digital radio, it’s not really my thing, since I can’t stand commercials. I load all of my music in the car. I’m sure others will be interested, though, so keep us all in the loop.

My assignment list came out a few days ago and there’s a 90% chance I’m going back to Korea, but a 10% chance I could end up in Germany.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 05:49 AM   #163
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
Can one of our other friends in this thread check theirs to see if the aluminum plates are present on functioning GFHB headlights? I’m pretty sure they’re a DOT requirement, since I’ve seen variations on other cars designed to only send light toward a reflector.
CanAutM3 Do your lights have the metal plate covering the circuitry in front of the upper reflector?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 06:23 AM   #164
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
CanAutM3 Do your lights have the metal plate covering the circuitry in front of the upper reflector?
I'll go have a look.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 12:58 PM   #165
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I just checked. Indeed, my 4 low beams have the blanking plate.

Thank you very much for sharing all this info. It clearly shows that the Euro headlights are significantly different than the North American ones.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2020, 03:55 PM   #166
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I just checked. Indeed, my 4 low beams have the blanking plate.

Thank you very much for sharing all this info. It clearly shows that the Euro headlights are significantly different than the North American ones.
Four low beams? Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but you also had functional GFHB, so perhaps it’s not terribly critical that the plates are there if the circuitry is as well. Part of me thinks that the North American market got plates on the upper half simply to hide the circuitry in case someone was ogling the headlights up close. They do make it look cleaner from the outside.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 10:53 PM   #167
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Four low beams? Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but you also had functional GFHB, so perhaps it’s not terribly critical that the plates are there if the circuitry is as well. Part of me thinks that the North American market got plates on the upper half simply to hide the circuitry in case someone was ogling the headlights up close. They do make it look cleaner from the outside.
Aren't the top half of each headlight low beams only, and the bottom half high beams?

Yes, my GFHB seem to work decently fine. The high beams are powered by the bottom half of each headlight and therefore not affected by the metal plates on the top half.

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 12:57 AM   #168
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Aren't the top half of each headlight low beams only, and the bottom half high beams?

Yes, my GFHB seem to work decently fine. The high beams are powered by the bottom half of each headlight and therefore not affected by the metal plates on the top half.
I had assumed the headlights operated as outer pair = high beam and inner pair = low beam. Although, it makes sense that the lower reflectors are different between the regions to account for the variations in high beam programming, and the low beams are all the same. This lends additional credence to the theory that the aluminum plates are just for aesthetics and do not affect the high beam performance.

I’ll add a camera to the front bumper to try to capture what the lights are doing if I’m successful testing the lights tonight.

Edit: if I had paid more attention to the attached image, I would have known that the high beams were located in the lower half.
Attached Images

Last edited by FlyingLow78; 05-25-2020 at 01:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 08:24 AM   #169
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

UPDATE

The headlight test is a go! Thanks to pmooiweer for his cheat code.

It doesn't get dark here until about 2200, so I may not upload the video until Monday.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      05-25-2020, 02:16 PM   #170
fernisatree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

FlyingLow78 did you end up buying all new modules for the headlights or just the turn signal? Also i ended up retrofitting the euro headunit, works great for DAB but i lost SiriusXm for when i go back home. So just gotta swap back when I leave here.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 03:43 PM   #171
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
FlyingLow78 did you end up buying all new modules for the headlights or just the turn signal? Also i ended up retrofitting the euro headunit, works great for DAB but i lost SiriusXm for when i go back home. So just gotta swap back when I leave here.
I only bought the turn signal modules. Otherwise it would have been another $1800

Congrats on the successful DAB retrofit! Does it sound any better?

I just finished the test and everything worked as it should. I might need to tweak the aim left-right a bit, but otherwise it worked as expected. I had a defined tunnel around cars I followed and the left headlight did a good job avoiding blinding any oncoming traffic. I never got flashed. Video tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 02:57 AM   #172
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
[SIZE="5"]UPDATE[/SIZE]

The headlight test is a go! Thanks to pmooiweer for his cheat code.

It doesn't get dark here until about 2200, so I may not upload the video until Monday.

I would love to see a video of them in action.

Please share
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2020, 11:19 PM   #173
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

My internet has been crap the past few days, but I finally got the video uploaded.

At 2:43, I was a little dismayed that the lights never tried to develop a tunnel for the oncoming car a long way off. It appears that visually complicated areas result in a “safe mode” of sorts, where the high beams will stay limited until things settle down.

For the autostrada, the reflectors wreak havoc on the system’s performance, which is a shame, because that’s where I’d like to use it most.

Last edited by FlyingLow78; 05-28-2020 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 4
Poochie9104.50
CruzM3284.00
CanAutM321121.00
Mr. Hankey1031.50
      05-29-2020, 02:11 AM   #174
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
My internet has been crap the past few days, but I finally got the video uploaded.

At 2:43, I was a little dismayed that the lights never tried to develop a tunnel for the oncoming car a long way off. It appears that visually complicated areas result in a "safe mode" of sorts, where the high beams will stay limited until things settle down.
That's not a defect in operation, that's how mines works sometimes (Euro-spec Xenons); the feature is not without its own flaws and limitations..

I only reserve usage of this feature when I'm traveling on some long, winding country roads and I'm certain there are little to no cars around because I don't fully trust it to function to perfection.

On paper, a cool feature, nonetheless but in practice, I could take it or leave it, especially living in a well lit city, where the feature is moot.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 07:59 PM   #175
F82///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M4

Quote:
Those plates for NA spec could be to dispense some vertical illumination for overhead signs. Long time ago I think I've seen explanation how NA market requires low beam to illuminate those while in Europe all lighting goes down on to the road.
Apparently back when they made current laws, Europe required all overhead signs to have their own lighting or to be highly reflective while North America wasn't that strict and decided that vehicles had to illuminate them.

I might be wrong, it's just whenever I'm driving in light fog,drizzle or snow flurries in Canada or US, most of the incoming traffic projects straight vertical beam shooting high up in the sky. I don't remember seeing that while driving in Europe. It's mostly visible while driving in dark areas without street lights.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2020, 03:10 PM   #176
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

I wonder if I can get this coded? I have a 2017 build date for a 2018 model year for my F83.

I also have the adaptive headlight with all the bells and whistles. Anyone in the NJ/NY area code this since it a software and not hardware based on what I've read so far?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0