Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-22-2024, 07:25 PM   #1
Full_of_fit
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Question about 200 Cell Downpipes

First of i would like to thank you for your time and helping me making an informed decision. I tried ARM catted downpipe's but even after sending the first downpipe back do to the downpipe hitting the trans bolt, please correct if I am wrong.
After much thought and budgeting I personally, just my opinion, I have narrowed down my choices the the following brands:

-Wagner Tuning EU6 sounds interesting but even after reading the product information I have no idea, why EU6 is a big selling point that they stress.

-Agency Power, although I have to admit, I have not heard any reviews one way or another.

-Evolution Racewerks downpipes that seem to have had good reviews in the past but nothing recently.

-AA Gesi Catted downpipes are definitely interesting but I have only seen 1 video which was not very helpful

My question is for people with personnel experience with these on downpipes on their car, not hear say.

I will be mating this to my Valvetronic Designs full exhaust.

I have also seen the debate about the bents in the downpipe, any this design being better since this is what BMW produced on the factory downpipes.

Last question I promise, if 3 of the 4 have 200 cell catted downpipes, what makes them sound different? Placements of the cats? Materials used in production?

Thank you for your help, I want to know reviews from owners or previous owners of the downpipe, obviously sound will vary from exhaust to exhaust but what did the owners observer as after a fit and long term use of theses downpipes.

Thank you andavnce for your hlpe,
Ian
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 08:39 PM   #2
sdhasher21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

What’s your main reason for going catted?

I also had the ARM downpipes and moved to AA gesi downpipes. Mainly to reduce smell but mostly to not worry about annual smog where I live. No visual, just obd testing.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 08:44 PM   #3
Full_of_fit
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhasher21 View Post
What’s your main reason for going catted?

I also had the ARM downpipes and moved to AA gesi downpipes. Mainly to reduce smell but mostly to not worry about annual smog where I live. No visual, just obd testing.
main reason is smell. I drive my kids to different sports and the up catless version smells to much. In Texas we have emission test but all of us have “ friends ” to help out with that.
I had ARM as well fitment as crap.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 08:55 PM   #4
sdhasher21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_of_fit View Post
main reason is smell. I drive my kids to different sports and the up catless version smells to much. In Texas we have emission test but all of us have “ friends ” to help out with that.
I had ARM as well fitment as crap.
Only time I’ll smell anything is at startup if I also have the windows down. Other than that, runs just like oem. Current stage 2 for tune.

I’d imagine the eu6 cats would run similar but without the CEL guarantee.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 08:11 AM   #5
Full_of_fit
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhasher21 View Post
Only time I’ll smell anything is at startup if I also have the windows down. Other than that, runs just like oem. Current stage 2 for tune.

I’d imagine the eu6 cats would run similar but without the CEL guarantee.
I have had the ARM 200 cel downpipe, I had no issues with the smell. I misspoke and did not say I wanted a 200 cel vs Catless, which a lot of people really like, I just cannot go that route due to having my kids with me and the smell.

Mainly I wanted real world experiences and reviews from the brands I listed. Thank you for your help
Ian
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 09:50 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

if the CEL is a concern, get the Active Autowerke

If it's not, get the MAD catted. The fitment and quality are excellent for an excellent price.

The sound of the 200 CEL is louder than the 400 CEL but still considerably lower than catless and, more importantly, a lot less rasp.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
M2RAW121.00
      02-23-2024, 12:53 PM   #7
Full_of_fit
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post

If it's not, get the MAD catted. The fitment and quality are excellent for an excellent price.

The sound of the 200 CEL is louder than the 400 CEL but still considerably lower than catless and, more importantly, a lot less rasp.
The best vendor on this forum! As you can probably tell, I looked at your website for the choices that I mentioned. When I was searching down pipes on this website, I saw that at one point you had an ER downpipe yourself. Would you still recommend the other one?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 01:53 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The best vendor on this forum! As you can probably tell, I looked at your website for the choices that I mentioned. When I was searching down pipes on this website, I saw that at one point you had an ER downpipe yourself. Would you still recommend the other one?
Thank you

The ER one is so nice that It felt bad installing it under the car. It's a piece of art, handbuilt in the US, with a superb finish.

The result once it's installed is the same as any proven brand, so its not easy to recommend it to my customers when they could spend so much less for other brands.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 04:45 PM   #9
Full_of_fit
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you

The ER one is so nice that It felt bad installing it under the car. It's a piece of art, handbuilt in the US, with a superb finish.

The result once it's installed is the same as any proven brand, so its not easy to recommend it to my customers when they could spend so much less for other brands.
I do appreciate your honesty. I am just hesitant to go with other brands. I know we all paid a lot of money for our cars. Therefore, whenever we do or me personally, do an upgrade, I try to do something that is on par with the value of our cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 07:40 PM   #10
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Why not stick with stock downpipes?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 07:55 PM   #11
Full_of_fit
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_w. View Post
Why not stick with stock downpipes?
Honestly the sound. Secondly I will be getting a tune afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 09:21 AM   #12
Full_of_fit
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Order placed 👍. Thank you once again,
Ian
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 10:32 AM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ian
My pleasure, congrats

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 10:51 AM   #14
greysea
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Ian
Just curious which one you ordered. And let us know how it sounds once installed. Im stoked for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 01:06 PM   #15
Full_of_fit
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greysea View Post
Just curious which one you ordered. And let us know how it sounds once installed. Im stoked for you.
I ended up ordering the MAD one based on Mikes advice. I would go out to dinner then tell the chef how to do his job. I took Mikes advice because he is the subject matter expert. He could have easily up sold me but he didn’t.
This is why I have always ordered from him. Yes sir will do. I have a video clips of my car with the Arm down pipes before I took them off. I wanted to see how it sounded, sounded great minus the rattle from the downpipe. Will share MAD downpipe video after it’s installed 👍
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 11:46 AM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I ended up ordering the MAD one based on Mikes advice. I would go out to dinner then tell the chef how to do his job. I took Mikes advice because he is the subject matter expert. He could have easily up sold me but he didn’t.
This is why I have always ordered from him. Yes sir will do. I have a video clips of my car with the Arm down pipes before I took them off. I wanted to see how it sounded, sounded great minus the rattle from the downpipe. Will share MAD downpipe video after it’s installed 👍
Thank you for the kind words

Looking forward to your feedback once the new downpipes are installed

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 05:09 PM   #17
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Nice! Let us know how it goes
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 06:56 PM   #18
Full_of_fit
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here is a cold start video of the Mad 200 Cell dowpipe, courtesy of Mike at XPH.
I did not have time to post a driving or a rev sound yet. I will keep you informed on thoughts on sound and get some better clips. Coming from the ARM downpipe with fitment issues this downpipe install was much easier since everything had enough space. Here are 3 pics of the fitment then the video. The downpipe is paired with the Valvetronic Designs stainless steel exhaust.
Remember this is just a cold start test.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 07:00 PM   #19
Full_of_fit
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sorry guys for some reason whenever I try and upload the video it say invalid file. I’m busy but will figure it out and post sound clips. I think the best way to do that is from inside the cars so you that you can get a true idea of the sound.

Last edited by Full_of_fit; 03-03-2024 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 08:09 PM   #20
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Sorry guys for some reason whenever I try and upload the video it say invalid file. I’m busy but will figure it out and post sound clips. I think the best way to do that is from inside the cars so you that you can get a true idea of the sound.
You can throw it on youtube right from your phone. If its on youtube already just post the link.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 11:15 AM   #21
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here is a cold start video of the Mad 200 Cell dowpipe, courtesy of Mike at XPH.
I did not have time to post a driving or a rev sound yet. I will keep you informed on thoughts on sound and get some better clips. Coming from the ARM downpipe with fitment issues this downpipe install was much easier since everything had enough space. Here are 3 pics of the fitment then the video. The downpipe is paired with the Valvetronic Designs stainless steel exhaust.
Remember this is just a cold start test.
Congrats

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 04:17 PM   #22
Full_of_fit
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
You can throw it on youtube right from your phone. If its on youtube already just post the link.
Is YouTube the only way to put a video on the forums? there’s no way to post it directly from your phone or from another hosting platform?
Appreciate 0