GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-26-2024, 06:16 PM   #1
jonf49
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4 Competition

K&N filter recharge

Just ordered a filter recharger kit … cleaner and oil for the filters in the s55. It says to rinse after applying the cleaner.

Do you leave the cleaner on for a certain ammount of time before rinsing?

Was planning to just take a couple of glasses of water and pouring it over the filters to rinse.. should this be sufficient?

How long have you found it takes approximately for the filter to dry after rinsing?

I just need to get this done one evening after work because I can’t be without the car .. it’s my dd.

Any tips on spraying the red oil?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 06:29 PM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

I start off using compressed air and blow inside into the filter to remove trapped dirt and debris from outside of the filter. You’ll know when to stop. Then apply the cleaner to the inside and outside parts of the filter. Let it sit and soak in for about 15 min. Then use clean warm water to rinse the inside and outside of the filter until the cleaner is gone. Finish off with one last rinse from the inside. Let the filter naturally dry on its own. Once it’s dry, apply the oil to only the outside of the filter. Give the filter time to absorb the oil. I wait at least 10 hours or do it in the evening and let it sit overnight for 12+ hours. I usually give it a very light wipe down to remove any excess oil sitting on the surface and then reinstall the filter(s).
Appreciate 1
M_Torx328.00
      02-26-2024, 06:55 PM   #3
jonf49
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the input.

I was going to ask if i could use a hairdryer from a distance on cool to dry it after rinsing it?

Also, could I install it after oiling I and just not drive the car overnight until I have to go to work the next day?

Thx
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 07:26 PM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonf49 View Post
Thanks for the input.

I was going to ask if i could use a hairdryer from a distance on cool to dry it after rinsing it?

Also, could I install it after oiling I and just not drive the car overnight until I have to go to work the next day?

Thx
I’ve never tried using a heat source to reduce the drying time. Not sure how effective a hairdryer set on cool from a distance will help to reduce drying time. Not that I’d do this but I think you’d be safe to apply heat if the heat is <= IAT which on a hot day with heat soak would be around 110-115 F. TBH, I’ve never timed how long it takes for the filters to dry so I can’t help you estimate how much more quickly they’d dry if a heat source is used. I usually do the cleaning on one day and then come back the following day to do the reoiling step.

I don’t see a problem with reinstalling the freshly reoiled filters while you wait for the oil to be absorb. You might make a little oily mess in the engine bay while trying to reinstall them while they are coated in fresh oil.
Appreciate 1
M_Torx328.00
      03-02-2024, 10:01 AM   #5
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

Thx
You want it dry so you can apply the oil since oil and water don't exactly play together.

You can use a soft heat source like a hair dryer from distance. I prefer the sun. Most filters are using a cotton media so it's similar to throwing your wet cotton clothes in the dryer and the fibers tightening up. The best thing to do is order another set of filters that way you can swap while you clean them properly extending the life.

The only real thing to make sure of is you dont oil the filter to much to the point its dripping or just over soaked as it will get on your maf.
Appreciate 1
jonf49132.50
      04-21-2024, 08:35 PM   #6
jonf49
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
I start off using compressed air and blow inside into the filter to remove trapped dirt and debris from outside of the filter. You’ll know when to stop. Then apply the cleaner to the inside and outside parts of the filter. Let it sit and soak in for about 15 min. Then use clean warm water to rinse the inside and outside of the filter until the cleaner is gone. Finish off with one last rinse from the inside. Let the filter naturally dry on its own. Once it’s dry, apply the oil to only the outside of the filter. Give the filter time to absorb the oil. I wait at least 10 hours or do it in the evening and let it sit overnight for 12+ hours. I usually give it a very light wipe down to remove any excess oil sitting on the surface and then reinstall the filter(s).
I forgot about this post and made another one. Whoops.

The filters have been taken out, cleaned, rinsed, and are currently air drying.

The point of confusion I am having is that I am getting mixed opinions on whether to oil just the intake side of the filter or to do both the front and back. Can you and others chime in here? I plan to let the oil rest on the filters for about an hour before installing if appropriate.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 09:21 PM   #7
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Apply oil to the outside and inside of the filter?!?! Hell NO! Only oil the entire outer surface of the filter area. What purpose would oiling the inside surface of the filter be? There’s no dirt on the inside area of the filter. You don’t want oil being sucked out of the filter and into the engine air inlet.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 11:31 PM   #8
jonf49
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Apply oil to the outside and inside of the filter?!?! Hell NO! Only oil the entire outer surface of the filter area. What purpose would oiling the inside surface of the filter be? There’s no dirt on the inside area of the filter. You don’t want oil being sucked out of the filter and into the engine air inlet.
I can appreciate your point. The instruction manual states: “Allow oil to wick for approximately 20 minutes. Touch up any light areas on either side of the filter until there is a uniform red color on all areas.”

Kind of confusing, no?

When the new filter arrived it seemed oiled on both sides. Does the oil seep through to the other side from spraying the one intake side?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 12:56 AM   #9
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I can appreciate your point. The instruction manual states: “Allow oil to wick for approximately 20 minutes. Touch up any light areas on either side of the filter until there is a uniform red color on all areas.”

Kind of confusing, no?

When the new filter arrived it seemed oiled on both sides. Does the oil seep through to the other side from spraying the one intake side?
I haven’t used an oiled type of filter for quite some time but I never recall applying oil to the inside of the filter. I suppose a light application could be used as a fail safe if dirt and debris work through the filter, there’d be a secondary oiled surface to help hold on it. However, that would mean you’d have to clean the filter by running water inside out and outside in to remove dirt and debris. I’d certainly remember this if I did this in the past but I don’t. If the K&N instructions say to do it then I guess you’re fine.
Appreciate 1
jonf49132.50
      04-22-2024, 03:19 PM   #10
jonf49
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I haven’t used an oiled type of filter for quite some time but I never recall applying oil to the inside of the filter. I suppose a light application could be used as a fail safe if dirt and debris work through the filter, there’d be a secondary oiled surface to help hold on it. However, that would mean you’d have to clean the filter by running water inside out and outside in to remove dirt and debris. I’d certainly remember this if I did this in the past but I don’t. If the K&N instructions say to do it then I guess you’re fine.
Well,
I oiled the intake side and found myself having to spray more than I thought I would to get the look it had when I originally got the filters. I also gave it 20 min to wick through to the other side, and it was not reaching the other side well… a lot of white… so I ended up spraying both sides again a couple more times, and now I’m paranoid I oversprayed even though it looks red like it did on both sides like when I first got the filters. Ugh. Oh well, let’s hope it doesn’t prevent any flow?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 04:31 PM   #11
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Well,
I oiled the intake side and found myself having to spray more than I thought I would to get the look it had when I originally got the filters. I also gave it 20 min to wick through to the other side, and it was not reaching the other side well… a lot of white… so I ended up spraying both sides again a couple more times, and now I’m paranoid I oversprayed even though it looks red like it did on both sides like when I first got the filters. Ugh. Oh well, let’s hope it doesn’t prevent any flow?
The oil has a small effect on airflow through the filter. The main job of the oil is to grab onto the smaller dirt/debris and prevent it from making it to the combustion chamber. Give it a decent amount of time to air dry and then try wiping the inner surface was clean rags/paper towels. I wouldn’t worry too much about excess oil if you’ve given it a decent drying time followed up with a nice wipe down.
Appreciate 1
jonf49132.50