R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-03-2024, 01:52 PM   #1
Tkav3
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

BM3 Flash Immediate Fail

At the risk of getting screamed at to do a google search or reach out to PTF (which I already did), I’m having an issue flashing BM3. It fails immediately at 2% which I’ve read means something is blocking the flash. I’m doing it from my phone and using the BM3 app with their WiFi adapter dongle. Everything is green in the app (OBD and internet connected).

All steps have been followed - DME is confirmed unlocked (2018 prod bmw m2 comp), battery is fully charged and plugged in, seatbelt on, trunk open, headlights off, AC off etc. I’m using the latest BM3 app and the adapter is the most up to date version. I’ve checked what apps on my phone would be interfering but don’t see anything. I deleted MS defender, Authenticator and others.

When it failed I couldn’t start the car, so I flashed back to stock so I could start it. I guess next steps would be to unplug battery, plug back in and re-follow my steps but I’m hesitant to try it again now.

Anybody know what I might be doing wrong?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 08:07 AM   #2
JBM4
Private
Rep
Drives: M4CS

FYI, just because your year is 2018 doesn’t mean you can still flash with no problems.

Even if your ECU was open before a simple BMW software update let’s say after you took your car in for service is all it takes to lock it up again.

This time you will need a Bench unlock before you can flash the software.

Ask me how I know? 👀

I would contact BM3 talk with Dzanin and they will have you send them the version of software that’s on your ECU right now. Only then they will let you know if it’s doable or not.

Do not attempt to flash over and over as there is a chance it can brick your ECU.

Your next move is to contact BM3
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 03:21 PM   #3
Tkav3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM4 View Post
FYI, just because your year is 2018 doesn’t mean you can still flash with no problems.

Even if your ECU was open before a simple BMW software update let’s say after you took your car in for service is all it takes to lock it up again.

This time you will need a Bench unlock before you can flash the software.

Ask me how I know? 👀

I would contact BM3 talk with Dzanin and they will have you send them the version of software that’s on your ECU right now. Only then they will let you know if it’s doable or not.

Do not attempt to flash over and over as there is a chance it can brick your ECU.

Your next move is to contact BM3
Thanks yeah I sent BM3 a screenshot of my ECU software version. Fingers crossed that I don't need a bench unlock. Car hasn't been to a BMW dealer for the past 2 years as I didn't want them to update the software. Thought it would be fine since the bootmod website indicated "bench unlock not required" and my btld ends in .001
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 04:24 PM   #4
DeTh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Try unplugging your battery for 30-60 minutes and try again. That’s bootmods first solution for issues with connectivity iirc
      03-04-2024, 04:47 PM   #5
JBM4
Private
Rep
Drives: M4CS

Also, try using your Laptop instead of your iPhone.
I know for some reason laptop always gives the least problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 08:43 AM   #6
Tkav3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM4 View Post
Also, try using your Laptop instead of your iPhone.
I know for some reason laptop always gives the least problems.
Yes going to try the laptop once I hear back from BM3 support - I sent them a screenshot of my ECU details but they didn't say anything about whether it was good to go or not. Based on what I've read I assume I'm in the minority here, but having a tough time with support thus far. Each response I get is from someone new and they keep telling me to buy their adapter, meanwhile I've noted several times that the reason I reached out in the first place is because it failed while using their adapter lol
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 09:55 AM   #7
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M3 ZCP / '20 X3 M40i

I had to totally disconnect CarPlay and unpair my phone. Then it started working.

It’s not obvious but the car will try to connect to CarPlay during the flash.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 01:10 PM   #8
Tkav3
Rep

Just an update, was able to get the flash to work with the help of PTF support. They had me:

1. Flash car back to stock & re-lock the DME
2. Hit Flash on Stock tune
3. Force flash on the OTS map selected

All of this was done using the BM3 adapter. Not sure why the initial flash didn't work, perhaps I had an app from work on my phone that was blocking it. I hope that going forward I can just hit Flash on any OTS map or transmission flash rather than having to flash back to stock, re-lock DME and then have to hit Force Flash on a map each time. But we'll see
Appreciate 0