European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

02-09-2020, 09:24 PM   #1
E92TiAg335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 Azurite/Opal DCT

How to properly wash car after ceramic coating

Hey guys. About 3 weeks ago, i got my car paint corrected, sealed, and ceramic coated.

My detailer said he'd show me how to "properly wash my m4," but unfortunately, i work non-stop and live about an hour away.

He said there is a certain technique or i could just get some kind of spray soap, spray the car, let it soak, and use a pressure washer at the DIY car wash down the street.

Can anyone suggest that specific spray soap that i can spray, let sit, and then use the pressure washer to take off?

Thanks in advance!
      02-10-2020, 06:00 AM   #2
E92TiAg335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 Azurite/Opal DCT

Bump
      02-10-2020, 06:16 AM   #3
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

This is how I treat my ceramic coated car.
Hope this helps.
Included additional info in video description

Appreciate 3
      02-10-2020, 06:59 AM   #4
jdgamble
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

I second the two bucket method in the video. You could also go with a rinseless wash, but if the car is super dirty, you would want to pre-rinse with a hose or pressure washer. The key is to avoid touching it with a dirty mitt or towel. Coatings swirl just like paint, so you probably want to protect your investment. Autogeek forum has a lot of good info, and their retail has every product you could ever need.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 09:06 AM   #5
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

2 bucket method with a ph neutral soap. I use regular Adam's Car Shampoo in my foam cannon and in the bucket.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 02:04 PM   #6
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

When a car is that dirty i use two different solvents Before i touch it. First one that takes care of salt and dirt, then i pressure wash it from down and up. After that i use an oilbased solvent to take care of all the asphalt spots. Pressure wash from down and up again. Then i put on the foam. If you don't get rid of the asphalt spots you will scratch the car as it binds sand debrees.
I Always use a wash mit/glove to have something soft and flexible against the paint, never microfiber towels. Same procedure on the wheels. I guess you are extra careful when you have a dark coloured car that is less forgiving with scrathes and holograms.

Last edited by M 4 FUN; 02-11-2020 at 01:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 03:45 PM   #7
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I prefer a soap with pH of around 1 really cleans well.
Appreciate 1
gori25.50
      02-10-2020, 05:38 PM   #8
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Touchless car wash in the winter work? The only thing I've heard is they are quite harsh in the amount of detergents / chemicals used despite that I am assuming the fact that it's touchless will not create swirls etc.

I am assuming the 'chamois' or full service car wash places are a no..? Despite the claim that those soft foam spinning arms are ultrasoft blah blah blah would never scratch
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 08:17 PM   #9
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
Touchless car wash in the winter work? The only thing I've heard is they are quite harsh in the amount of detergents / chemicals used despite that I am assuming the fact that it's touchless will not create swirls etc.

I am assuming the 'chamois' or full service car wash places are a no..? Despite the claim that those soft foam spinning arms are ultrasoft blah blah blah would never scratch
Correct. Detergents are very strong and could bleach rubber and make stain marks on metal finishes.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 12:04 AM   #10
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by icegrill View Post
I prefer a soap with pH of around 1 really cleans well.
Are you trolling or stupid?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 02:26 AM   #11
TiggerFO
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92TiAg335i View Post
Hey guys. About 3 weeks ago, i got my car paint corrected, sealed, and ceramic coated.

My detailer said he'd show me how to "properly wash my m4," but unfortunately, i work non-stop and live about an hour away.

He said there is a certain technique or i could just get some kind of spray soap, spray the car, let it soak, and use a pressure washer at the DIY car wash down the street.

Can anyone suggest that specific spray soap that i can spray, let sit, and then use the pressure washer to take off?

Thanks in advance!
OP here is how I maintained my Gyeon Duraflex ceramic coated BMW M4 when it was in gloss finish

The products which i opted to use were:

Pre-Wash and Snow Foam - Envy Car Care Bubbly Jubbly

Shampoo - Gyeon Bathe+

Detailer - Gyeon Wet Coat and a diluted application of Gtechniq C2V3 Liquid Crystal

Tire Gloss - Zaino Z16 tire gloss

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/P5vW32Xd/20190407-104747.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/mg35pL2L/20190418-081640.jpg[/img]

Equipment used:

Buckets - AutoFinesse x2 with Chemical Guys Cyclone grid guards

Sprayer for pre-wash - Chemical Guys 50oz pump & sprayer bottle

Drying Towel - Klin Duo Large twisted drying towel

Detail towel - Microfibre Madness Deluxe Crazy Pile

Glass towel - Microfibre Madness Cloudbuster

Wheel woolly - Large Speedmaster Red Brush

Wheel woolly mitt - Dooka woolly wheel mitt

Wash Pad - Large Dooka original wash pad
Appreciate 2
quikM2371.00
      02-11-2020, 02:30 AM   #12
TiggerFO
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Of the above products and equipment, the one's which I really enjoyed working with were:

Snow Foam - Unlike previous snow foams, this does not leave a stream of foam floating down your street with passers by looking on in frustration at the mess created. It is PH Neutral and also smells pleasant. In addition it works great as a pre-wash when diluted down and applied prior to snow foam application, more bang for buck 2-in-1

Shampoo - Gyeon Bathe+ is not hugely foamy as a shampoo and this did throw me at first but having then been reassured that it is meant to be that way, i proceeded to use it and it just glided on the car with great effect. The properties in the product also help to top up the hydrophobic layer on ceramic coatings

Wash Pad - Dooka original, this is fantastic to work with and almost effortless when combined with Gyeon Bathe+. Try not to be put off by reviews that say there is risk of dropping it as it is not a mitt (glove style), as it is weighted well and absorbs the right amount of water to make it manageable

Drying Towel - Klin Duo, now this was a revelation for me, as i used the drag/swipe technique and in one pass it left the panel being worked on spotless with no need to follow up

Wheel woolly - Large Speedmaster is gentle yet great at getting into the tighter area's behind the spokes and wheel barrel. It is gentle in that it will not mark your wheel, as well as having a sturdy handle which allows you to apply reasonable pressure without damaging it

I undertook some extensive reading and research before pulling the trigger on the above items, so hope this is helpful to some of you
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2020, 02:32 AM   #13
TiggerFO
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

The results speak for itself

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/g2jTmnRN/20190418-082313.jpg[/img]
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 09:25 PM   #14
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

I use a 0 buckets method. My car is PPF and ceramic coated. The washing could not be easier.

1. Blast the car with pressure washer first
2. Foam gun, soap of choice all the same to me
3. Let us sit for few mins. Use a wheel wand and gently agitate the inside barrels and fender liners insides of exhaust tips only- my tips are always very clean so practically nothing comes out.
4. Rinse the car with pressure washer and really blast away at lower areas of the car wheel wells under carriage muffler under side skirts.
5. Blast the wheels with pressure washer the brake dust and dirt fly off. No scrubbing ever.
6.Dry the car gently with a plush microfiber drying towel that is always washed alone and put in dryer fabric softener too after each use
7.When it's dry use Brand New microfiber towel with ceramic boost or detail spray wipe on with one towel gently then buff with other brand new towel.
8. Dry the wheels and a clean microfiber drying towel only use for wheels under the hood. And engine bay. Yes I wipe down engine bay every wash.
9. Put some of that tire cleaner on not too shiny but has the UV protection. Wipe it off and outside is done.

The trick is to use new microfiber towel each time you need to use detail or ceramic booster. For me it's like every other wash pretty much.

Then with the used mf towels I wash those and use it for cleaning inside engine bay or the exhaust tips or use them for something else around the house. Never touches my car ls paint surface again.

I never use buckets never scrub the car or agitate I'm any way. I only touch the car while lubricated with ceramic or detail spray.

I never try and wash towels and use them again you won't get dirt and rocks off that towel once it touches dirt, it's over.

I buy the big microfiber towels in bulk at costco like 35 bucks.

Just my 2 cents.
Attached Images

ecutek - bend calibration pro tune - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+
Appreciate 4