proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-05-2022, 12:28 PM   #1
Bill Cool
Motorcycle racer
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 and four motorcycles

Stock ride height, F80 M3? And, AirLift-like helper air bags?

I just purchased a used, "stock except for 437M wheels" 2018 M3. While static, I notice the rear end visually appears lower than the front. Searching threads here, and some stock Google images, that appears to be largely factory...but I'd like to verify that these measurements are accurate, since the rear tires look almost tucked especially compared to the front end (photos at bottom of post).

The car is on 255/35ZR19 front and 275/35ZR19 rear.

Driver
ground to fender - 27-3/8", or ~695mm
bottom of rim to fender - 25-1/4", or ~641

Passenger front
ground to fender - 27-1/8", or ~689mm. I hope variation L to R is due to my poor tape measure skills
bottom of rim to fender - 25-1/8", or ~639

Driver rear
ground to fender - 26-1/2", or ~673
bottom of rim to fender - 23-3/4", or ~603mm

Passenger front
ground to fender - 26-1/4", or ~ 667mm. I imagine variation L to R is due to my poor tape measure skills
bottom of rim to fender - 23-3/4", or ~603mm

Secondly, I've found multiple full-replacement air suspensions, but does anyone know of a M3-compatible helper air bag kit like the AirLift 1000? I am not looking for adjustable suspension; just for a little help preventing squat while towing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 08:45 PM   #2
Sephrr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

My car is stock with suspension except it has brand new oem springs on it. Back tire has great fitment but still has good wheel gap in front. Sometimes it even looks lowered only in the rear at some angles
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 01:58 PM   #3
Bill Cool
Motorcycle racer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephrr View Post
My car is stock with suspension except it has brand new oem springs on it. Back tire has great fitment but still has good wheel gap in front. Sometimes it even looks lowered only in the rear at some angles
Thanks for the photos! Could I trouble you to please take and post similar measurements at each corner? Or at least front and rear on one side?

Also, why did you install a new stock springs, and after how many miles?

Last edited by Bill Cool; 09-06-2022 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 02:08 PM   #4
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

The rear wheel arch on F80s physically sits lower than F82s even though the ride height is the same:

JAI///M3528.00
      09-06-2022, 02:31 PM   #5
Bill Cool
Motorcycle racer
Rep

Interesting! Do you happen to have the data on what F80 ride height should be, stock, considering the wheel well location?

If these are the proper instructions for the MP HAS, and on the assumption that BMW's recommended height for MP HAS is the same as stock (though I'm not sure whether that's a safe assumption), then my front is too high and my rear is too low (pages 7-8).

If I were to assume stock ZCP height is also applicable to a regular F80 (is that true?), then my front is spot on and my rear, again, is too low.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 08:33 PM   #6
Sephrr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cool View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the photos! Could I trouble you to please take and post similar measurements at each corner? Or at least front and rear on one side?

Also, why did you install a new stock springs, and after how many miles?
I can measure tomorrow. Bmw put them on before I purchased the car since it was on lowering springs before and they put it back to factory
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2022, 03:08 PM   #7
Sephrr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Lf ground to fender ~27 3/8"
Bottom lip to fender ~25"
Lr ground to fender ~26 7/8"
Bottom lip to fender ~24 1-4"
Rr ground to fender ~26 5/8"
Bottom lip to fender 23 15/16"
Rf ground to fender ~27 3/8"
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2022, 07:27 AM   #8
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cool View Post
I just purchased a used, "stock except for 437M wheels" 2018 M3. While static, I notice the rear end visually appears lower than the front. Searching threads here, and some stock Google images, that appears to be largely factory...but I'd like to verify that these measurements are accurate, since the rear tires look almost tucked especially compared to the front end (photos at bottom of post).
This has been a thing since forever and people still don't understand it.

BMWs have a larger rear wheel arch than in the front. This makes people think it's got rake to it - meanwhile the side skirt, if you look at it, is mostly level with the ground.

If you want totally even wheel gap, you will end up with rather great positive rake which has its implications on driving dynamics and weight distribution.

Recommended ride height with MP HAS is not the same as stock.

You're also measuring ground to fender whilst the MP HAS document clearly shows that BMW measures alloy wheel bottom to fender.

Not sure what you want to tow with your car, but I can think of thousands of better solutions to your problem than installing air bags on this fine driving machine for the sake of towing shit with it.
      09-11-2022, 01:48 PM   #9
Bill Cool
Motorcycle racer
Rep

Quote:
Lf ground to fender ~27 3/8"
Lr ground to fender ~26 7/8"
Bottom lip to fender ~24 1-4"
Rr ground to fender ~26 5/8"
Bottom lip to fender 23 15/16"
Rf ground to fender ~27 3/8"
Thank you!! So my front end seems pretty accurate, passenger rear almost accurate, and driver rear off by ~ 1/2". I'll need to look into whether the stock suspension is adjustable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
This has been a thing since forever and people still don't understand it.
Please read posts, or at least my posts, more clearly before shitting on them.

Quote:
BMWs have a larger rear wheel arch than in the front. This makes people think it's got rake to it - meanwhile the side skirt, if you look at it, is mostly level with the ground.
My original post said, "...the rear end...lower than the front...appears to be largely factory..."

Quote:
If you want totally even wheel gap, you will end up with rather great positive rake which has its implications on driving dynamics and weight distribution.
My original post did not state I was seeking totally even wheel gap.

Quote:
Recommended ride height with MP HAS is not the same as stock.
Thank you (seriously) for confirming my assumption.

Quote:
You're also measuring ground to fender whilst the MP HAS document clearly shows that BMW measures alloy wheel bottom to fender.
And I also measured "bottom of rim to fender", and listed those measurements directly under ground to fender.

Quote:
Not sure what you want to tow with your car, but I can think of thousands of better solutions to your problem than installing air bags on this fine driving machine for the sake of towing shit with it.
No one on this forum is sure what I want to tow with my car; because I didn't include that in my OP. What I'm towing, and anyone's opinion of whether I should tow anything, is irrelevant. I asked whether anyone knew of a product similar to the one I am seeking. Aside: if you can think of thousands of better solutions, I am jealous of your free time or mental computing power
Appreciate 0