ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-07-2022, 10:09 PM   #111
ra2289
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2289 View Post
Since we're on the topic, thinking of changing out my J pipe and possibly getting it coated to help, even if it's small, with heat transfer/emittance. Thinking of Swain Tech. Any thoughts or familiarity with thermal coatings?
I have Swaintech lightning coating on S65 headers, it has held up pretty well
Very nice. I've come across the company before but never thought to use them until now.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 10:16 PM   #112
ra2289
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBobby Jr View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Quote:
I have a couple of those, but wondering if the jpipe was an issue.
I went with ESS charge pipes on both cars!
I have the ESS pipes myself. I would keep the J pipe stock unless it fails, which I don't believe is very likely
Since we're on the topic, thinking of changing out my J pipe and possibly getting it coated to help, even if it's small, with heat transfer/emittance. Thinking of Swain Tech. Any thoughts or familiarity with thermal coatings?
I was thinking of how swain tech aluminum charge pipes would perform. Have heard good things about their coating.
Thought about doing the coating for my Injen aluminum intake pipes but think I'll probably go with non-metal when I switch them out. I like the project gamma pipes but would prefer non-front mount and enclosed, which is another reason I want to move away from the Injens and not coat them- no lids.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 12:39 AM   #113
McBobby Jr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 240i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Quote:
I have a couple of those, but wondering if the jpipe was an issue.
I went with ESS charge pipes on both cars!
I have the ESS pipes myself. I would keep the J pipe stock unless it fails, which I don't believe is very likely
I was thinking of how swain tech aluminum charge pipes would perform. Have heard good things about their coating.
Thought about doing the coating for my Injen aluminum intake pipes but think I'll probably go with non-metal when I switch them out. I like the project gamma pipes but would prefer non-front mount and enclosed, which is another reason I want to move away from the Injens and not coat them- no lids.
Project Gamma Intakes are a great choice, but you said you want something enclosed like an OEM Airbox style intake, similar to what Dinan offers correct?
previous
'08 E90 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 08:13 AM   #114
ra2289
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

[QUOTE=McBobby Jr;28989542]
Quote:
Project Gamma Intakes are a great choice, but you said you want something enclosed like an OEM Airbox style intake, similar to what Dinan offers correct?
The Gammas do look good I agree.

Something similar yes or something with a heat shield and lid like Turner Motorsports version. Just want to get away from my open style. Not opposed to going back to modified stock either.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 01:40 PM   #115
n8dgr84
572whp Stock Turbos/DP E60 Tune by Tier1Tuning
Rep
Drives: M2C - 6MT - Flex Fuel

Has anyone here tested the kidney scoops like RPI and AFE Power?
https://x-ph.com/afe-power-magnum-fo...-scoops-m3-m4/
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 02:45 PM   #116
TheMaster1971NL
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dgr84 View Post
I have similar scopes and they work perfect. No details of gains or something but it’s different feeling! 👌🏼
They work great. 💪🏼
Appreciate 1
n8dgr84173.50
      02-22-2023, 03:34 PM   #117
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dgr84 View Post
Personally, I have a real hard time believing in the concept of a "ram air" anything on a turbocharged vehicle when it comes to performance gains, especially these little scoops. Most times a turbo is 'sucking' in more air than can be 'rammed' into it. Maybe it helps turbo efficiency to some extent or when driving at high speed under vacuum?

I know in wind tunnel tests, there is evidence that 1 to 2 psi of positive air pressure can be made in certain areas in the front of a car, which is why BMW put a hole in the hood on e9x M3 that connects to the air intake box to take advantage of any positive air pressure occurrence.

Did I have color matched scoops on my e90 m3? yes, cause it looked awesome.
Appreciate 1
n8dgr84173.50
      02-22-2023, 09:46 PM   #118
McBobby Jr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 240i xDrive

Twistm4 still out there doing testing?
previous
'08 E90 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 12:19 AM   #119
n8dgr84
572whp Stock Turbos/DP E60 Tune by Tier1Tuning
Rep
Drives: M2C - 6MT - Flex Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteF80 View Post
Personally, I have a real hard time believing in the concept of a "ram air" anything on a turbocharged vehicle when it comes to performance gains, especially these little scoops. Most times a turbo is 'sucking' in more air than can be 'rammed' into it. Maybe it helps turbo efficiency to some extent or when driving at high speed under vacuum?

I know in wind tunnel tests, there is evidence that 1 to 2 psi of positive air pressure can be made in certain areas in the front of a car, which is why BMW put a hole in the hood on e9x M3 that connects to the air intake box to take advantage of any positive air pressure occurrence.

Did I have color matched scoops on my e90 m3? yes, cause it looked awesome.
I have the handicapped M2 without the proper OEM fresh air ducting so I bought the F80 kit and also the AFE scoops. I agree it probably won't provide any positive "ramming" effect, but I think it helps with diverting fresh air into the plumbing and preventing sucking air off the radiator. A constant fresh supply can't hurt, though. Hopefully the filters don't get dirty too fast.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2023, 12:50 AM   #120
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

Put a vacuum meter on the intake side. If there is vacuum the intake side needs improving.
Appreciate 0