proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

11-16-2020, 07:42 PM   #1
kchan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

New amp from Bavsound for HK system, what's your thoughts

Have them trying to upgrade my sound, bought a set of used Bavsound stage 1 and still need to install it.

Want to get your thoughts on the new Bavsound amp:

https://www.bavsound.com/products/ba...mium-top-hi-fi

It seems to be using a Mobridge to convert the signal. No details on the installation, or detailed spec yet. It cost a bit more than what I like, was expecting low $1K.

I read through this, it seems to have two different tunes, one for stock speakers and 1 for Bavsound speakers. I am trying to see if this is a good option for the price.

The other choice is to tap the underseat woofer output, then run it to a 4 channel amp (2 channel for underseat woofer, 2 channel bridged to trunk sub). I have some old amps and Rockford Fosgate DSP that should worked.

What do you all think? I think this Bavsound option still doesn't have power for a trunk sub, it seems to have a RCA output that can be used for sub. Is the extra power on all the speakers (besides underseat woofer and trunk sub) make such a big difference?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 08:04 PM   #2
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Wow looks like $1600. I have their speakers and ghost woofers paired with JL amp and sub.

Hard pass at that price point especially since I'd only be changing the amp which powers the mids and highs.

Pretty tho.

Get a JL xd1000 5v2 and power your sub and woofers. They just dropped to $900
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 08:49 PM   #3
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

When I replaced my hifi amp in my f30 with the bimmertech amp it cost me $1k and was worth every damn penny. Having a dsp, and knowing how to tune it, is the absolute best thing you can do. I didn’t know this existed and I’m now highly considering this.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2020, 09:23 PM   #4
kchan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
Wow looks like $1600. I have their speakers and ghost woofers paired with JL amp and sub.

Hard pass at that price point especially since I'd only be changing the amp which powers the mids and highs.

Pretty tho.

Get a JL xd1000 5v2 and power your sub and woofers. They just dropped to $900
Yeh seems a bit steep, but the amp seems to have more output compare to the Hifi version (which won't work with the HK amp)..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 09:25 PM   #5
kchan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
When I replaced my hifi amp in my f30 with the bimmertech amp it cost me $1k and was worth every damn penny. Having a dsp, and knowing how to tune it, is the absolute best thing you can do. I didn’t know this existed and I’m now highly considering this.
I think this is new, Bavsound always have the amp upgrade for the hifi amp, but not the HK amp. The hifi amp (for Bavsound) is also $1K...

I am hoping there's some sales for BF... I wonder how this will be installed since it seems a bit big. Do you think this can go straight into the stock location?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 09:28 PM   #6
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
When I replaced my hifi amp in my f30 with the bimmertech amp it cost me $1k and was worth every damn penny. Having a dsp, and knowing how to tune it, is the absolute best thing you can do. I didn't know this existed and I'm now highly considering this.
I think this is new, Bavsound always have the amp upgrade for the hifi amp, but not the HK amp. The hifi amp (for Bavsound) is also $1K...

I am hoping there's some sales for BF... I wonder how this will be installed since it seems a bit big. Do you think this can go straight into the stock location?
Yes it is new as it is still in preorder.

My intent was to compare the 1k in the hifi and the 1.6k for the HK and my opinion of it being worth it. Seems a small price to pay for the ability to utilize a DSP in our cars with plug and play. I do believe if they are claiming it's a 30 minute install it has to fit in the factory spot.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 02:59 PM   #7
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
For anyone interested I checked and it'll be March before they're available
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2020, 12:40 AM   #8
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

I like the solution from Integral Audio better. $1600 is cheap for an amp and DSP. However I think Integral caters to more of the audiophile crowd and their custom arc amps and DSP look solid.

I used to run a dex-p99rs with tru billets, active 3 way and morel ultimo subs. that whole setup cost about 10 grand with custom pods on the dash for the mids. I'm pretty sure I lost a bit of hearing from that setup over the span of 10 years lol

https://integralaudio.com/soundstagedsp-ultra.html
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 2
      11-19-2020, 12:45 AM   #9
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

I have the Integral Audio DSP system and love it.

ARC Audio is a solid brand and as much as I heat up my exhaust, I have not had any issues with the amp or DSP unit overheating/clipping.

Overall unit is stealth and pretty nicely laid out.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 07:36 AM   #10
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
I like the solution from Integral Audio better. $1600 is cheap for an amp and DSP. However I think Integral caters to more of the audiophile crowd and their custom arc amps and DSP look solid.

I used to run a dex-p99rs with tru billets, active 3 way and morel ultimo subs. that whole setup cost about 10 grand with custom pods on the dash for the mids. I'm pretty sure I lost a bit of hearing from that setup over the span of 10 years lol

That looks fantastic and for what you get the price is reasonable. Does it really remove all the other speakers from the system except those shown?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 07:45 AM   #11
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

All the front drivers are replaced in addition to both under seat subs.

No rear drivers are replaced since the rear fill isn’t really contributing much (no rear shelf speakers) as they are just smaller door speakers.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 01:13 PM   #12
kchan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I missed out on the pre-release sale on the Integral Audio about 1 year ago, I recall it was $2999 and there were some BF sale with an extra 10 or 15% off. I kind of regret not going for it as I wasn't sure if I will keep my F80. Now that I think I am, actively looking to see what's better. Was really hoping to stay below $3K for everything. Went to a shop and to do it right will cost at least$6-$7K...

In my other old car (E60), I had the Rockford Fosgate 8250 with 3 Zapco DC amps and some Seas component sets, that was done below $3K but that's like 12 years ago. Just wish things are simpler to upgrade. Tru billets, I thoughts those were build like a tank
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 01:15 PM   #13
kchan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
All the front drivers are replaced in addition to both under seat subs.

No rear drivers are replaced since the rear fill isn’t really contributing much (no rear shelf speakers) as they are just smaller door speakers.
Where are you located? I saw you are in Nor Cal. If you are close by (I live in Fremont work in San Jose), definitely like to check out the system. Did you install in yourself and paid a shop to do it?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 01:24 PM   #14
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

This Bavsound amp is for the complete replacement of the HK OEM amp, not to power a trunk sub.

Quote:
Have them trying to upgrade my sound, bought a set of used Bavsound stage 1 and still need to install it.

Want to get your thoughts on the new Bavsound amp:

https://www.bavsound.com/products/ba...mium-top-hi-fi

It seems to be using a Mobridge to convert the signal. No details on the installation, or detailed spec yet. It cost a bit more than what I like, was expecting low $1K.

I read through this, it seems to have two different tunes, one for stock speakers and 1 for Bavsound speakers. I am trying to see if this is a good option for the price.

The other choice is to tap the underseat woofer output, then run it to a 4 channel amp (2 channel for underseat woofer, 2 channel bridged to trunk sub). I have some old amps and Rockford Fosgate DSP that should worked.

What do you all think? I think this Bavsound option still doesn't have power for a trunk sub, it seems to have a RCA output that can be used for sub. Is the extra power on all the speakers (besides underseat woofer and trunk sub) make such a big difference?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 01:32 PM   #15
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Where are you located? I saw you are in Nor Cal. If you are close by (I live in Fremont work in San Jose), definitely like to check out the system. Did you install in yourself and paid a shop to do it?
I’m in Roseville (Sacramento) but welcome to come check it out.
I did the install myself.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2020, 03:17 PM   #16
kchan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
This Bavsound amp is for the complete replacement of the HK OEM amp, not to power a trunk sub.
Yes I guess I should be more clear. It seems like there's no one solution that is optimal for me, well there is but $$$:

1. custom solution, at least $6-$7K, replace front sets, underseat sub, add trunk sub, new amplification for all replaced components with DSP

2. Replace all speakers with Bavsound stage 1, replace HK amp with this new Bavsound amp, replace underseat sub (either Bavsound Ghost/Jehnerts/Earthquake/Gladen/etc). If I want a trunk sub, I will need to add separate amp, and not 100% sure if there's RCA output from new Bavsound amp for dedicated trunk sub. Cost is around $1.6K (amp) + $550 (bavsound stage 1 used) + $300-$500 (underseat woofers depending on which one) + $300 (icebox from Ebay and sub, I have some old amps to use)

3. Keep original HK amp, only add new amp for underseat sub, and dedicated trunk sub. Still change out all speakers to Bavsound stage 1 ($550). $300-$500 (underseat woofers depending on which one) + $300 (icebox from Ebay and sub, I have some old amps to use for both trunk sub and underseat woofers).

Option 3 will be the cheapest option, really, don't know how much will the $1600 buys me. Again I missed out on the Integral which I think seems to be a great solution... I have an old Rockford EPX that I can use to play around the sound for the underseat sub and trunk sub, but it's old stock and not sure how well this works...
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2020, 07:04 AM   #17
BMWjunkie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 Avus Blue/Sakhir full

I've had the Bavsound Stage 1 plus underseat Ghost woofers for 4 years running off the stock H/K amp. While much better than the cheap stock speakers, they need more clean power across the board, especially for crap sources like streaming. I looked through all the options listed but I didn't want a custom install with unknown complications and cost. So I just held off - until yesterday, when I saw the preorder for the Bavsound Revenant Pro amp! It's definitely pricey but the plug-n-play capability, the DSP settings preset for the Stage One speakers plus the ability to still add a trunk sub and amp (yes, I asked - it has pre-outs) made it worth it to me. So now a long wait until March for delivery!

In the meantime I'm looking at the MusicarNW custom sub box that fits over the battery, plus a JL Audio sub and mono amp for it. Crazy Christmas gifts🎄 I'm buying myself this year 🤡

Anyway, for me this setup will be very install-friendly and look pretty stock, plus not take up much space in the trunk. Too old for giant sub boxes anymore!
BMWCCA #156196 since 5/1998
Current - F80 Avus Blue/SO - ED in Nov 2016 - Bootmod3 and BSW Stage1/Ghost Subs/Amp, '13 Ferrari 458 Italia, '17 X6M (wife's!)
Past - '12 X5 35i, '13 335i EBII/Black M-Sport PPK, '10 335i M-Sport, '03 M5, '02 530ia M-Sport, '01 330i Sport 5spd, '01 540ia M-sport (RIP), '97 M3, '96 328i Sport
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 07:31 AM   #18
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'm actually warming up to the idea of this amp after some more consideration around other options to provide adequate power and tuning to the mids and highs. Since I have already added the Bavsound Stage 1/Ghost woofers plus a sub, the preamp out just cuts out my need for an LOC - no real benefit other than a cleaner install. But the fact that it's tuned for those speakers is enticing and anything with OEM plug n play is attractive to me. Might could justify the cost over other options based on what I have today.

Thankfully I have 4 months to think about it. 😆
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 03:17 PM   #19
Bluer2
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

i like the sound of my fabspeed midpipe and M performance exhaust over all these options.
Appreciate 2
      11-25-2020, 05:42 PM   #20
deebodeebo
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4 ZCP 6-spd

Quote:

Any pics of where you mounted the DSP controller?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 01:26 PM   #21
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:

Option 3 will be the cheapest option, really, don't know how much will the $1600 buys me. Again I missed out on the Integral which I think seems to be a great solution... I have an old Rockford EPX that I can use to play around the sound for the underseat sub and trunk sub, but it's old stock and not sure how well this works...
The $1600 cost of this MOST OEM amp replacement buys you 1) a MOST converter and 2) a custom-made aftermarket amp with 9ch output, more power, a line level sub output and two custom DSP profiles as a direct replacement of the OEM amp.

The MOST converter alone is between $500 (mObridge, Helix) and $750 (NavTV Zen). So this custom amp real price is as much or cheaper than Bavsound Revenant amp for the HiFi system - with more power and more output channels.

The MOST converter is what makes this custom amp a plug and play replacement, and itself the best sounding option to the OEM amp as you are completely bypassing the OEM amp digitally, straight to an aftermarket amp without LOC or analog input losses.

This method of using a MOST converter to replace the MOST OEM amp is not new, it just that this is the first company to package this solution with a custom aftermarket amp and bring it to market.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 02:50 PM   #22
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebodeebo View Post
Any pics of where you mounted the DSP controller?
The Integral Audio DSP controller?
Appreciate 0