Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-08-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
m3heaven
Major
m3heaven's Avatar
United_States
143
Rep
1,196
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT Single Hump
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (10)

Exclamation Max Camber on Stock Top Hats

Has anyone found out the maximum negative camber we can get on the stock top hats?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
gogoevo
Private First Class
United_States
38
Rep
198
Posts

Drives: 2011 Porsche 997.2 TTS
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South Dakota

iTrader: (1)

Sub
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 12:51 AM   #3
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
2717
Rep
40,855
Posts


Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

iTrader: (35)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3heaven View Post
Has anyone found out the maximum negative camber we can get on the stock top hats?
There is zero adjustment on the F8x chassis. 3 bolts and 2 offset dowels equals to no movement at all. In addition, the tower is designed in a way that the upper mount is somewhat captured.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #4
PrimeBMW
Major
PrimeBMW's Avatar
No_Country
313
Rep
1,300
Posts

Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3heaven View Post
Has anyone found out the maximum negative camber we can get on the stock top hats?
There is zero adjustment on the F8x chassis. 3 bolts and 2 offset dowels equals to no movement at all. In addition, the tower is designed in a way that the upper mount is somewhat captured.
That's silly. Your saying once the pins are removed there is no movement? I haven't followed close enough but are there camber plates on the market for either OEM or after market coilovers?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
2717
Rep
40,855
Posts


Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

iTrader: (35)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
That's silly. Your saying once the pins are removed there is no movement? I haven't followed close enough but are there camber plates on the market for either OEM or after market coilovers?
That is correct.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #6
kitw
Colonel
kitw's Avatar
410
Rep
2,992
Posts

Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
That's silly. Your saying once the pins are removed there is no movement? I haven't followed close enough but are there camber plates on the market for either OEM or after market coilovers?
There aren't pins. The strut tower bars bolt directly to our top hats. You'll need a camber plate to adjust... and the strut tower bar mounts are going to make a Dinan-style offset plate much more difficult.
__________________

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
2717
Rep
40,855
Posts


Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

iTrader: (35)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
There aren't pins. The strut tower bars bolt directly to our top hats. You'll need a camber plate to adjust... and the strut tower bar mounts are going to make a Dinan-style offset plate much more difficult.
Dinan is out of luck on this one. Camber plates using stock or sport type springs will be nearly impossible without adding significant stack height to the mount. A true camber plate is the only way to go.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #8
PrimeBMW
Major
PrimeBMW's Avatar
No_Country
313
Rep
1,300
Posts

Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Dinan is out of luck on this one. Camber plates using stock or sport type springs will be nearly impossible without adding significant stack height to the mount. A true camber plate is the only way to go.
Thats good info. So it is all or nothing. Unlike the E92 M3 where a person could just buy camber plates the new car requires coil overs + camber plates to save tires on the track/add performance. Maybe I would spec the car with passive susp. then plan on MCS singles.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #9
kitw
Colonel
kitw's Avatar
410
Rep
2,992
Posts

Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
Thats good info. So it is all or nothing. Unlike the E92 M3 where a person could just buy camber plates the new car requires coil overs + camber plates to save tires on the track/add performance. Maybe I would spec the car with passive susp. then plan on MCS singles.
No. You can buy camber plates for the stock struts as well.

Plus, the F80 stock suspension is fantastic compared to the E92.
__________________

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 08:02 AM   #10
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
251
Rep
1,726
Posts

Drives: 4 wheels
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (1)

putting in the KW HAS on our M4 now and was surprised at all the changes made to this generation M car versus all the previous.

no removable alignment pin in front
no oblong strut tower holes for mini neg camber
it requires removing about a dozen plastic fasteners and just as many nuts, plastic and rubber covers.
the passenger side strut has a bolt that is entirely covered by the chasis brace which must be unbolted (6 bolts) to gain access to it.

rear the struts are bolted in from the bottom. at least no removing of all the interior trunk panels. did that anyways but there is so many more fasteners on this car.
multilink rear lower trailing arm needs to be unbolted from subframe and wheel hub in order to get the springs out.
__________________
"It gave you amazing satisfaction, but anyone who says he loved it is either a liar or he wasn't going fast enough." - Jackie Stewart on racing at the Nurburgring
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #11
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
2717
Rep
40,855
Posts


Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

iTrader: (35)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell View Post
putting in the KW HAS on our M4 now and was surprised at all the changes made to this generation M car versus all the previous.

no removable alignment pin in front
no oblong strut tower holes for mini neg camber
it requires removing about a dozen plastic fasteners and just as many nuts, plastic and rubber covers.
the passenger side strut has a bolt that is entirely covered by the chasis brace which must be unbolted (6 bolts) to gain access to it.

rear the struts are bolted in from the bottom. at least no removing of all the interior trunk panels. did that anyways but there is so many more fasteners on this car.
multilink rear lower trailing arm needs to be unbolted from subframe and wheel hub in order to get the springs out.

Yes, the front strut top is more time consuming to get to.

The rear spring should be an easy, just remove the inner nut and bolt so you do not disturb the camber settings.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 06:35 AM   #12
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
251
Rep
1,726
Posts

Drives: 4 wheels
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Yes, the front strut top is more time consuming to get to.

The rear spring should be an easy, just remove the inner nut and bolt so you do not disturb the camber settings.
correct not the actual connection point on the wheel hub in rear. i meant unbolting the mounting point of the shock which has nothing to do with alignment. toe setting is the wheel hub knuckle.
__________________
"It gave you amazing satisfaction, but anyone who says he loved it is either a liar or he wasn't going fast enough." - Jackie Stewart on racing at the Nurburgring
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
camber, negative, stock

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST