Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-10-2024, 12:21 PM   #1
lacoa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: I8 + E36M3 + Granturismo MC

The search begins - any help is appreciated!

After owning my I8 and Granturismo MC for a few years I am ready to get back into something a little more exhilarating to drive. My E36 M3 convertible only exists for my wife to cruise around in a few times each year so I have begun searching to replace the E36, and possibly the Maserati as well, with an F83 to check both of those boxes.

With that being said I have spent the last week really researching this pretty hard as I was not yet very well versed in the F80 lineup. From what I have researched I think I am leaning toward an 18-20, with the comp pack at the very least. I am thinking I will avoid anything that has already been modified and I will go with the DCT because my wife really doesn't like driving standard and to be honest, as this transmission technology improves I find myself really not minding the non-manual vehicles as much.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated, any nuances in the packaging that I should be aware of or other packages or features I should make sure I am looking for? I am not completely sold on going 18+ so if anyone thinks it really isn't a big deal then I am open to those suggestions as well. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, I would like to purchase by April to give myself a little time to get it ready for spring!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 04:40 PM   #2
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

90% of these cars have had their DME molested. If you're looking for a 100% stock car, I would either look at cars from a certified BMW dealer OR take it for inspection to a dealer and have them run the DME scan. 18-20 MY is the best in my opinion. Good choice there and these cars have to be wrestled into submission as stock so, another good choice skipping tuned and modified cars.
      02-15-2024, 08:48 AM   #3
lacoa
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX2M4 View Post
90% of these cars have had their DME molested. If you're looking for a 100% stock car, I would either look at cars from a certified BMW dealer OR take it for inspection to a dealer and have them run the DME scan. 18-20 MY is the best in my opinion. Good choice there and these cars have to be wrestled into submission as stock so, another good choice skipping tuned and modified cars.
Wow, I know it's a common platform to tune but I wasn't expecting 90% of them to be tuned... I was hoping that most who tuned would also have some aftermarket bits that they didn't revert to stock before selling which would be a dead giveaway but you are right, ultimately the only guarantee would be bringing it to a dealer for the DME scan. That's really going to narrow the search significantly and presumably mean quite a bit of money at BMW if 9 out of 10 cars are going to show a previous tune... Any idea what BMW is charging on average for a scan? Are there any scan tools publicly available that will show this data?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 10:57 AM   #4
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

i'd say the chance of an F83 being tuned is pretty low. enthusiasts usually dont buy those.

but yeah try to find a 1 owner CPO. although even that isn't a guarantee it was never modified.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2024, 12:32 PM   #5
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
There are plenty of 18-20 F83 DCT Comps at BMW dealers, just search nationwide. I know cause I am always looking for the needle in a haystack 6spds. If you want a good 1 owner non modded car a BMW dealer is the safer route.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 07:39 PM   #6
X5_JC
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 X5

I bought a 2020 F83 DCT comp in May, mineral grey on full sakir with pretty much every option, HUD, lane change assistant, HK audio, active blind spot detection w/ 15k miles. I agree that enthusiast do not tune F83s as much and my car was completely stock with no visible signs of tuning when I bought it. I was a lease car that someone barley drove for 3 years. I am totally I love with the car, happy to answer any questions.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 07:05 PM   #7
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacoa View Post
Wow, I know it's a common platform to tune but I wasn't expecting 90% of them to be tuned... I was hoping that most who tuned would also have some aftermarket bits that they didn't revert to stock before selling which would be a dead giveaway but you are right, ultimately the only guarantee would be bringing it to a dealer for the DME scan. That's really going to narrow the search significantly and presumably mean quite a bit of money at BMW if 9 out of 10 cars are going to show a previous tune... Any idea what BMW is charging on average for a scan? Are there any scan tools publicly available that will show this data?
No way are anywhere near 90% of F83’s tuned. People read posts on this forum and try to extrapolate them to all cars BMW sells.
duky1316.50
      02-17-2024, 03:30 AM   #8
ajbM4cab
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab / M240 Cab / M235i XD

Garage List
Agree with dealer route. You can also possibly negotiate a warranty into the deal.
I picked up my ‘approved used’ 2019 F83 tanzanite with extended Sonoma beige in a UK dealer for similar money to a private sale. One owner and low miles. But with the power of the main dealer he fitted 4 new PS4s and halved the cost of a 3 year extended warranty as part of the deal.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 05:03 AM   #9
NSX2M4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
No way are anywhere near 90% of F83’s tuned. People read posts on this forum and try to extrapolate them to all cars BMW sells.
You quoted the wrong poster, but I was referring to the F8X chassis in general as a whole. There's a ton of modified cars out there, badly modified ones. The convertible is no exception it's just the least common option in the lineup.

I agree with others and the OP should be looking at BMW dealers only.
      02-17-2024, 06:37 AM   #10
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX2M4 View Post
You quoted the wrong poster, but I was referring to the F8X chassis in general as a whole. There's a ton of modified cars out there, badly modified ones. The convertible is no exception it's just the least common option in the lineup.

I agree with others and the OP should be looking at BMW dealers only.
I don’t think 90% of the F8X chassis in general is accurate, either. Where are you getting this information?
      02-17-2024, 07:19 AM   #11
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
This is just anecdotal evidence from spending time on the forum and hanging out with other enthusiasts at meets. You start to feel like all the cars have been modified but not necessarily improved to your liking.

OP, I think you’re right to look for an unmodified (never tuned) ‘18-20 with comp pack. They’re out there! Make sure you ask about tuning though as even some dealers will have checked but will act like they don’t know when listing the car. I went through this looking for an unmodified CS last year. It’s not that hard.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410981.00
      02-17-2024, 08:32 AM   #12
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
I don’t think 90% of the F8X chassis in general is accurate, either. Where are you getting this information?
90% of the cars on this forum aren’t even tuned. I’d be surprised if it’s anywhere near even 40%.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410981.00
      02-17-2024, 09:47 AM   #13
zillymc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 | Tanzanite

I'm stock and my F80 M3 ZCP is unmolested never has and never will be tuned! My 2016 M4 though.....that was molested heavily
      02-17-2024, 12:15 PM   #14
NSX2M4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Of course it's not accurate, It's a generalized statement.
Shit ton on tuning devices, licenses, and other modifications listed in the classifieds daily though.
      02-17-2024, 02:26 PM   #15
Boznien
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP (Avus Blue)

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [9.50]
When I was looking for my F80, I initially came up with a list of non-negotiables and things that I could compromise on. For example, LCI-2, Competition package, and Executive package were my non-negotiables. Color, interior, and mods were things I would compromise on. Another way of looking at it would be "must-have" and "nice-to-have".

Unfortunately, I got rear ended in my F30 the same week that this F80 got traded in to my local dealer. I got unbelievably lucky with the spec/history of this car. 2-owners, 16k miles, Avus Blue, black interior, every package under the sun except for CCB's, rear window shade, and leather dash.

The car came with two sets of wheels (summer/winter). No mods and the 1st owner was a 68 yr old man who passed away and his son inherited the car who then traded it into my local dealer.

Bottom line... Make a list of things that are "must-have" and things that are "nice-to-have." and you'll find your match in no time.

Best of luck hunting!
Instagram: @boznien
Appreciate 1
CSBM52722.50
      02-18-2024, 05:57 PM   #16
Monkey Throttle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 comp 6MT, 993 C2S

In my experience when hunting for a F82 and then 3 years later an F80, you can fairly often tell if the car has been tuned - all you have to do is deep dive and look for evidence.

I'm going to throw out a general statement but most people who tune their cars also visually personalize them in some way. Some modifications are less expensive to leave on than they are to take off. Or, it's just not worth the time/effort.

So start looking for any indicator that the car might be tuned. Simple, little things like are the M1, M2 buttons on the steering wheel changed? The handbrake and armrest? What about the steering wheel? Are the wheels the original wheels and size that came with the car? Look up at the Carfax history and also the Experian history, you can start to develop indicators on the type of owner that had the car before you.

Also, look at the suspension. Lots of people like to change the ride height, etc. Does the car have any exterior mods? CF mirrors, Front lip, rear spoiler, etc?

Where did the PO have the car serviced? Was it brought to the dealer or do the records indicate it went to a performance shop?

There is usually going to be some type of evidence you just have to sniff it out. My recent purchase was a car I bought sight unseen. I could tell by the pics it had side skirt, front lip, carbon mirrors and rear spoiler. When I looked at the service history though, it had only had oil changes at BMW or Mini. I knew it wasn't someone who modded at that point especially because it had super low miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 11:08 AM   #17
NYCLFC6
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3 and X5

I am looking to sell mine. F80 mineral gray, 2018, ~18k miles, competition with executive package, black interior. I have not put it on the market yet but I will in a month or so. I was close to selling it over a year ago but changed my mind last minute. I felt really bad for the fellow who wanted to buy it but I just loved the car and my boys were begging me not to sell it so had a hard time letting it go. Since then, I have put less than 1.5k miles. Car sits in my garage. The mods I have done are cosmetic, the window tint ($600) and carbon trim from RW Carbon (CS style lip, 3D sides, and one piece 3D rear diffuser - cost around $2,500). Made the car look great but not overly aggressive like some. No front license plate. Took my chances. Don't know what you're looking to spend but this is one of the cleanest cars you can find. It was a weekend car for me for 4 years now but time to let it go...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 11:33 AM   #18
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 Comp

I was lucky enough to be able to borrow a colleagues 2017 F83 for a week before I bought my F82

His was mineral grey, black leather. All extras apart from 360 cameras.

I have to say. The folding roof was superb and it was very refined with roof up. Even on the 666 20s on poor Irish roads!

Heated seats, wheel and heat scarf make cruisinjng with the roof down a joy and with valves open it sounds superb

Only issue he claimed under warranty for was a blow amp due to water ingress. Seems to be quite common

If you google it I think you’ll find there is an oem solution

I agree that most vert owners don’t seem to tune but my 2018 F82 comp sounds and drives so good with DP and Stage 2 I’ve convinced my friend to get same done to his! (With insane crank hub too)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 12:34 PM   #19
Monkey Throttle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 comp 6MT, 993 C2S

My F82 had backup camera but not parking assist with the 360. I have to say, having the parking assist on the F80 with the full system is a complete and total WASTE of time and money. The lane assist and crash warning system are worthless as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 09:09 AM   #20
lacoa
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
This is just anecdotal evidence from spending time on the forum and hanging out with other enthusiasts at meets. You start to feel like all the cars have been modified but not necessarily improved to your liking.

OP, I think you’re right to look for an unmodified (never tuned) ‘18-20 with comp pack. They’re out there! Make sure you ask about tuning though as even some dealers will have checked but will act like they don’t know when listing the car. I went through this looking for an unmodified CS last year. It’s not that hard.
This was actually one of my fears, there is always a chance the dealer knows the vehicle had a questionable past and isn't disclosing that.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 09:15 AM   #21
lacoa
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbM4cab View Post
Agree with dealer route. You can also possibly negotiate a warranty into the deal.
I picked up my ‘approved used’ 2019 F83 tanzanite with extended Sonoma beige in a UK dealer for similar money to a private sale. One owner and low miles. But with the power of the main dealer he fitted 4 new PS4s and halved the cost of a 3 year extended warranty as part of the deal.
I go back and forth on this... Generally speaking I try to find a one owner vehicle that is private sale so that I can ask all of the questions to the actual owner. When going to the dealer you can ask for service records and the Carfax will usually tell if it was an auction vehicle or a trade but other than that I feel like I am going in blind. There of course are some better protections in place if the vehicle has issues that pop up right away I suppose. I would guess if a dealer takes in a modified vehicle they would likely send it to the auction as opposed to returning it to stock to sell on their lot but there is always the chance that the person who traded it returned it to stock themselves to sell the aftermarket bits and get top dollar on trade for an "unmodified" vehicle...

I suppose at the end of the day all I can do is be diligent regardless of the type of sale, there will always be risk with a pre-owned vehicle, I will just have to minimize that risk as much as possible.

Perhaps worth noting is that I do plan to lightly modify the vehicle myself so I would not benefit much from a warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 04:09 PM   #22
vkolp
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Throttle View Post
In my experience when hunting for a F82 and then 3 years later an F80, you can fairly often tell if the car has been tuned - all you have to do is deep dive and look for evidence.

I'm going to throw out a general statement but most people who tune their cars also visually personalize them in some way. Some modifications are less expensive to leave on than they are to take off. Or, it's just not worth the time/effort.

So start looking for any indicator that the car might be tuned. Simple, little things like are the M1, M2 buttons on the steering wheel changed? The handbrake and armrest? What about the steering wheel? Are the wheels the original wheels and size that came with the car? Look up at the Carfax history and also the Experian history, you can start to develop indicators on the type of owner that had the car before you.

Also, look at the suspension. Lots of people like to change the ride height, etc. Does the car have any exterior mods? CF mirrors, Front lip, rear spoiler, etc?

Where did the PO have the car serviced? Was it brought to the dealer or do the records indicate it went to a performance shop?

There is usually going to be some type of evidence you just have to sniff it out. My recent purchase was a car I bought sight unseen. I could tell by the pics it had side skirt, front lip, carbon mirrors and rear spoiler. When I looked at the service history though, it had only had oil changes at BMW or Mini. I knew it wasn't someone who modded at that point especially because it had super low miles.
I couldn’t agree with you more. During my search I avoided cars with Amazon paddle shifters, colored M1/M2 buttons, eBay steering wheel (among other things) like the plague. Dead giveaway that some “bro” had the car prior. I just couldn’t look past it. Conversely, and ironically, all my badges, including the center caps, and the badge on the steering wheel are the OEM badges from IND but with the outermost silver ring blacked out, oh and I ended up tuning my car. Lol.
Appreciate 0