GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-17-2015, 01:16 AM   #1
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

SCANS - Finally Here: M4 VS AMG C63S

Review by Autohoje (portugal).

Scans and my translation attempt below, with a surprising result: They like the M4 better!

Algarve is not only overcrowded beaches, too many tourist projects and golf courses. Just get away from the coast, though and head to the mountains
and you will find some of the best secondary roads. Roads with little use, therefore in good condition,with little traffic at this time of the year and with curves for all curves. This is ideal to compare two the most extraordinary German SuperSaloons. On the one hand, the renowned BMW M3 on the other side, the all-new Mercedes-AMG C63 S, which has more power and is more expensive.

But power is not everything and options lists make them easily comparable. Autohoje is first to present you this exclusive comparison. The first impression confirms what's expected: the M3 continues with a more extroverted visual and not because of the blue Yas Marina paint on this tester. The front bumpers have the complex forms shaped by the aerodynamic forces to create the effect of air curtain that stabilizes the flow around the front wheels. It has some gills too, just behind the wheels. The Mercedes-AMG follows the brand's tradition with a more discreet aesthetic where only the spoiler on the trunk and black rims make one's suspect something. Both
have bumps on the hood to give more space for the engine but only BMW uses a carbon roof. The situation is reversed as soon as you open the driver's door. Apart from the sports seats in light colored leather, the M3 is almost similar to 3 series. On the other hand, in the C63 S, there are also
sports seats (optional), but they are more showy, while the rest of the interior receives a more distinctive finish. With four doors, the buyer expects
some versatility, which the M3 has more, with greater room in the rear seats and over 45 liters extra capacity in the trunk.

- V8 biturbo: The C63 S has a direct-injection 4 liter
V8 biturbo with 510 hp and 700 Nm. It accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in
4.0 seconds. -

- 6 CYLINDER: Also with two turbos, the 3.0 inline six-cylinder has 431 hp and 550 Nm. It makes the 0-100 km/h in 4.1 seconds. -

- In the M3, the yellow lights of the rev counter will ddisappear as the engine reaches optimum operating temperature. In the C63 S, the center monitor has specific information about the boost pressure, engine oil temperature and housing -

HOW TO FINE TUNE THE SETUPS
The MERCEDES-AMG C63 S has a switch to choose between the 5 Select Dynamic AMG five positions : Comfort, Sport, Sport +,
Race and Individual. In each of these adjustments are selected for the suspension, steering, engine response, the exhaust and gearbox.
In Comfort, comes in the "tack" that clutches when the motor is not accelerated between 60 and 160 km / h. But after selecting a "set-up" basis, the driver can still lock the box in manual mode, adjust the suspension on three levels and the ESP in three others, every time. In the case of M3, there are separate buttons also that individually regulate engine response, damping, steering assistance and gearbox, plus the ESP. Then there are two buttons on the steering wheel, M1 and M2, to record two personal combinations. Again, the driver can change each parametres individually,
after choosing the "set-up" basis. Not far from the racing cars!

INSIDE
At the wheel of the C63 S, the eyes see the many details of this
AMG version, such as the instrument panel with its own graphics, the thicker steering wheel or the unexpected IWC analog clock, in the middle
a console lined with varnished carbon fiber varnished, which adds to the already very appealing design of the C Class. The M3 almost
looks like a base 3 Series in comparison with an instrument panel without any great differences except for the lights on the tachometer that will disappear when the engine warms up. But the BMW has the best driving position, mainly because the steering wheel is round, has an excellent grip and its range of adjustements is broader. "Engine start" pressed in and AMG
the V8 awakens with a glorious sound. Even with the exhaust button on lower volume, the V8 gurgles in idle as a classic V8 without turbos alleviating the sensation. At the first opportunity for full throttle, the engine revs rise
in a demonstration of a super sports car, to cut to 7000 rpm, looking like it could go up further. With the piloted suspension in Comfort mode, even with the 19'' wheels, comfort is more than acceptable in degraded road conditions and the automatic box with multi-plate clutch is smooth and progressive: outstanding in the city. But this is just the prologue, we reach the roads in the mountain, where the sense of speed gains another dimension, with the dazzling parade the trees on the side windows. The engine's power is such that even on a straight, it is not uncommon to see the light of the ESP! We begin to perceive who is in charge here. And the boss is the rear axle. With 700 Nm of torque, and an electronic limited slip differential, is does not
take much provocation to make the rear wheels slide in slow, medium or fast corners. And at angles that are not common in this type of systems.
Turning off the ESP completely, it can be seen then the genesis of this AMG,
made of oversteering attitude in which excess power turns out to be an ally and not an enemy. In fact, most critical situation is resolved with
more and more throttle oversteer, the front does not have time to understeer, unless the driver decides to "hang on" the brakes, because of the confidence the front carbon discs instill. The good part is that the steering has the weight and the progressiveness to control everything.
Next to the C63, the M3 feels very different from the first meters! We note that the engine is not as powerful or likes to vocalizes as much, but it even loves more to more rev all the way to 7600 rpm, where it sounds like an atmospheric six-cylinder. As in the V8 Biturbo Mercedes, there are 2 turbos in this in-line to avoid any time response and the double-clutch gearbox
is even faster and obedient than the automatic of the AMG. All M3 reactions are more direct and arrive in greater detail to the driver, which thus involves more in driving but also more of an ally, starting with an ultra-fast and accurate steering.

ON THE ASPHALT
The M3's relationship with the asphalt is more complete than the C63 S. It is possible to play with the balance of the masses, now putting the car to understeer a little, when it gives more security, now making it oversteer. It is the result of having a sub-structure rigidly fixed to the rear platform,
without bushings in the middle. Of course comfort is worse and, ultimately, the M3 requires greater speed of movement, to tame the oversteer that arises but it comes at a higher speed. The wider tires and a more edfficient electronic differential are reasons but not the only ones for this. The truth is that the M3 weighs nearly 200 pounds less and has a near perfect weight distribution of 50/50, two arguments that have also have an effect on the 0-100 km/h, which separates the 2 cars by only 0.1 seconds for C63 S, although the AMG has least 79 hp more. On the opposite exercise, the M3 four carbon discs also appear to be more potent. In fact, being direct rivals, the temperament of both cars is quite different. There are times when it appears M3 is a racing car, tuned for the track: it is very effective in dispatching kilometers of curves and make its driver wide-eyed and
and with clenched fists, immersed in the pleasure of driving fast. On the other hand, the C63 S, within the "madness" that is to have 510 hp under the right foot, turns out to be more tamable by more drivers. Only the experience delivered by the pulling power of the V8 in every straight happens more often, it is a pleasure to the senses.

CONCLUSION
The C63 S is a stunning car, the fabulous V8 and complex oversteering attitude. Between the two, it is the best choice for 90% of buyers. But the M3 is forms a bond between the driver and the asphalt, with a level of detail that can only be found in racing car. In this duel it is what gives it the win.

- The M3 has a more dynamic attitude and communicates more
to the driver. The interior shows a trivial design but the driving position
driving is better and the sports seats are excellent -

- The power dominates the C63 S without it becomes difficult to tame her. The interior has a really special feel and the decor fine. Optional buckets are very good but the steering wheel base is flat and lacking adjustment in range. -
Attached Images

03-17-2015, 01:17 AM   #2
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]

Thank You for Posting this.. After reading it, I would think its the norm of the BMW vs AMG tuning... Bring on the Comp Packs/Black Series.. Please

I do agree the Interior belongs to the C63, Exterior belongs to the M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
Review by Autohoje (portugal)..... -

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 03-17-2015 at 01:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 01:39 AM   #3
JIO
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post

Thank You for Posting this.. After reading it, I would think its the norm of the BMW vs AMG tuning... Bring on the Comp Packs/Black Series.. Please

I do agree the Interior belongs to the C63, Exterior belongs to the M3

I agree...the C63 interior looks like an expensive car, which it is. Outside it's the M3, but unfortunately one spends more time inside the car. Give me the C63 interior on the M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 01:46 AM   #4
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIO View Post
I agree...the C63 interior looks like an expensive car, which it is. Outside it's the M3, but unfortunately one spends more time inside the car. Give me the C63 interior on the M3.
Think of what would happened if the C63 and M3 had a baby? Would that be like inbreeding? Blasphemy to Z Germans? The end

I am getting wood at the idea...

We could call it the MC63?

I have mechanical wood .....

Currently Spitting 10W30 everywhere

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 03-17-2015 at 01:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2015, 01:59 AM   #5
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

I prefer the interior of the M3 to that of the C63, which I stated in the VS thread. I just don't like the entire dash section, and I think that the M3/4 with full leather rivals that of the C63.

Highly subjective, but it seems as if the interior/exterior design cues are flipped flopped for each car. The F8X looking more aggressive from the outside, and the C63 looking a little more aggressive from the inside. Love the seats in the C63, but I also love the standard seats in the F8X. Standard to standard, I'm picking the F8X all day. I can't get past the dash and the air vents along with the Navi in the C63. I think BMW executed the Nav integration a lot better. I also wish that the C63 didn't look like a baby S Class.

Again, highly subjective opinions, both great cars. Probably going to be really close in price, although I feel like the C63 is going to be a hair more expensive.

It's a good time to be in a market for a car like this, and you absolutely cannot lose no matter which one you pick.
Appreciate 4
      03-17-2015, 02:10 AM   #6
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Just as expected and as it always been. No surprises here. Both cars are built and appeal to respective brands traditional customers. No major attempts to steal each other's customers. Yikes the Benz is even less appealing next to the M than it is alone.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 04:05 AM   #7
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Thanks for posting this. I find I like the interior quality "look" of the AMG but there are aspects I don't like, as in that screen and the over emphasised circular vents, while I think the M looks more purposeful but less luxurious, but it retains it german design more and everything looks better blended in with the other elements.

The exterior is no contest if sporty aggression is your taste but the refined and calm look of the AMG is also an acquired and welcoming taste, which also may age better as the years add on should this be a keeper. I also like the hub design in the wheels of the AMG in which the lug nuts are hidden.

I think the C63S instead of the more comparable(on paper) C63 will remain the continued competitor to the M3, which if this review is any indication the M3 still manages to hold it's own performance wise, this says a lot regarding the usual behaviour of these two vehicles. It is an exact copy of the battle through the years of the Evo(M3) and STI(C63).
The Evo has always been the scalpel, made to be driven and more precise while the STI has been more of a brute in handling yet having a slightly better interior, and many prefer the boxer engine rumble over the inline 4 in the Evo.
I actually like the sound of the M3 and even more with an MPE or Akro, the V8 is quite nice too, but it just depends on what your ears like more. I find this is the least important consideration between the two.

I just bought my M3 and thought I might regret my decision when the C63S came out and worried I would be swayed to make a "lateral" upgrade, in the end I do like the AMG and almost prefer the more distinguished gentlemen exterior, but can happily say I think the M3 is the best car for me, maybe in person the C63S may be more impressive, we'll see.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2015, 04:27 AM   #8
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

In the end, i'm glad I made the right decision. Wait, there was never a decision to make!

Appreciate 2
      03-17-2015, 06:24 AM   #9
erind
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Ftype R, M4

Appreciate 2
      03-17-2015, 06:46 AM   #10
Maxis
Second Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F83

So while BMW gives you fake exhaust sounds, Mercedes goes the extra distance and does some proper exhaust R&D to give you the sound customers want.
      03-17-2015, 07:09 AM   #11
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2006 bmw m5  [10.00]
2016 bmw z4 35is  [8.33]
2000 bmw m5  [10.00]
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
1987 BMW 325 Conver ...  [10.00]
merc is nice but exterior and interior look more like a luxury model rather then performance. whoever wants plush they dont get AMG to begin with. exterior is too much like regular c class. M is a drivers machine while AMG is for people who drive 30 mph and just like to say that they have 500+ hp and never really use them

Effective 11 Min Home Workouts?????
No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
https://www.youtube.com/c/FitnessGene
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 07:16 AM   #12
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

One very important thing it that BMW lets you have the M3/M4 in 6 speed manual. No such choice for AMG, never been actually. Different philosophies...
      03-17-2015, 07:25 AM   #13
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

The belt passages on the C63's seats alone give the interior a leg up on the M3. Personally, I'm otherwise indifferent towards the interiors. I could live with either.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #14
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

That M just looks so much more appropriate for a younger crowd.
      03-17-2015, 07:45 AM   #15
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Always interesting to see the same themes passing from generation to generation (obviously a conscious choice between BMW and Mercedes).

BMW slightly sportier handling and more aggressive sporty exterior design, almost as fast in a straight line.

AMG slightly faster in straight line, more luxurious interior, more aggressive sound.

Just goes to show that as far as BMW and Mercedes are concerned, their target customers as a whole are indeed slightly different (although enough people "on the fence" who could choose either one)...

In the end - competition so close now it really does come down to 90%+ subjective choice. Competition is indeed a good thing!!
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2015, 07:58 AM   #16
fortressmaximus
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide
Always interesting to see the same themes passing from generation to generation (obviously a conscious choice between BMW and Mercedes).

BMW slightly sportier handling and more aggressive sporty exterior design, almost as fast in a straight line.

AMG slightly faster in straight line, more luxurious interior, more aggressive sound.

Just goes to show that as far as BMW and Mercedes are concerned, their target customers as a whole are indeed slightly different (although enough people "on the fence" who could choose either one)...

In the end - competition so close now it really does come down to 90%+ subjective choice. Competition is indeed a good thing!!
Agreed. I don't think you could go wrong with either one of these cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 07:59 AM   #17
catch
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Great pics there. The C63 has always been underwhelming on the outside, moreso on this new model even. Interior wise, wow! Benz finally made an interior I really like
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 08:07 AM   #18
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post

That, plus weight disparity.
M3 is 1520 kgs.
C63 is 1655 kgs.

That 300 pound penalty is what explains 0.1 second slower C63 0-60 times (surprised me - I though C63 would be quicker with 69 extra HP and 150 Nm of extra torque), and less connected driving experience on track.

Same story as with RC-F: nice V8 torque and sounds, pork kills performance.
I'm sure there will be plenty of buyers for all three (as well as others).

a
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 08:08 AM   #19
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

I am probably bias, but I like the M3 interior better. Especially the seats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 08:12 AM   #20
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbennettksu View Post
I am probably bias, but I like the M3 interior better. Especially the seats.
I like everything in the M3 interior better except the seats. I really don't like the glowing M logo and even tho I show no wear right now I am highly concerned about the longevity of this leather.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 08:36 AM   #21
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Taste is obviously subjective and I fault no one for thinking what they do when it comes to style. But I do think those of you comparing the M3/4 interior to the C-Class really need to sit inside the Mercedes to truly judge this car. I went to the Detroit auto show in 2013 and my biggest takeaway outside of the new M twins is what Mercedes is doing with their interiors. Sleek lines, good materials, and awesome seats. Truly a notch above what I have in my M car, and I made sure to get the full leather package to compensate for some of that.

The only thing I didnt like in the C was the iPad stapled to the dash and the interaction with the infotainment. BMW isn't much better if I'm being honest, still getting used to iDrive and my designated presets.

This is a car for two different types of people. I am very happy I chose the BMW, but would probably be as equally happy had I gone with the Mercedes. For now, where I am in my life, the BMW fits me perfectly. Thanks to the OP for the translation.

My 1000 post!
      03-17-2015, 08:54 AM   #22
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

So pretty much nothing has changed. Good to know.

Still F80 for me almost purely because it's still available in MT. And cloth seats
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0