Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

01-22-2020, 06:46 PM   #1
jddunworth
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

F82 Roll Cage Requirements

So I am looking into the process of getting my SCCA license so that I can start to track my M4 Comp and do a few races every now and then. I have some minor mods on the car such as lowering springs which I believe puts me in the Street Touring Ultra class (STU)? Is a roll cage always necessary in order for me to use my car in the driving courses and on the track? I looked through the GCR and online but was still confused as to if every car always needs one. I am looking into some of the RSR bolt on cages but would like to save $2.5k if it isn't required. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 12:13 PM   #2
GTABurnout
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 Manual

So most track days are not requiring a cage in cars used for just timed sessions or driver education. If you want to go door to door racing you will need a cage, and in my opinion a cheaper car to start with.

Door to door racing is a whole different world when it comes to safety. A cage is the first part, seats, belts, fire suppression, suit, helmet, etc...

I assume you just want to take your car to a few track days for that you usually need a helmet and a safe car. Thats it.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 12:58 PM   #3
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

We just had a lively discussion on what people thought was necessary for taking a F8x out to the track, probably a good read for you -> https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1686961.

Like GTABurnout said, grab a helmet, consider slapping some pads and fluid on the car, and have some fun. If you enjoy yourself you can then decide if your F82 is the car you want to track, or if it is worth grabbing something cheaper to run. I'd highly recommend doing some HPDEs with your local NASA/SCCA/BMWCCA/PCA organizations, and get some instruction. You'll learn a lot quite quickly.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 04:50 PM   #4
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Oh man, don’t do it.

Building up an f8x for stu as your first car to w2w is going to be $$$$$

My $0.02 do a pro school to get your full license right away or do a school run by your local region and meet some people and get your novice permit and race with that. Rent time in spec e30 or spec Miata Or an e36m racer at first to see if you like the classes and the club before diving in right away with your full build

I just did that process last year, after several years of HPDE with z435, f80 and 911 turbo type of street cars, and am happy to discuss over PM if you would like.

My current w2w car is an na8 SM that was pro built, setup and maintained (that I got used for a big discount over building it new...) and I think it’s absolutely the cheapest and most accessible way to start in w2w
Appreciate 0