Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-04-2020, 01:19 AM   #199
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheFetch View Post
One other thing, I really wish mine had apple car play.
It is implemented terribly in the F80 - trust me, you don't want it.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 06:03 PM   #200
M3ILANA
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Quote:
Are you kidding me? It's flawless!
Appreciate 2
QMoney18.00
DanMpower3234.00
      02-04-2020, 06:07 PM   #201
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ILANA View Post
Are you kidding me? It's flawless!
Honestly, once your warranty runs out, put in your own $500 aftermarket replacement for all the road trip needs. The stock unit is kinda MEH considering the year and whats out there.. BMW is just lazy. 2020 models got the good upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 07:00 PM   #202
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

I wish my full black leather interior came with red stitching which I think wasn't available in 2015.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 01:12 PM   #203
EGbeater
IG: @panda_exprs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 DCT, E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cionide View Post
I don't like how the DCT works. I feel like when driving normally, any time you floor it a bit to pass someone it expects that you will be accelerating to 300kph and just keeps it in low gears for too long after you finish passing.
I scanned through all ten pages of this thread (so far) to see if anyone else mentions this. Nope, I guess it's just me and this guy.

I'm sure some smartass is going to reply, "Your fault for buying the DCT if you wanted total control of the car's gearing" but here's the thing: if my wife's autotragic 2013 Mazda3 can figure out that I'm done passing and it can upshift to a cruising gear after one second, why can't BMW's DCT at 3x the sticker price?

After three decades of driving only manual-transmission cars for daily driving, track driving, and autocross, my ego / sense of self-worth isn't tied directly to being able to proclaim, "I only drive manual-transmission cars, I can heel and toe just like Randy Pobst, etc" anymore.

Also, I'm old and lazy. #GetOffMyLawn
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2020, 01:14 PM   #204
///Mani
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFragileHalogen View Post
I wish my full black leather interior came with red stitching which I think wasn't available in 2015.
Hey if your interested there's a DIY on the forum about using dye pens to achieve this. I'm going to be doing this soon and the results look promising.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 04:42 PM   #205
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mpower.nick View Post
Hey if your interested there's a DIY on the forum about using dye pens to achieve this. I'm going to be doing this soon and the results look promising.
I am not sure if I want to alter the factory form to trick my eyes having yellow stitch like p-cars might be looking nice though.
Appreciate 1
///Mani36.00
      02-10-2020, 11:54 PM   #206
princefemi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80

I can't drive it and see my f80 rolling at the same time. It is such a beautiful thing to behold when I park and look back, but I would love to see my f80 rolling as well.
The_Werm212.00
      02-11-2020, 11:59 AM   #207
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mani View Post
Quote:
I am not sure if I want to alter the factory form to trick my eyes having yellow stitch like p-cars might be looking nice though.
I did this with the Full Black Leather interior on my Sakhir Orange M4. I took some pictures but never posted them.

After I put in the order for my M4 I thought about getting the Individual Sakhir Orange contrasting stitching, which would have been ~$1800. I had a small window where I could have made that change. Unfortunately, I waited a little too long and my car suddenly went into production, and that opportunity was lost.

I saw the post about using fabric dye markers to stain the stitching, so I ordered a bunch of orange fabric dye markers in different shades of orange from all of the different manufacturers. I tried them all on an old t-shirt and picked the one that popped the most.

By default, the standard stitching for black is Silverstone Gray, not white, so the dye starts off being a little muted because of the gray base. Also, there's a lot of stitching in an M3/M4. With the full leather option, there's even more stitching on the dash and on the door cards. Once you start, you're committed, and you have to do the entire interior. You have to work on sections about a foot or two at a time, back and forth with the marker, three of four times, then wipe off the excess with a dry cloth. Some of the dye stays on the leather, so you have to go back and wipe that off with a damp cloth. It ends up being a very tedious process. I worked on it for about 2-3 hours a day, with breaks, over about 3 days. In the M4, it can get uncomfortable trying to get to all of the stitching in the back seat, including on the top and side of the headrests. I ended up with lots of aches and pains.

The immediate end result is that I had somewhat muted orange stitching. People who saw it said that it looked good. A friend has an M3 with a Sakhir Orange interior and it never looked as good as the bright Sakhir Orange stitching where the sections of black and SO meet. Red or blue would probably give better results. It fades over time. It still looks distinctively unique and the stitching is definitely not gray.

My wife ordered her Individual San Marino Blue M3 with Individual Polar Blue stitching. Her interior looks awesome!

Last edited by SD ///M4; 02-11-2020 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2020, 11:59 AM   #208
///Mani
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I did this with the Full Black Leather interior on my Sakhir Orange M4. I took some pictures but never posted them.

After I put in the order for my M4 I thought about getting the Individual Sakhir Orange contrasting stitching, which would have been ~$1800. I had a small window where I could have made that change. Unfortunately, I waited a little too long and my car suddenly went into production, and that opportunity was lost.

I saw the post about using fabric dye markers to stain the stitching, so I ordered a bunch of orange fabric dye markers in different shades of orange from all of the different manufacturers. I tried them all on an old t-shirt and picked the one that popped the most.

By default, the standard stitching for black is Silverstone Gray, not white, so the dye starts off being a little muted because of the gray base. Also, there's a lot of stitching in an M3/M4. With the full leather option, there's even more stitching on the dash and on the door cards. Once you start, you're committed, and you have to do the entire interior. You have to work on sections about a foot or two at a time, back and forth with the marker, three of four times, then wipe off the excess with a dry cloth. Some of the dye stays on the leather, so you have to go back and wipe that off with a damp cloth. It ends up being a very tedious process. I worked on it for about 2-3 hours a day, with breaks, over about 3 days. In the M4, it can get uncomfortable trying to get to all of the stitching in the back seat, including on the top and side of the headrests. I ended up with lots of aches and pains.

The immediate end result is that I had somewhat muted orange stitching. People who saw it said that it looked good. A friend has an M3 with a Sakhir Orange interior and it never looked as good as the bright Sakhir Orange stitching where the sections of black and SO meet. Red or blue would probably give better results. It fades over time. It still looks distinctively unique and the stitching is definitely not gray.

My wife ordered her Individual San Marino Blue M3 with Individual Polar Blue stitching. Her interior looks awesome!
Seems like a lot of work, I might try to tackle it the way you did just working on it couple hours a day. I wouldn't mind a muted red as long as it's red and it contrasts. How many pens did you end up using? Overall do you think it's worth it?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 03:10 PM   #209
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Seems like a lot of work, I might try to tackle it the way you did just working on it couple hours a day. I wouldn't mind a muted red as long as it's red and it contrasts. How many pens did you end up using? Overall do you think it's worth it?
It is a lot of work. I'm glad that I did it, but I wouldn't do it again, I'd make sure that if I wanted contrasting stitching that I ordered it from the factory. Totally worth the extra bucks.

I ordered a bunch of pens by different manufacturers, from different suppliers, in different shades of orange, and different sizes of pen tips.

I've seen YouTube videos where people just used permanent marker Sharpies, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to get that off the leather. The dye markers are designed to just dye the thread fabric and wipes off the leather pretty easily, sometimes with just a little bit of rubbing.

The manufacturers/products that I tried were Yasutomo FabricMate DYE Ink Markers, ZIG Fabricolor Twin, and Marvy Uchida. Suppliers were Dharma Supply (dharmasupply.com), who specializes in fiber art supplies", and Blick (dickblick.com), a general online art supply store. I ended up using two of the FabricMate Permanent Chisel Tip Fabric Markers from Dharma Supply.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 03:09 PM   #210
LarryM4C
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 X6, 2015 M4 Convertible

Worst thing about the M4 (or any coupe in the series) is the interior door handles are too far forward. You can't get enough leverage to control the long heavy door from swinging our and hitting car next to you. I'm talking about when you need to open as far as possible in those tight spots and need maximum control.
NickyC17453.50
      02-15-2020, 03:12 PM   #211
Megabass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS_CS View Post
Hate? Hate's a strong word, I don't think I absolutely hate anything about this car quite honestly. After about a year of ownership on my CS I think my only complaint was the rear deck rattle from when the stereo is higher volume but that can be fixed along with the window trim squeak which are both well known small issues which are easily taken care of.
Dude my window squeak is so annoying on my CS. What's the remedy?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #212
CanIDeductIt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i, Macan Turbo

I have to agree with everyone else regarding the loud startup. I love the car, but that first 25 seconds of chaos is embarrassing when others are around. Hard to believe all of the brainpower at BMW wasn't able to figure out a way to not have an 80k car sound like a UPS truck at startup. I hate it in the morning when I'm trying not to wake the baby, I hate it in parking lots when business associates think I've modified the car to be that way, and hate it even when I'm the only one that can hear it. Fortunately, it's a fleeting moment and then on to the enjoyment.

Does anyone else's exhaust valves rattle quite a bit during the cold start? I never noticed a rattle once I'm on my way but, the metallic rattle definitely adds to the annoyance. Of course I can flip to sport mode and open them for the start, which solves the rattle, but makes the entire situation more obnoxious.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 12:13 PM   #213
Beemerm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW m3

I don't like where I wash the car and then roll the windows down. And my windows have droplets from inside the door sill.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 01:29 AM   #214
WESTCOASTTRADING
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Coupe

cabin noise, door rattle, clunking noise over the bumps..
after all this is race car so I grew out of it..
(=
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 11:41 AM   #215
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

I wish my bluetooth connection didnt suck ass.

I can get in my 2011 Ram and phone connects no issue and continues playing my podcast/spotify seemlessly. With the M I have to shut off bluetooth turn it back on and wait for my phone to connect. Its aggravating.
      02-26-2020, 12:06 PM   #216
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM4C View Post
Worst thing about the M4 (or any coupe in the series) is the interior door handles are too far forward. You can't get enough leverage to control the long heavy door from swinging our and hitting car next to you. I'm talking about when you need to open as far as possible in those tight spots and need maximum control.
+1

I always warn passengers about the door on my car when exiting. If you’re not used to it, you will absolutely pound the car parked next to you.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 12:42 PM   #217
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10biie89 View Post
cabin noise, door rattle, clunking noise over the bumps..
after all this is race car so I grew out of it..
(=
True, could do without the door rattle though.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 01:18 PM   #218
Refined
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

#1 con? Gotta be that brutal depreciation curve.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 01:32 PM   #219
Tall Tom Cruise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
+1

I always warn passengers about the door on my car when exiting. If you’re not used to it, you will absolutely pound the car parked next to you.
Yup.

This also makes it really easy for a girl to sling open your door and have it scrape over the curb if you park on the street. Ask me how I know.

That said, I'm pretty slammed on KW's.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17453.50
      02-26-2020, 02:08 PM   #220
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tom Cruise View Post
Yup.

This also makes it really easy for a girl to sling open your door and have it scrape over the curb if you park on the street. Ask me how I know.

That said, I'm pretty slammed on KW's.
Yep! I’m lowered on KWs too and I lucked the hell out. First time I hit a curb with the bottom of the door it was overgrown with grass and weeds so the paint didn’t get chipped. Really, really lucky. I check every time now before opening it near a curb!! :O
Appreciate 1