EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-16-2020, 12:34 PM   #1
Mick50382
Rep
Drives: 2011 c63 AMG

Yas Marina M4 - New to BMW

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and am currently looking to sell my 2011 C63 AMG and buy a Yas Marina Blue M4 coupe. I almost accomplished this yesterday but when I got back from my test drive, the salesman said that someone just bought the car online. I had traveled to another city 5 hours away and spent the night at a hotel just to check out this car, so understandably I was pretty pissed off. This car seemed perfect because it had a sunroof and all black wheels- both seem to be hard to find. I also really like the Merino leather and overall, the car was in excellent shape at a good price. The salesman then tried to sell me a grey M4 convertible which was basically the opposite of what I was looking for (great car but I wanted a coupe with a unique color). I also test drove an RS5 which was disappointing due to the lack of low end torque. I wanted to try out the M2 they had but someone bought it right before I was able to test drive it. In the end, I left empty handed but at least I think I know what I want. I will probably need to buy one from outside of the area and have it shipped to me, which is not ideal but the color, options, and price I’m looking for seem to be impossible to find around here.

I have a couple of questions for you guys. I really liked the YMB color but it was a very grey/cloudy winter day so I’m wondering what it looks like on a sunny day. I’ve seen pictures but there seems to be 1000 different ways the color looks on pictures so I’m looking more for an opinion on how you guys would describe it on a sunny day vs cloudy. Some if the pictures I’ve seen in direct sunlight make the color look washed out or extremely light blue which makes me a little uneasy. Ideally, I would just go see it in person but there are literally no YMB cars within 500 miles of me (I have looked through the different threads on the color but I am looking for more specific answers to my situation).

Another question I have is about the black rims. When I look online for the wheels, the M Black rims have black in the middle but the outer edge is silver. Are these all black rims like this from the factory or are people painting/wrapping them to make them look this way?

Here are a few pictures of the car:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
BBoyM367.00
      02-16-2020, 12:38 PM   #2
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

YMB is a tough color to photograph. It's the most affected by light conditions out of any color I've ever seen. Sakhir orange is a close 2nd.

Those wheels are 100% not a factory finish. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Just check them out for imperfections and to see if you like them.
Appreciate 1
BBoyM367.00
      02-16-2020, 12:59 PM   #3
Mick50382
Rep

Hey Ntg44,

Thanks for the reply. I figured that it was not a factory finish. If I wanted to duplicate that look I think I could just get the factory black rims and have them powder coated or something similar. I like the color contrast between the all black rims and the YMB. I think that the pictures I took are a pretty accurate depiction of YMB on a cloudy day.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 01:17 PM   #4
nickl630
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3CS, 09 GTR

Imagine baby blue with metallic in it on a sunny day. A lot of people love it but I feel its too loud on an M3. I prefer San Marino Blue, or darker blues like Tanzanite on a BMW.

Wheels have been refinished aftermarket, if they look fine thats all that matters.

FYI a sunroof would be viewed my many people as a negative when selling the car (most prefer the carbon roof) just an FYI if that impacts your decision.
      02-16-2020, 01:21 PM   #5
pattymtb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F87 M2 (MG)

I recently picked up a YMB M4 maybe a week ago. So far I'm in love with the colour. I do like the darker blue options BMW offer as well but I prefer the YMB here is a picture of my baby! P.S. she looks great in the winter! To answer your question directly I haven't really had it clean and in direct summer sunlight just yet but can't imagine it being anything but spectacular.
Attached Images

02-16-2020, 02:02 PM   #6
Mick50382
Rep

Tonino1,

Your car looks great! I see that you sold your M2 for this. How would you say it compares to the M4? I wanted to test drive one but every one of them in town was either purchased that day or had a deposit on it. I’m assuming that I would like the M4 better because the interior looks nicer and you can’t get merino leather in the M2 (I’m really picky about seats).

Nickl630,

I think that the carbon fiber roof looks a little better than the sunroof but I think I would miss the practically of having one and the lack of sunlight. The majority of used M4’s I’ve seen have the CF roof so it’s pretty challenging finding one without it.

I loved the way the YMB looked in the winter so can’t image not liking it on a sunny day but the term “baby blue” doesn’t exactly ease my mind about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 02:44 PM   #7
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Sunroof is not a "negative", it's more of a preference. I think the carbon roof looks great, but is not timeless IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 11:25 PM   #8
sicck_m4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 Yas Marina M4

Here's mine. Love the YMB. Name:  IMG_20191006_201422_499.jpg
Views: 1776
Size:  301.7 KB

Appreciate 3
pattymtb136.50
NickyC17356.00
BBoyM367.00
      02-17-2020, 12:04 AM   #9
pattymtb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F87 M2 (MG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick50382 View Post
Tonino1,

Your car looks great! I see that you sold your M2 for this. How would you say it compares to the M4? I wanted to test drive one but every one of them in town was either purchased that day or had a deposit on it. I’m assuming that I would like the M4 better because the interior looks nicer and you can’t get merino leather in the M2 (I’m really picky about seats).

Nickl630,

I think that the carbon fiber roof looks a little better than the sunroof but I think I would miss the practically of having one and the lack of sunlight. The majority of used M4’s I’ve seen have the CF roof so it’s pretty challenging finding one without it.

I loved the way the YMB looked in the winter so can’t image not liking it on a sunny day but the term “baby blue” doesn’t exactly ease my mind about it.
The M2 is something special for sure, handling wise it just wants to rotate around corners more lively. However, the M4 is no slouch around the bends either, and given my M2 had the n55 the s55 may sound less appealing, but the power, the power is what you notice. Driving the M4 puts the same smile on my face as the M2. I enjoy both but like I said with the s55 engine and added space of the M4 it's just more of my car. If I had any choice of car it would probably be a M2C but for the price I got the M4 I couldn't justify the difference. Plus I love the YMB and the carbon roof (personal preference)
      02-17-2020, 01:13 AM   #10
nickl630
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3CS, 09 GTR

Here's a decent sunlight pic. Notice the metallic shine around the lower center grille.

NickyC17356.00
      02-17-2020, 08:24 AM   #11
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
just have two things to add regarding color:
bought my F82 3 years ago and i can tell you that over that time I grew to like YMB a lot more than i did at first.
if this is going to be your daily driver you will find that YMB will be A LOT easier to live with than darker blues like my non-DD==>
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 09:20 AM   #12
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

YMB was tied as my first choice with MG. I'm actually more happy that I went with YMB as it doesn't look as dirty after the rain. The YMB is also easier for the other people to see and I've noticed I don't get as many people drifting into my lane.
      02-18-2020, 03:55 PM   #13
LVI
BMW Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and am currently looking to sell my 2011 C63 AMG and buy a Yas Marina Blue M4 coupe. I almost accomplished this yesterday but when I got back from my test drive, the salesman said that someone just bought the car online. I had traveled to another city 5 hours away and spent the night at a hotel just to check out this car, so understandably I was pretty pissed off. This car seemed perfect because it had a sunroof and all black wheels- both seem to be hard to find. I also really like the Merino leather and overall, the car was in excellent shape at a good price. The salesman then tried to sell me a grey M4 convertible which was basically the opposite of what I was looking for (great car but I wanted a coupe with a unique color). I also test drove an RS5 which was disappointing due to the lack of low end torque. I wanted to try out the M2 they had but someone bought it right before I was able to test drive it. In the end, I left empty handed but at least I think I know what I want. I will probably need to buy one from outside of the area and have it shipped to me, which is not ideal but the color, options, and price I’m looking for seem to be impossible to find around here.

I have a couple of questions for you guys. I really liked the YMB color but it was a very grey/cloudy winter day so I’m wondering what it looks like on a sunny day. I’ve seen pictures but there seems to be 1000 different ways the color looks on pictures so I’m looking more for an opinion on how you guys would describe it on a sunny day vs cloudy. Some if the pictures I’ve seen in direct sunlight make the color look washed out or extremely light blue which makes me a little uneasy. Ideally, I would just go see it in person but there are literally no YMB cars within 500 miles of me (I have looked through the different threads on the color but I am looking for more specific answers to my situation).

Another question I have is about the black rims. When I look online for the wheels, the M Black rims have black in the middle but the outer edge is silver. Are these all black rims like this from the factory or are people painting/wrapping them to make them look this way?

Here are a few pictures of the car:
That was almost unbelievable to read. How did they sell it “online” while you were test driving it? Next level asshats at this dealership.

Good luck in your search.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 09:21 AM   #14
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

YMB fo lyfe!

Best color available and super, SUPER easy to keep clean. The car can be absolutely filthy and still look clean unless you get right up on it. What a color, constant compliments for years. People love it!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 06:25 PM   #15
tasho_x2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Kraft/Tech Softail. M4 Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence1 View Post
That was almost unbelievable to read. How did they sell it “online” while you were test driving it? Next level asshats at this dealership.

Good luck in your search.
Lawrence,

As part of the management team at said store, I can assure you that we are not 'asshats'. As a matter of fact, we had a deposit on the vehicle from a customer coming from ohio. We had no prior contact from Mick so we really didn't know he was coming in to look at the vehicle from 5 hours away. The salesman that helped Mick was unaware of the vehicle having a pending deal on it. The actual buyer, did come later in the day and pick up the car.

I am a car guy myself and do drive a YMB M4. I feel for Mick missing out on it and that's why I had the salesman show all the other cars to him, including the gray one he mentioned and the RS5.
2012 CLS63 P31 - 2003 G500 - 2009 Audi S5 Coupe - 2015 Audi SQ5 - 2012 C63 AMG Edition1 - 2011 e90 M3 - 2013 Yamaha R1 - 2013 Mercedes C300 - 2011 Audi S4 - Range Rover SC'd = 2005 SLK55 AMG - 2008 CLS550 Sport - 1998 C43 AMG - 1993 Mitsu 3000GT

Last edited by tasho_x2; 02-20-2020 at 06:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
c12h231.00
      02-20-2020, 10:20 PM   #16
Mick50382
Rep

Tasho,

I had emailed the dealership mentioning I would be in town on Saturday to see the car and had an appointment to test drive it. If someone had made the deposit and decided to purchase the car right before I came in, I can see how the salesman didn’t know it was sold and why I wasn’t contacted (if it was any sooner I would have expected a heads up that the car was no longer available). I realize that it could have been a case of bad timing and bad luck so I did not mention the dealership by name and was not meaning to call anybody out. Overall, the dealership has a lot of really nice cars and I would consider going there again, but I was definitely not happy coming back empty handed when I was ready to purchase the car I just finished test driving. I’ve got my eye on another YMB M4 so hopefully I’ll have better luck this time.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 10:41 PM   #17
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F80 - ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
YMB is a tough color to photograph. It's the most affected by light conditions out of any color I've ever seen. Sakhir orange is a close 2nd.

Those wheels are 100% not a factory finish. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Just check them out for imperfections and to see if you like them.
My humble opinion:

1. Be more patient and do much more research.
2. Of the stock colors, YMB can disappoint at times. SO generally is more likely to make you go Wow at all times.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 08:53 AM   #18
tasho_x2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Kraft/Tech Softail. M4 Convert

Quote:
Tasho,

I had emailed the dealership mentioning I would be in town on Saturday to see the car and had an appointment to test drive it. If someone had made the deposit and decided to purchase the car right before I came in, I can see how the salesman didn’t know it was sold and why I wasn’t contacted (if it was any sooner I would have expected a heads up that the car was no longer available). I realize that it could have been a case of bad timing and bad luck so I did not mention the dealership by name and was not meaning to call anybody out. Overall, the dealership has a lot of really nice cars and I would consider going there again, but I was definitely not happy coming back empty handed when I was ready to purchase the car I just finished test driving. I’ve got my eye on another YMB M4 so hopefully I’ll have better luck this time.
Mick,
I apologize for the miscommunication. As I previously mentioned Alex was not aware of the vehicle having a pending deal.
I buy all the cars for the store and would love to find you another one. M4's are selling like 'hot cakes' at the moment and spring is not even here. Have delivered 6 M4/M3's this month out of our location alone.

I'll keep an eye out. If there is specific options you are after (such as YMB) I would definitely do my best to find you one.
2012 CLS63 P31 - 2003 G500 - 2009 Audi S5 Coupe - 2015 Audi SQ5 - 2012 C63 AMG Edition1 - 2011 e90 M3 - 2013 Yamaha R1 - 2013 Mercedes C300 - 2011 Audi S4 - Range Rover SC'd = 2005 SLK55 AMG - 2008 CLS550 Sport - 1998 C43 AMG - 1993 Mitsu 3000GT
Appreciate 1
Poiseuille5362.00
      02-21-2020, 10:13 PM   #19
LVI
BMW Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasho_x2 View Post
Lawrence,

As part of the management team at said store, I can assure you that we are not 'asshats'. As a matter of fact, we had a deposit on the vehicle from a customer coming from ohio. We had no prior contact from Mick so we really didn't know he was coming in to look at the vehicle from 5 hours away. The salesman that helped Mick was unaware of the vehicle having a pending deal on it. The actual buyer, did come later in the day and pick up the car.

I am a car guy myself and do drive a YMB M4. I feel for Mick missing out on it and that's why I had the salesman show all the other cars to him, including the gray one he mentioned and the RS5.
What a wonderful surprise! As they say, three sides to every story. In light of your post, please allow me to take back my asshat statement.

That said, most dealerships, as a best practice, will put a "SOLD" or "SALE PENDING" sign on vehicles that they have accepted a deposit on so that other sales people are aware of that fact, and a) don't test drive the vehicle with other potential customers; and b) they can inform other potentially interested parties that there is currently a deal pending and misunderstandings like the one outlined in the OP can be avoided.

Implementing something similar would probably be beneficial in your store as well, otherwise customers could perceive this type of scenario as an attempt to mislead them by "grenading them in" (i.e. letting them come in knowing that the car is sold) with the intent of putting them in another unit that is there on the lot (i.e. bait and switch). Not saying that's what happened here, or that this was your intent but nonetheless, in this day and age, it's easy to avoid these things, especially when the other party is coming from 5 hours away.

Hope the OP finds what he's looking for.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 10:14 PM   #20
LVI
BMW Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CachacoF80 View Post
My humble opinion:

1. Be more patient and do much more research.
2. Of the stock colors, YMB can disappoint at times. SO generally is more likely to make you go Wow at all times.
that baby blue seems to be all the rage nowadays
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 01:11 AM   #21
Faceplant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Yas marina f80

ymb Is the best color made. if you buy an m, it should be in an m color
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2020, 08:54 PM   #22
Mick50382
Rep

I ended up pulling the trigger on the Yas Marina. Took it out for a spin today and already got 2 compliments on the color. One guy at the gas station asked if it was a custom paint job or wrap because he's never seen a color like it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
doug_9992538.50