ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-31-2014, 08:32 AM   #111
Patronus86
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon View Post
I personally think the difference in size, refinement, comfort, technology and horsepower between 1M & M4 trump the fact that they both have turbos.
The differences in refinement, comfort and technology between the 1M and M4 will only amount to so much. Throttle rev matching, adaptive M Suspension, electronic steering, and different engine tune are the things that come to mind. I know that there will be other differences, but my point is that the old M3 will likely feel just as different from the M4 in most of these areas, but unlike the 1M it does not have the feel of turbo charged 6 Cylinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon View Post
Finding a used 1M later would be tough, and expensive.
Finding a 1M today is still less expensive than getting a new M4 according to the pricing. And I have doubts that the 1M will maintain its high resale value once the M4 goes to market. The real reason for the 1M's value, besides its relatively small numbers, is that it was the the only tuned N54 that BMW offered with all the good M Performance parts (LSD, brakes, suspension, ect.) The M4 will offer everything that the 1M offered and then some. I'm sure the 1M will be sought after by the BMW aficionados, but anyone who likes that car will probably like the M4 (if it lives up to the hype) even better.

Whereas the old M3, as common as it is, is a different car because of the V8. On superficial stuff like appearance and size it may look like the m4, but that S65 NA engine really defined it.

Last edited by Patronus86; 03-31-2014 at 08:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 09:00 AM   #112
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patronus86 View Post
The differences in refinement, comfort and technology between the 1M and M4 will only amount to so much. Throttle rev matching, adaptive M Suspension, different engine tune are the things that come to mind. I know that there will be other differences, but my point is that the old M3 will likely feel just as different from the M4 in most of these areas, but unlike the 1M it does not have the feel of turbo charged 6 Cylinder.

Finding a 1M today is still less expensive than getting a new M4 according to the pricing. And I have doubts that the 1M will maintain its high resale value once the M4 goes to market. The real reason for the 1M's value, besides its relatively small numbers, is that it was the the only tuned N54 that BMW offered with all the good M Performance parts (LSD, brakes, suspension, ect.) The M4 will offer everything that the 1M offered and then some. I'm sure the 1M will be sought after by the BMW aficionados, but anyone who likes that car will probably like the M4 (if it lives up to the hype) even better.

Whereas the old M3, as common as it is, is a different car because of the V8. On superficial stuff like appearance and size it may look like the m4, but that S65 NA engine really defined it.
It's clearly a personal decision because I would keep the 1M.

Obviously the power delivery (and sound) of NA V8 vs turbo I6 can be very different. Just realize that's not the only thing people look at in a car. I'd want cars that do different jobs. A little weekend car for tossing around (1M), and a modern one for serious performance and commuting (M4).

Also, 1M value would be likely not affected by M4 but will probably go down when M2 comes out.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 10:32 AM   #113
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: too many rides....

In regards to the OP's original question, I would also agree to sell the e9x M3 and keep the 1M for now. It is the best value if you are worried about resale.

As far as how the car's will compare, it really is subjective to each person. I never liked the 1M and for me to honestly keep the car in my stable, it has to strike a special cord. I don't care as much about performance as what kind of emotion it stirs up. If I don't like the car's looks then the rest does not matter. Again this is just my opinion and hence I would never own the 1M.

The new M4 is an ugly car in my eyes too so that's another car I would not buy so I guess if it was up to me, neither car would be in my stable. I like the M3 sedans and have always had a soft spot for capable sedans like the e36 m3 sedan and now the F80 m3 sedan. Those would be my top choices.

OP, it's up to you to decide since no one else knows what your goals are, just decide and be happy.
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 08:12 PM   #114
I Love BMW's
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unagi View Post
Don't know if this is any help, but my ///M collection will be Z4 M Coupe and M4 -- I like them together because they are very different character -- Z4 M is brash, wild, tail happy, unaspirated, and attractive (stares and high fives every day) vs M4 is well rounded, faster, modern, and has rear seats. Why don't you wait until you've driven the M4 and then after delivery, keep the combination that together makes you happiest?
I have a Z4 M Coupe and a 1M and had a E93 M3 which I turned in at lease end. They are all great cars, but different in many aspects.

The M Coupe is more "raw" than the others, rev's well and is a blast to drive on the twisty's, but it is a very impractical car.

The 1M is rare, has a ton of torque and handles like a dream - but isn't as "raw" feeling as the M Coupe. Surprisingly it will get 28+ mpg on the highway (or 14 mpg if your running it hard) and you can fit actual people in the back seat.

The E92 M3 is a heavier car, but I love the sound of the V8 at full throttle. Driving it on the Nurburgring was a priceless experience. That being said, I have a new M4 on order to replace it. The new car is lighter and more powerful - a win/win combination in my book!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 11:54 PM   #115
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

If I was you I would definitely wait for (1) the M4 reviews and (2) LCI Comp package. Then decide what you want do with the the E92 M3.

I think most agree that the 1M is a keeper.

The fact that the E92 is even worth considering is a testament to the specialness of the V8. Soon we shall see if the new M4 leapfrogs a ahead of the past or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #116
Poofyo101
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
The V8 is one of the best sounds BMW has ever made IMO (paired with my akrapovic exhaust). Hate that its taking so long for me to get to test drive and read reviews on the M4.
      04-02-2014, 06:00 AM   #117
uae247
Second Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: F80/E90/E30 M3s+1M+Boss 302

I have an E90 M3 and a 1M

Keep the 1M and the E92 M3

The 1M is a keeper
The M3's V8 is just something that cannot be replicated.

It is a hard decision and I rather keep all
But
Dunno

Something needs to be sold
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #118
Poofyo101
Major
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
^exactly so hard.
      04-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #119
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love BMW's
Quote:
Don't know if this is any help, but my ///M collection will be Z4 M Coupe and M4 -- I like them together because they are very different character -- Z4 M is brash, wild, tail happy, unaspirated, and attractive (stares and high fives every day) vs M4 is well rounded, faster, modern, and has rear seats. Why don't you wait until you've driven the M4 and then after delivery, keep the combination that together makes you happiest?
I have a Z4 M Coupe and a 1M and had a E93 M3 which I turned in at lease end. They are all great cars, but different in many aspects.

The M Coupe is more "raw" than the others, rev's well and is a blast to drive on the twisty's, but it is a very impractical car.

The 1M is rare, has a ton of torque and handles like a dream - but isn't as "raw" feeling as the M Coupe. Surprisingly it will get 28+ mpg on the highway (or 14 mpg if your running it hard) and you can fit actual people in the back seat.

The E92 M3 is a heavier car, but I love the sound of the V8 at full throttle. Driving it on the Nurburgring was a priceless experience. That being said, I have a new M4 on order to replace it. The new car is lighter and more powerful - a win/win combination in my book!
All very good points (although I can't confirm the M Coupe comments because I haven't had the fortune to drive one of these beasts!).

Just out of curiosity though, are you familiar with driving the E92 M3 or E93 M3? Regardless, your comments are still fairly valid, but it will certainly make a big difference in how you viewed relative weight between the 1M and the E9X M3. Based on MT's scales, the E92 M3 was roughly 200 lbs (apples to apples given that, as tested, they weighed a DCT M3) heavier than the 1M. If we're talking E93 M3 though, now you're suddenly comparing a car that weighed roughly 700 lbs more than the 1M...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 09:19 PM   #120
Poofyo101
Major
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
With the new M3 pictures that just released...makes this decision ever harder now that the cars are being delivered.
      04-29-2014, 01:46 PM   #121
ny911
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: R35/981 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poofyo101 View Post
With the new M3 pictures that just released...makes this decision ever harder now that the cars are being delivered.
It really depends on how soon you wanna get the F80, no matter Coupe or Sedan. You must get it in a day. It is a good idea to decide after driving the real thing or even the LCI/ZCP launch to get one.

All are good cars, if this happened on me, I would keep cars in different styles, e.g. F80 M3's DCT/4 doors/ straight 6 turocharged and E92 M3 Manual/V8 NA despite 1M might be the best one among 3.

In the US, the market of 1M maybe different, I pretty sure 1M value would go down once M2 hit the market in most part of the world. How's the depreciation for a 08 E92 M3 MT in the US? If one has to be forgone, how would you compare cost of ownership to satisfaction from a new model?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 07:35 AM   #122
I Love BMW's
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper_M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love BMW's
Quote:

All very good points (although I can't confirm the M Coupe comments because I haven't had the fortune to drive one of these beasts!).

Just out of curiosity though, are you familiar with driving the E92 M3 or E93 M3? Regardless, your comments are still fairly valid, but it will certainly make a big difference in how you viewed relative weight between the 1M and the E9X M3. Based on MT's scales, the E92 M3 was roughly 200 lbs (apples to apples given that, as tested, they weighed a DCT M3) heavier than the 1M. If we're talking E93 M3 though, now you're suddenly comparing a car that weighed roughly 700 lbs more than the 1M...
I owned an E93 vert, but have driven the E92 on the Nürburgring, Ascari and Road Atlanta race tracks. It's a sweet car, but I'm thinking the new M4 with the added torque and less weight should be better.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 08:46 AM   #123
timbo_3101
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by uae247 View Post
Keep the 1M and the E92 M3
Thanks UAE for posting everything on the new F8x.

Having just driven the new F8x (DCT) around Istanbul Park, and comparing this to E92 and my track-prepped 1M on circuit, I have admit that the F8x is refined and comfortable. At 200km/h it does not feel fast - it felt somewhat effortless or unemotional - which would be excellent for daily driving, but a disadvantage for road racing. It was also widely comment by participants (mostly M owners, mostly track enthusiasts) that there was a lack of kick as with other turbo engines.

The CCB and steering was more than adequate.
The adaptive suspension was also excellent (peak 1.2g to 1.3g lateral on stock PSS), without installing Clubsport-type coilovers.

Good luck OP with your decision - a difficult decision!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 10:46 PM   #124
Poofyo101
Major
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
New e92 owner coming to pick her up tomorrow. Very sad day indeed.
But now instead of M4 maybe going the GT3 RS route.