Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

01-28-2015, 09:58 AM   #1
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

335i winter wheels on M3?

So I have some basic knowledge of wheels and how they fit (offsets, backspacing...) but I get confused when tirerack says a certain wheel will fit that to me doesn't seem like it should.

Right now I have the following winter wheels for my leased 335i that I was hoping to use on my M3 next winter (love the look of the wheels).

18 X 8.5, 35 mm offset, 6.02" backspacing
I have 225/45/18 tires on them

I realize the offsets are different on the M3 and the recommended winter setup is 8.5" front at ET27 and 9" rear at ET29.

Based on that it appeared that I could buy a 8mm front spacer and 12mm rear spacer and my 335i wheels would work.

BUT then I went to tirerack.com and saw they offer Rial Quinto wheels (not that I would buy those) for winter setup and say you can use OEM lugs and don't mention the need for spacers! These are 18X8 35mm offset 5.9" backspacing.

Based on that wheel from tirerack it makes me think my 335i wheels should work fine without spacers! But may look sunk in too much.

I could always sell my wheels and start over, but like I said I like the look of them and its only for 4 months/year, would like to save some money somewhere
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
So I have some basic knowledge of wheels and how they fit (offsets, backspacing...) but I get confused when tirerack says a certain wheel will fit that to me doesn't seem like it should.

Right now I have the following winter wheels for my leased 335i that I was hoping to use on my M3 next winter (love the look of the wheels).

18 X 8.5, 35 mm offset, 6.02" backspacing
I have 225/45/18 tires on them

I realize the offsets are different on the M3 and the recommended winter setup is 8.5" front at ET27 and 9" rear at ET29.

Based on that it appeared that I could buy a 8mm front spacer and 12mm rear spacer and my 335i wheels would work.

BUT then I went to tirerack.com and saw they offer Rial Quinto wheels (not that I would buy those) for winter setup and say you can use OEM lugs and don't mention the need for spacers! These are 18X8 35mm offset 5.9" backspacing.

Based on that wheel from tirerack it makes me think my 335i wheels should work fine without spacers! But may look sunk in too much.

I could always sell my wheels and start over, but like I said I like the look of them and its only for 4 months/year, would like to save some money somewhere
I have a square setup of APEX EC-7 18X8.5 ET 35 on my car right now. They fit, but the rears are sunken in and look kind of goofy. But, it works and they have been great for the winter. I did switch up to 245/45 tires though.

Edit: On page 3 of this thread I have pics of my car that might help give you an idea of what they look like.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1059939&page=3

Last edited by minn19; 01-28-2015 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #3
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Two issues:
1. Do they fit?
2. How do they look?

On the first issue, it seems some wheels which otherwise seem like they might fit don't clear the brakes. This must be because of the thickness of the wheel metal or the shape of the spokes, or both. The only reliable way to tell is to mount them and see. But you are right about the Rial wheels TireRack sells - those do fit. On the other hand, several 18 inch wheels which have a diameter, width and offset that seem like they should fit apparently do not. Assuming standard brakes, the fittment gets a lot easier (and more exensive) if you go to 19 inch rims. With CCB brakes you must use 19 inch or larger and again be sure your clearances are all good.

2. The issue of appearance is personal. If you like it, great. If you want to use spacers, although some are loathe to ever do it, go ahead. If none of that works and you can't live with it as you say for just a few months each year, buy something you like.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 11:02 AM   #4
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I have a square setup of APEX EC-7 18X8.5 ET 35 on my car right now. They fit, but the rears are sunken in and look kind of goofy. But, it works and they have been great for the winter. I did switch up to 245/45 tires though.

Edit: On page 3 of this thread I have pics of my car that might help give you an idea of what they look like.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1059939&page=3
Thanks for the reply, my current tires are on their 3rd winter already, so the tires will need to be replaced soon anyway, I will also probably switch to the 245/45 at that point. I might just get spacers for the back wheels.

Just looked at your pics, you are right, the front look okay but the back are a little sunken in, the one good thing is less snow/salt kicked up onto the paint!

I think with the 225 rubber I will need spacers for sure, otherwise it will probably look even worse. I have blizzak LM and might want to switch to WS anyway as my new house is on a hill (could cause some issues getting up the driveway in snow) and yes we do have some hills in Illinois!

Last edited by Mako; 01-28-2015 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0