ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

01-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #23
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

i cross shop all cars that i know i would love to have....for instance, an m3, an m4, gtr, z06, 991...i would love to have any of those cars....my choice will depend on whichever one is the most awesomest of this bunch lol....i can care less about utility, number of doors, number of seats, who will fit in it, blah blah....which ever one makes me say HOLY SHIT I will get....
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2014, 02:54 PM   #24
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
i cross shop all cars that i know i would love to have....for instance, an m3, an m4, gtr, z06, 991...i would love to have any of those cars....my choice will depend on whichever one is the most awesomest of this bunch lol....i can care less about utility, number of doors, number of seats, who will fit in it, blah blah....which ever one makes me say HOLY SHIT I will get....
Exactly.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #25
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelowery View Post
I will tell you this. being in my 20s. everyone i know think vettes are just badass. guys love them, chicks love them... they have loud V8 engines, and look like the batmobile. low aggressive stance etc

I will admit i do see where you get that image from, and i have seen that guy in a vert vette driving around.

I think corvettes are liked by "younger people" teenager-20s or those guys you described.

because honestly i am not sure i could see my self with a family, and a respectable job driving around in a Z06 vette.

but right now all i want is loud, fast and cool looking cars. ATM no kids, no family, just fun. (again youth talking)
yeah, when i was in my 20s i didnt think they were badass or great. i thought they had a lot of performance for not a lot of money. but loud and fast....but never really grabbed me.

(and i didnt date the sort of 'chicks' that dug loud cars.....cause i wasnt living in an episode of jersey shore or Fast n Furious. )

in any event, fast cars always appeal to younger people. when i was 10, the countach was the most amazing car i could think of. now....a little garish, no?

in any event, most vettes (and M3s etc. etc. etc.) won't be purchased by people in their 20s (no offence). they'll be purchased by older folks who have more money so that they can drop $70k or $100k on a depreciating asset (especially a swiftly depreciating asset, like a domestic car) so if GM wants to change the image of the typical Vette buyer, they have to aim at an older demographic than yours. (unless they want the Vette to be the new Civic/Mitsubishi....which i am guessing they don't, no offence).

as someone well out of his 20s (who, yes, has a wife (who likes nice cars, just doesnt care if they are loud or badass) and kids) who has the disposable income to choose whatever car I want (short of a supercar), I am in their target demographic....but due to the firmly entrenched image i have, a vette in my driveway would scream 'premature midlife crisis'.

so it is a definite pass for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #26
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
The new 'Vette is a nice car. Certainly, the best thing to come out of Detroit in a LONG time. Good performance, good value, looks better, maybe isn't as cheap looking/plasticky (or literally plastic when it comes to body panels) as various previous versions...). On a pure 'paper/merits' basis, it is a solid choice.

That said......yeah.....I'm not 100% convinced yet it will get past the existing image issues.

As a result of nearly every single Corvette I have seen in the last 15 years, the Corvette buying demographic is firmly and clearly painted in my mind as:

- 50+ years old
- probably balding
- shiny shoes
- barbie doll wife/girlfriend
- Grade 7-ish education
- and I could go on. and on. and on. and on.

In brief: I don't remember the last time I saw one that didn't scream "DB trying to recapture some long distant youth".

(put another way, to borrow from my tumblr blog, on every Corvette I see I expect to find a vanity plate like this: http://myzmak.tumblr.com/tagged/corvette)

I want to find those people and eliminate them from the gene pool. Think of how much better we'd be as a species.....

Maybe this is changing though.

Maybe a new car will turn that all around.

Maybe people with a modicum of sophistication will buy the Stingray.

Maybe an image can be changed (Audi went from 'who? oh. right. hahahaha' 20 years ago to a legit-ish contender with MB and BMW).

But it isn't there yet, and if I'm gonna drop $70k, I'm not gonna be the one to change that image....(assuming, of course, you believe that I'm not a 50+ balding trophy wife sporting fellow....)

So, no. I'll leave the Stingray to others.

ps - none of which is to say BMW owners don't have their own problems with image, including the horrific use/application of vanity plates...... http://myzmak.tumblr.com/tagged/bmw .....<shudder>

I guess what I am saying is, cars do say something about who we are, and if I'm gonna 'self-identify' in a nice car, I'd rather be an M3 owner (with whatever all that means) than a Corvette owner
somebody is too self conscious

i could give a rats ass what people think of me.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #27
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Exactly.
glad there are others like that...cross shopping has NOTHING to do with categories.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #28
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MacanGTS, 991.2GT3, E63wagon

Did someone really start this thread???

lol jk but a C7 has crossed my mind. I am just the first to admit I am too stupid to look past the fact that it is a chevy. I will say it's the first American performance car I have ever considered spending my hard earned money on.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #29
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
....but due to the firmly entrenched image i have, a vette in my driveway would scream 'premature midlife crisis'.

so it is a definite pass for me.
But does it MEAN its a mid life crisis? so you would pass up on a nice car because of an image others would have?

whats the difference in how people will perceive you if you had an m4?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #30
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
But does it MEAN its a mid life crisis? so you would pass up on a nice car because of an image others would have?

whats the difference in how people will perceive you if you had an m4?
A 37 year old with a 2 car garage, one of which is a thoroughly impractical muscle car? With 2 kids under the age of 10 (who have the usual collection of hockey, soccer, skiing, etc. to get to).

I can't think of a reason other than mid-life crisis to get it.

Its just not even the same kind of car. Why not get an Ariel Atom? It is really fast. Or a Lotus Exige? or just buy a civic and soup the hell out of it?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 03:08 PM   #31
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardg View Post
Did someone really start this thread???

lol jk but a C7 has crossed my mind. I am just the first to admit I am too stupid to look past the fact that it is a chevy. I will say it's the first American performance car I have ever considered spending my hard earned money on.
This is the victory of the C7. It is so compelling that it is getting guys that would NEVER consider an american sports car to consider it. If you're in the market for a performance car, you almost have to consider it. Even just a test drive to see and feel in person.

Not that I love everything about this car, but it is a homerun. Props.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 03:10 PM   #32
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
somebody is too self conscious

i could give a rats ass what people think of me.
But isn't the question what GM and its buyers care about? The Stingray represents a very real, determined effort by GM to sell to someone other than the usual demographic for Vettes. GM cares what its market thinks about those who buy the car. Image is incredibly important in selling cars.

The OP asked who would look at a Z06 over an M3. My answer: not me.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #33
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
But isn't the question what GM and its buyers care about? The Stingray represents a very real, determined effort by GM to sell to someone other than the usual demographic for Vettes. GM cares what its market thinks about those who buy the car. Image is incredibly important in selling cars.

The OP asked who would look at a Z06 over an M3. My answer: not me.
your answer is more like: NOT ME (because of what ppl will think of me)

...is my point.

I understand your point and stance but really? Because of what others think?? Because im sure a lot of ppl right now think we are all douchebags because we drive a bmw. That doesn't make me a douchebag at all no matter what ppl think.

...regarding midlife crisis...I will NEVER buy a "mature" or "family" car regardless of how old I am. I guess having a sports car in my garage in the future will be because of a mid life crisis? no, i just love performance cars in general regardless which car i choose to drive....
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 04:18 PM   #34
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

The Z06 screams "look at me". The M3/4 has never been about that. If I wanted a track toy and had a lot of money, I would love to own the Z06.

But most people use their M3/4 as a DD (as do I). I can't see myself driving a Z06 to work everyday. I'm sorry, but they are two different categories of cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 04:32 PM   #35
darkalley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gone- 08 DCT SSII, 2006 SMG
Location: Current: 2014 BMW 4-Series Convert for the fiance w M Package, F150, 06 S2000, 08 911 c4s

I am a 40 yr old guy and my budget for my next car is in the $100k range and my list of cars is as follows- M4, Z06, GTR, 911 (997 Turbo, 991 S, 997 GT3) and R8 (If my ex-wife gets remarried and I stop paying alimony I'm putting an R8 V10 on the list! FYI young kids don't get married without a pre-nup but if you must I offer you this as an alternative to marriage- give me a few hundred grand and I will hit you in the head with a spiked bat covered in salt- way less painful, save you money and aggravation). I plan on driving all the cars and seeing what gets me the most excited to jump into. Won't be a daily driver but 10K miles per year for sure. That's my list and I am sticking to it...
      01-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #36
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkalley View Post
I am a 40 yr old guy and my budget for my next car is in the $100k range and my list of cars is as follows- M4, Z06, GTR, 911 (997 Turbo, 991 S, 997 GT3) and R8 (If my ex-wife gets remarried and I stop paying alimony I'm putting an R8 V10 on the list! FYI young kids don't get married without a pre-nup but if you must I offer you this as an alternative to marriage- give me a few hundred grand and I will hit you in the head with a spiked bat covered in salt- way less painful, save you money and aggravation). I plan on driving all the cars and seeing what gets me the most excited to jump into. Won't be a daily driver but 10K miles per year for sure. That's my list and I am sticking to it...
Well it's good to see you're not bitter about it.

As to your list. Cross out the Z06. A 'Vette in Jersey is just redundant. Good luck with your car of choice!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #37
darkalley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gone- 08 DCT SSII, 2006 SMG
Location: Current: 2014 BMW 4-Series Convert for the fiance w M Package, F150, 06 S2000, 08 911 c4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
Well it's good to see you're not bitter about it.

As to your list. Cross out the Z06. A 'Vette in Jersey is just redundant. Good luck with your car of choice!
Not bitter just trying to save this youngsters some pain and money! In NJ the difference between the E92 M3 and the Corvette is just the age of the Italian behind the steering wheel my friend.... (coming from an Italian)
      01-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #38
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
your answer is more like: NOT ME (because of what ppl will think of me)

...is my point.

I understand your point and stance but really? Because of what others think?? Because im sure a lot of ppl right now think we are all douchebags because we drive a bmw. That doesn't make me a douchebag at all no matter what ppl think.

...regarding midlife crisis...I will NEVER buy a "mature" or "family" car regardless of how old I am. I guess having a sports car in my garage in the future will be because of a mid life crisis? no, i just love performance cars in general regardless which car i choose to drive....
I answered about me personally because that was the original question ("would you....?")

And I was honest. Even if not a DB, I'd feel like one driving a corvette. I'd have to buy Ed Hardy or Affliction shirts. And that would be sad....but I digress...Saying you have no self-image (or image to the world) or that a car does not affect that image or that you don't care about the image just isn't true. Its what we tell ourselves when we are 17, but it just isn't true.

Anyway, you're taking a few things out of context. Having a sports car does not necessarily signal to the world midlife crisis. It probably depends on the make of car and the stage in life you are at. If it makes no sense in your life (ie: trying to get by with only a vette for a family vehicle, impracticality be damned) it would yell "trying to hang on to some life that just is not there right now" - or midlife crisis. However, having a C63 as one of the options in your garage might not.

I'm not sure where the "I will never own a family car" bit comes from, but what constitutes a "family car" in your mind probably matters.

I'm not saying everyone should buy a minivan (I also wouldn't buy one of those, despite the 2 kids). But with a family, I'll absolutely own a useful car for my family and I think you'd be mad not to. (hence the E350 wagon - a beautiful and fantastic car. If only the idiot North American market hadn't chased out the 5 Series wagon and A6 Wagon....but I digress....again.....). Doesn't mean I dont also want something sportier. (and even thought about the E63 wagon....which would have been ridiculous. Fun, but ridiculous. so I compromised....)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 05:16 PM   #39
mikelowery
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M model

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkalley View Post
Not bitter just trying to save this youngsters some pain and money! In NJ the difference between the E92 M3 and the Corvette is just the age of the Italian behind the steering wheel my friend.... (coming from an Italian)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #40
mikelowery
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M model

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
I believe any cross shopping will be between the M4 and C7 Stingray, not Z06. The Z06 is in another league. Compared to the Stingray, the M4, and more so the M3, are more practical cars with their proper back seat and larger trunk.

Performance-wise the M3/M4 are on par with the Stingray although the Vette is likely a little better than the BMWs. But we still have yet to see how well the M3/M4 do. Wouldn't that be something if the M3/M4 surpassed the Vettes performance? But the BMWs will be far outclassed by the Z06.

Cheers.
i disagree its either stingray or M4.

a lot of people buy cars that they can barely afford, and some buy cars that they can easily afford. lots of people that will buy a M car this year could also push to a Z06 vette for another 20 grand.

So i think no matter what people, will cross shop a Z06 and or stingray with M4. because it depends on the individual person.

I was looking into a M4 and also looking at a Z06. i am not saying they are direct competitors! but they are within a personal budget of mine. therefor i look at both cars. if that makes sense.

do i want a maybe more luxury, better daily driving car. that looks great and performance great also. M4

or do i want a animal. Z06

I look at both angles which many people also do!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 05:29 PM   #41
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Z06 is coming with runflats. Interesting.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #42
unagi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
The Stingray is a superior sports car, the M4 is less competitive and more practical. I would have got the Vette if GM had an expat sales program, like BMW does. I researched this option for months and it came down to grey market importing a Stingray, arranging my own shipping, with no warranty, and limited service - not to mention no discount. So I chose the M4. That said, I really wish BMW made a proper sports car, in addition to the sports sedans. The current Z4 is a joke.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #43
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
I answered about me personally because that was the original question ("would you....?")

And I was honest. Even if not a DB, I'd feel like one driving a corvette. I'd have to buy Ed Hardy or Affliction shirts. And that would be sad....but I digress...Saying you have no self-image (or image to the world) or that a car does not affect that image or that you don't care about the image just isn't true. Its what we tell ourselves when we are 17, but it just isn't true.

Anyway, you're taking a few things out of context. Having a sports car does not necessarily signal to the world midlife crisis. It probably depends on the make of car and the stage in life you are at. If it makes no sense in your life (ie: trying to get by with only a vette for a family vehicle, impracticality be damned) it would yell "trying to hang on to some life that just is not there right now" - or midlife crisis. However, having a C63 as one of the options in your garage might not.

I'm not sure where the "I will never own a family car" bit comes from, but what constitutes a "family car" in your mind probably matters.

I'm not saying everyone should buy a minivan (I also wouldn't buy one of those, despite the 2 kids). But with a family, I'll absolutely own a useful car for my family and I think you'd be mad not to. (hence the E350 wagon - a beautiful and fantastic car. If only the idiot North American market hadn't chased out the 5 Series wagon and A6 Wagon....but I digress....again.....). Doesn't mean I dont also want something sportier. (and even thought about the E63 wagon....which would have been ridiculous. Fun, but ridiculous. so I compromised....)
Well argued points.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #44
Ro_Ja Boy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cars

I'm in the same boat as a couple others on here. I cross shop based on what I'd enjoy to own and then decide which one makes the most sense based on price.

Cross shopping the M3 (not M4) and Z06 are on my list over the next year. Oh gawwd...how can he cross-shop a 4-door car and a 2-seater?
Appreciate 0