GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

01-15-2014, 08:40 PM   #23
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

What do used E9X M3 sell for in relation to their original price? What does a used 1M sell for compared to its original price?

That should tell you something.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 10:11 PM   #24
mikelowery
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
What do used E9X M3 sell for in relation to their original price? What does a used 1M sell for compared to its original price?

There is not may cars like the 1m. because of production numbers mainly. its not like the 1m is a crazy car or anything. if you want a car that is most likely going to be worth something than sure get the 1M. if you want a car for pure driving experience. than the 1M, M4 or E92 M are up for debate depending on the person. you cannot sit here and say one is "better".

When people say the E92 will be a classic they are not trying to say its going to be worth a lot in the future. more so meaning the car will be a desired car. it will be desired because.

-last M3 coupe
-first and last V8 (most likely)
- highest revving street M motor
- last natural aspirated M engine AND BMW engine in general. the E92 was still being made when the rest of BMW had turbos.
- Bespoke engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 10:47 PM   #25
Poofyo101
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
I can see there is a lot of debate. Same thing going on in my mind. Haha carry on. Thanks for all the input.
      01-15-2014, 11:53 PM   #26
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey

On top of that, it is INSANELY easy to find a used E9X. It's not like that car is hard to come by.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 11:53 PM   #27
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
An E9X M3 will NEVER be a collectible, just like the E46 isn't a collectible. Far too many were made to render that a possibility.
i guess you didnt fully read what i wrote.
I fully read what you wrote. My response still stands.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 03:31 AM   #28
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

Transplant the V8 into the 1M and get the new M3, so you can take your pick of engines depending on your mood.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 05:21 AM   #29
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

I will keep the 1M and get an M3. One small sporty coupe and one powerful sedan. You will have diversity and value.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 06:46 AM   #30
jjm1970
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90M,13 Sti for now.

Keep the 1M! And stick with the E92 if the F82 doesn't knock your socks off. I have a feeling it will though.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #31
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
An E9X M3 will NEVER be a collectible, just like the E46 isn't a collectible. Far too many were made to render that a possibility.
This. Keep the 1M. And wait for the F8x on order.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 08:10 AM   #32
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
keep the 1M. ditch the E92.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #33
JRV
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3

Sigh...idk why some think only rare = classic. Never say never, these 2 cars already have a cult following. Of course some may think why...M3 has piss poor gas mileage, heavy and lacks big torque in normal driving. There are classics with these attributes and now are desired in our auto evolution to electric and 4 cylinder turbos. They now understand they had something special. OP you have the worst first world problem in your hands lol. I envy your terrible position!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #34
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelowery View Post
There is not may cars like the 1m. because of production numbers mainly. its not like the 1m is a crazy car or anything. if you want a car that is most likely going to be worth something than sure get the 1M. if you want a car for pure driving experience. than the 1M, M4 or E92 M are up for debate depending on the person. you cannot sit here and say one is "better".

When people say the E92 will be a classic they are not trying to say its going to be worth a lot in the future. more so meaning the car will be a desired car. it will be desired because.

-last M3 coupe
-first and last V8 (most likely)
- highest revving street M motor
- last natural aspirated M engine AND BMW engine in general. the E92 was still being made when the rest of BMW had turbos.
- Bespoke engine.
I never said one is better. But an E9X M3 is a dime a dozen. A 1M is not. You can easily find a used E9X M3, a 1M is A LOT harder to find.

1Ms would not be selling used as what they did new if both the owner and buyer didn't think that was the current market. The market is saying the 1M is an extremely valuable vehicle to have. That's probably not going to change anytime soon.

And this whole S65 bespoke engine thing, here we go again.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 03:21 PM   #35
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV View Post
Sigh...idk why some think only rare = classic.
If they do, they are incorrect.

A rare car will always be collectible. That's the nature of collecting as much as anything else.

Any car can be a classic. The E9x is. The 1M is. The E30 M3 is. The E46 M3 is... as agreed by the motoring world over and over again (journalists, punters like us, etc). The F8x will be too.

Classic status does not necessarily equal higher value however. Collectibility invariably does, as a larger group of people are competing to collect the same thing.

Clean (un-modded) low-mileage 1M's will be classic collectibles. Just like the E30Evo models, CSL, GTS etc. All other variants (i.e. higher production), or those with high mileage, dubious track-records, modifications etc, will certainly remain classics but certainly not be collectible.

And hence we have a mountain of cheap, classic cars to choose from.

Amen
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #36
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Ferrari sells more 458's than Dodge sells of the Viper. Does that make the Viper more of a collectible?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #37
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV View Post
Sigh...idk why some think only rare = classic. Never say never, these 2 cars already have a cult following. Of course some may think why...M3 has piss poor gas mileage, heavy and lacks big torque in normal driving. There are classics with these attributes and now are desired in our auto evolution to electric and 4 cylinder turbos. They now understand they had something special. OP you have the worst first world problem in your hands lol. I envy your terrible position!

ALL M3's have a cult following, especially the E30. That low production car is highly sought after.

I agree though, these are 1st world problems for sure. LOL!

Quote:
I never said one is better. But an E9X M3 is a dime a dozen. A 1M is not. You can easily find a used E9X M3, a 1M is A LOT harder to find.

1Ms would not be selling used as what they did new if both the owner and buyer didn't think that was the current market. The market is saying the 1M is an extremely valuable vehicle to have. That's probably not going to change anytime soon.

^^^This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy335 View Post
If they do, they are incorrect.

A rare car will always be collectible. That's the nature of collecting as much as anything else.

Any car can be a classic. The E9x is. The 1M is. The E30 M3 is. The E46 M3 is... as agreed by the motoring world over and over again (journalists, punters like us, etc). The F8x will be too.

Classic status does not necessarily equal higher value however. Collectibility invariably does, as a larger group of people are competing to collect the same thing.

Clean (un-modded) low-mileage 1M's will be classic collectibles. Just like the E30Evo models, CSL, GTS etc. All other variants (i.e. higher production), or those with high mileage, dubious track-records, modifications etc, will certainly remain classics but certainly not be collectible.

And hence we have a mountain of cheap, classic cars to choose from.

Amen

I think you're astute enough to get the gist of what people are trying to say in rebut to the "E9X is going to be a classic" claims (...which is the exact same thing that people said about the E46 when they were busy lambasting the arrival of the E9X). We all know the car is not THAT special. The CSL is special, arguably more special than the E9X GTS.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #38
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: too many rides....

Quite frankly, I would keep the two cars you have, both are unique (at least to you in sentimental value) and just wait.

You can always buy a M4 later on if you want but if I was in your shoes, 2 BMW's is plenty in the household, you need some variety. I rarely buy more than one car in a brand unless it's something really special. You have 2 greats, the M4 won't be a great anytime soon.
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 03:54 PM   #39
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Rarity: 1M > E92
Classic: E92 > 1M
Uniqueness: E92 > 1M
Best: highly subjective and I haven't driven the 1M but here are some comparisons which is a mixed bag. The OP owns both though so he should know what is "best" for him.

"This special sensation is what the 1M most lacks, but that's not to say it disappoints."
"The 1M doesn't measure up to the M3's standard. Few cars do."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2qbGbVHul

"How does it compare to the M3 overall? Well, it’s a very different beast. The ride is harder and EDC dampers wouldn’t go amiss, the engine is nothing like as satisfying but its power is much more accessible and the handling balance itself is broadly comparable: no understeer, great traction and easy to balance beyond the limit. The difference is that the transition to get the thing sliding smoothly is very tricky to master. That might seem unimportant but it’s a huge part of the M car appeal for me. No question, I’d rather have the M3."

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/...m-test-review/

"There’s a certain satisfaction to be had from driving this car well, a feeling that one has had to do everything right rather than relying on the car’s capabilities to cut a fast lap. As much fun as I’ve had in the M3 over the years, I’ve always felt that I was failing to do justice to its true capabilities, as if the car itself deserved most of the credit whenever I drove especially well. The 1 M demands more skill on the part of its driver, and it rewards him or her with an immense feeling of satisfaction when everything is done just right."

http://www.bimmer-mag.com/issues/102...3#.UthUO3-9KSM

I'm not interested in a long 1M vs E9XM debate so excuse me if I don't respond to comments to this
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #40
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Rarity: 1M > E92 (objective)
Classic: E92 > 1M (extremely subjective)
Uniqueness: E92 > 1M (subjective)
Again, the market says the 1M is more valuable. That's not only because it is rare, but also for those two other reasons you posted.

There are plenty of cars that are rare and aren't worth a thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #41
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Uniqueness: E92 > 1M (subjective)

Nope objective, the 1M is not that different to a M135/M235i.
Name one BMW in history that is equally or more similar to the E9X M3.

Last edited by solstice; 01-16-2014 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 04:13 PM   #42
mikelowery
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M model

Quote:

i am just saying the only reason why the 1m is worth talking about is the production numbers. the car it self is not that amazing of a car. its just a modded 1 series. its not even really a M car. M just put some parts on it.

my point if you do not care about rareness or how much it would be worth. the E92 might be worth keep to some over the 1m
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 04:14 PM   #43
M2Crew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Again, the market says the 1M is more valuable. That's not only because it is rare, but also for those two other reasons you posted.

There are plenty of cars that are rare and aren't worth a thing.
They only made 700-something of these cars. If they only made 700 E92 M3s, they'd be worth 6-figures.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #44
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelowery View Post
i am just saying the only reason why the 1m is worth talking about is the production numbers. the car it self is not that amazing of a car. its just a modded 1 series. its not even really a M car. M just put some parts on it.

my point if you do not care about rareness or how much it would be worth. the E92 might be worth keep to some over the 1m
And I'm just saying that the 1M is not valuable just because it is rare. Like I said before, there are a lot of rare cars out there that aren't valuable.
Appreciate 0