Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

View Poll Results: Would a +500 hp Benz C-Class bother you after buying an F8X?
Not at all. 136 69.39%
Heck, yeah. 16 8.16%
Secretly, yes mildly ticked off. 44 22.45%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

02-05-2014, 01:18 AM   #45
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
No.

The M car has the perfect balance of power, handling, looks and heritage.
Plus as has already been mentioned. 6MT. It's a must.

425 HP is overkill on the street anyway. I can barely use the measly 240HP in my 328i on the street.

I drove my cousins F13 M6 DCT. It has what...500+ HP? It was explosively fast. Stupid fast. Crazy, effortlessly fast. The new M3 M4 is supposed to be as quick as that car.... I don't care what the new C has. I'll be worshiping my M4.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 01:22 AM   #46
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee-m-w
BMW is going out of the gate with a tuned 335i and an ECU more locked down than Fort Knox. The competition is strong. They shouldn't even sell this car in the US without a "competition package" or whatever makes a BMW fast.
Yup. And an M5 is just a tuned 550i. After all, it's only 100 HP more.

Try again.
Troll?
      02-05-2014, 01:33 AM   #47
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

I would be more jealous of the V8 exhaust note. But the new M3 is going to be a fantastic car otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 02:14 AM   #48
smashhell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31
No.

The M car has the perfect balance of power, handling, looks and heritage.
Plus as has already been mentioned. 6MT. It's a must.

425 HP is overkill on the street anyway. I can barely use the measly 240HP in my 328i on the street.

I drove my cousins F13 M6 DCT. It has what...500+ HP? It was explosively fast. Stupid fast. Crazy, effortlessly fast. The new M3 M4 is supposed to be as quick as that car.... I don't care what the new C has. I'll be worshiping my M4.
Not 500hp. Supposedly the new M5/M6 are tested to puts out 600+hp stock.
They are Extremely underrated by BMW.
      02-05-2014, 03:05 AM   #49
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
No.

That all depends on where you live. I certainly can and will use every bit of that 425HP here in Germany...on the daily basis.

Last edited by Chill72; 02-05-2014 at 03:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 06:24 AM   #50
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I know I will sound biased but I would always pick the bmw over the MB not bc of power but bc the MB look wise doesn't appeal to me.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 06:27 AM   #51
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
Quote:
BMW is going out of the gate with a tuned 335i and an ECU more locked down than Fort Knox. The competition is strong. They shouldn't even sell this car in the US without a "competition package" or whatever makes a BMW fast.
Wow! Just wow!
Really the new age of car is the technology age. From here on out it's going to be about making cars more efficient and lighter weight. At least they are staying ahead of the curve and evolving something bmw has always been great at. The age of big motors is coming to a end for European cars. With new emission standards and advancements in technology big V8 will be a thing of the past. Even the highest performing supercars at the moment. The Mcclaren P1 and Porsche 918 are hybrids. Staying ahead of the curve is key and you can tell BMW is doing this with the new M3/M4 and developing products like the new i8 and i3.
Correct.

There will be both a C63 AND a C45. Note the C63's engine is down to 4 liters now.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 07:44 AM   #52
JRV
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
This

And the fact it will be 3600+ lbs and I don't like the new c class styling

I plan on keeping this m3 for a while. If I need more power I'll just tune and mod this, though IMO it will rip even in stock form
Completely agree, the lack of 6MT and even more weight keeps me away from the Merc, for myself that is. My wife's C300 4Matic is a nice DD though
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 07:55 AM   #53
Imola3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mk.7 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by camber View Post
No.

Because 6 MT.
Agreed. Also the car may have the extra power but we all know it will be a very heavy car. At least 200lb on the M

Last edited by Imola3; 04-23-2014 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #54
dreamsongs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 - E92 M3 - 335i vert

Everything that's been said and I'll add that BMW is notorious for underrating their HP output. Why ? I'm not sure, but I'm almost certain it will be more than 431....more like 450 HP plus the extra torque. That's more than enough to lose your driver's license if you drive it like it's meant to be.

In any case, we don't have any autobahns here in the US so straight line brutality doesn't always attract most drivers otherwise they'd be all driving Mustang Shelbys. It's what you feel when you sit behind the wheel that counts. And BMW is the one of the best at that...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #55
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs View Post
Everything that's been said and I'll add that BMW is notorious for underrating their HP output. Why ? I'm not sure, but I'm almost certain it will be more than 431....more like 450 HP plus the extra torque. That's more than enough to lose your driver's license if you drive it like it's meant to be.

In any case, we don't have any autobahns here in the US so straight line brutality doesn't always attract most drivers otherwise they'd be all driving Mustang Shelbys. It's what you feel when you sit behind the wheel that counts. And BMW is the one of the best at that...
They definitely were not notorious for it on the E9x M3 lol. Not to say this car won't be more than they state.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 09:41 AM   #56
Algol
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

No. Mercs always make gobs of power but have a hard time putting it down. Dont get me wrong every AMG I have driven has put a smile on my face, but M cars give me a bigger smile..hence the M4 purchase. If you want to be queen of the dyno then just get your car tuned.

One thing is for sure, I will be deeply jealous of the way the C63 will sound.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #57
UK6
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & 330e

Old men and taxi drivers like Mercs, I am neither
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 10:06 AM   #58
gee-m-w
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S4

Everyone is pretty sensitive here. This car is $80,000 with tax and BMW should pull all of the stops out to make it how the buyers the want it. It's a software defined engine. They can sell it to us with 480 HP by changing one line of code. If they choose not to, we shouldn't defend them and apologize.

I'm not going to not get what I want just because it's the BMW way. Maybe they will get their act together before I have to buy another car. Maybe they won't. But the 2015 model package is not looking like what I want yet. I don't want to compromise and then re-purchase the car when they fix it.

Last edited by gee-m-w; 02-05-2014 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #59
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

I actually LIKE the idea of BMW and the F8x taking more driver & handling based approach to driving enjoyment rather than worrying about the power numbers on paper. Same thing goes for the RWD vs AWD argument; AWD may be better for grip but it is not more fun for the driver.. BMW believes in producing the best drivers cars, i.e. Ultimate Driving Machines. Power does not always equal better car. I remember watching a review of the 2013 Shelby GT500 that had 600+ horsepower and the reviewer came to the conclusion that the 500hp version was better because 600+ is too much for that car to put down and thus, it ruined the experience.

This to me is like comparing a gold Timex watch vs. a steel Rolex GMT. Sure the Timex is gold, but the craftsmanship of the Rolex is something much more worthy of appreciation by people who know what they are talking about. Anybody can make a POS watch with gold parts, but not just anybody can match the true craftsmanship of something like a Rolex or Panerai.
      02-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #60
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

personally, since the power numbers are only numbers on paper, I won't care much. to me, it will all come down to the experience and the feeling of the car. if the M3 proves to be a more fun car to drive, that's where I'll spend my money. isn't the new C63 supposed to be AWD? that alone is a deal killer, as is the transmission choices available. also, if the C63 ends up being more fun to drive, wait a year and BMW will probably fix that. I have a hard time believing they will allow the C63 to be a faster car on the track, particularly when they can dial-in more power so easily.

I guess to me the M is really only competing with the car it's replacing, and whether the extra money for the new model is justified by the improved experience. if this car disappoints (which I highly doubt it will), I'll be happy driving around in the glorious e9X M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #61
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Everyone is pretty sensitive here. This car is $80,000 with tax and BMW should pull all of the stops out to make it how the buyers the want it. It's a software defined engine. They can sell it to us with 480 HP by changing one line of code. If they choose not to, we shouldn't defend them and apologize.

I'm not going to not get what I want just because it's the BMW way. Maybe they will get their act together before I have to buy another car. Maybe they won't. But the 2015 model package is not looking like what I want yet. I don't want to compromise and then re-purchase the car when they fix it.
You're one high strung dude sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #62
bmwluvr24
Driving Mika all over California.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee-m-w View Post

Sensitivity has nothing to do with it. You say stupid shit. We call you out. I find it hard to believe that much more can be squeezed out of a set of turbos that normally operate at 200,000 rpm. That sounds pretty on-the-limit to me. It isn't a simple ECU crack to up the boost and change air/fuel mixture. If you change out the turbos, you lose the no-lag feature, but yeah you might get more power. I hope you will do a bit more reading before spouting such ridiculousness. Or better yet, just wait to see what the results are after a few trusted people get to test it. That is what I am waiting for.
      02-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #63
dreamsongs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 - E92 M3 - 335i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishhead24 View Post
Sensitivity has nothing to do with it. You say stupid shit. We call you out. I find it hard to believe that much more can be squeezed out of a set of turbos that normally operate at 200,000 rpm. That sounds pretty on-the-limit to me. It isn't a simple ECU crack to up the boost and change air/fuel mixture. If you change out the turbos, you lose the no-lag feature, but yeah you might get more power. I hope you will do a bit more reading before spouting such ridiculousness. Or better yet, just wait to see what the results are after a few trusted people get to test it. That is what I am waiting for.
I agree with this as well....I think those turbos are pretty maxed out and it won't be quite that easy to squeeze too much more power out of this engine.

There are people out there that do like "more HP" and that's all they will care about. For some guys it's like "who has the bigger penis"... I have more HP than you, my car is better etc. kinda thinking. I guess it's what makes a market so it's all good.

I wouldn't discount the Merc just yet as far as performance and weight, they might surprise us. But I don't like the styling that much compared to the M4 so having an extra 50 HP but sacrificing looks doesn't cut it for me....
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 11:02 AM   #64
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs View Post
I agree with this as well....I think those turbos are pretty maxed out and it won't be quite that easy to squeeze too much more power out of this engine.

There are people out there that do like "more HP" and that's all they will care about. For some guys it's like "who has the bigger penis"... I have more HP than you, my car is better etc. kinda thinking. I guess it's what makes a market so it's all good.

I wouldn't discount the Merc just yet as far as performance and weight, they might surprise us. But I don't like the styling that much compared to the M4 so having an extra 50 HP but sacrificing looks doesn't cut it for me....
I hope the turbos are not maxxed out. They probably wouldn't last very long at max duty. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #65
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishhead24 View Post
I dont believe they are maxed out, its to be seen but I will hold out some hope.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #66
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

I seriously doubt BMW did a stock factory tune with the turbos running at the ragged edge. That doesn't make any sense for BMW to do that.

I'm sure there is something left.
Appreciate 0